Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Buckle
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so WoW-FA arrived in the post yesterday. Components all looked good - I especially like the artwork (FFG should consider making some large maps to game on).

Onto the games - I played 2 solo dogfight games to start with as a) I was in on my own (!) b) I needed to test my rules knowledge. the first game was good but I realised afterwards that the reason the game was over so quickly was because I was testing for firing range after each player moved - not after each round of movement. Oops. Second game lasted a bit longer as I adopted the correct rules

Enjoyed these solo games despite the fact that the dogfight games really need the secrecy of selecting the 3 cards from the movement deck. I suppose playing solo means you encourage the planes to fly towards each other rather than guessing wrong and flying past each other.

Which brings me onto my 3rd game against my wife. Cath only likes "party games" like Trivial Pursuits and such like. So after I finally persuaded her with words like "Its dead easy to play" and "It will be over in 20 minutes tops" she agreed. Just as I handed her the movement deck and opened my mouth to explain what they were she said "I'm tired - if you have to explain any rules to me I don't want to play" !!!! After a short argument where I explained that I had to tell her some rules otherwise it was completely pointless she agreed to continue. Cath maneuvered her plane towards mine but then veered off erratically - this turned out to be due to the fact that she hadn't looked at the cards properly and thought that the plane was going to be going somewhere else. So we did spend a fair few minutes flying past each other, turning and then doing the same. Eventually we both got a few shots in but had to end the game prematurely with the damage scores at 8-7 in my favour. She then said it was okay and sh'ed play it again - result !

So my first impressions are - I'm hooked ! Gameplay is fast and furious and the basic rules are simple to learn in 5 minutes.

Recommended !

Buks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
buks wrote:
Just as I handed her the movement deck and opened my mouth to explain what they were she said "I'm tired - if you have to explain any rules to me I don't want to play" !!!!

Wow...you must be married to my wifes long, lost twin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Buckle
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris,

I was shocked when she agreed to play but gobsmacked when she said that about the rules !

Buks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.