BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Card Game End Scoring Systems rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Johansson
msg tools
mbmb
Hello!
What are your favorite scoring systems for card games? I am specifically looking for end game scoring systems for games where you buy/draft/trade cards thereby building up your private stash of cards as the game progresses. When the game ends you score this private stash. One example would be Sushi Go that includes:
*Set collection
*Pairs/triples of icons
*Majorities.

This is kind of an open question, but I’m just interested in what different and fun systems are out there. Preferably fast scoring systems ie where you do not need paper and pen to do the calculations.

Any suggestions on games I should check out is immensely appreciated.
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy
1. Point on cards
2. 6-cost development scoring (kinda like set collection but the set only scores if you have a card that makes it score)
3. (VP chips acquired during the game)

Gaining points when you play cards - Star Realms (if you view it as a race to 50 points rather than a race to kill you opponent)

If you're looking for ways of keeping score then:

VP chips
Points on the back of cards (Bohnanza)
Score board (e.g. Cribbage)
Dedicated scoring cards (e.g. Star Realms)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have some stuff (let's go with fruit) then here are some ways of scoring. I'm not considering whether the fruit are cards or are symbols on cards here. I've just made up the names for things that I've seem in games. I'm not sure if all these would apply to the kind of game you're thinking of:

Majority - If you have more melons than everyone less combined score 10
Plurality - If you have the most oranges scores the 5 (ties can be dealt with in more than one way - everyone scores 5, everyone scores zero, split the 5 between you)
Linear - score 2 points for each apple
Groups - score 2 point for each pair of pears
Non-linear set collection - 2 bananas = 1 point, 3 bananas = 2 points, 4 bananas = 4 points (e.g. Bohnanza) - could also have decreasing rewards for collection more but that'd depend on how your game worked.
Recipes - if you have a bunch of grapes, 2 apples and an orange score 5 points
Races - if you are the first person to have 3 different fruit score 5 points

Any of these could be built in ways of scoring (e.g. Apples might say they are worth 2 points on the card) or might occur during the game (e.g. you draw a card that says "apples are worth 2 points each).

Some suggestions for games: Ra/Priests of Ra (probably Reiner Knizia in general), Bohnanza, Eight-Minute Empire, Eight-Minute Empire: Legends, Coloretto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Kotlowitz
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
mb
I really like Dominions where the VP cards mostly clog up your hand and are pretty much just a nuisance until the end of the game.

Although to be honest, I haven't played many other card drafting games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Grisham

Indiana
msg tools
mb
zabdiel wrote:
If you have some stuff (let's go with fruit) then here are some ways of scoring. I'm not considering whether the fruit are cards or are symbols on cards here. I've just made up the names for things that I've seem in games. I'm not sure if all these would apply to the kind of game you're thinking of:

Majority - If you have more melons than everyone less combined score 10
Plurality - If you have the most oranges scores the 5 (ties can be dealt with in more than one way - everyone scores 5, everyone scores zero, split the 5 between you)
Linear - score 2 points for each apple
Groups - score 2 point for each pair of pears
Non-linear set collection - 2 bananas = 1 point, 3 bananas = 2 points, 4 bananas = 4 points (e.g. Bohnanza) - could also have decreasing rewards for collection more but that'd depend on how your game worked.
Recipes - if you have a bunch of grapes, 2 apples and an orange score 5 points
Races - if you are the first person to have 3 different fruit score 5 points

Any of these could be built in ways of scoring (e.g. Apples might say they are worth 2 points on the card) or might occur during the game (e.g. you draw a card that says "apples are worth 2 points each).

Some suggestions for games: Ra/Priests of Ra (probably Reiner Knizia in general), Bohnanza, Eight-Minute Empire, Eight-Minute Empire: Legends, Coloretto.

Some of my favorite games mix a bunch of these up. Like 7 Wonders:
Blue cards each have a static point value on them.
You get points at the end of each round for having more shields than one or both neighbors (mostly from red cards).
Green cards are formulaic. 7 points for a set (one of each symbol), plus the square of the total of each symbol.
Yellow cards get you coins or get you points based on how much you have built of a certain type.
Purple cards earn points based on what your neighbors have built (most of the time)
Extra coins are worth one point for every three coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Grisham

Indiana
msg tools
mb
You can mix it up other ways, too.

Pinochle, a trick taking game, has two scoring phases. At the start of the round, players score from showing sets that are in their hand. And then certain cards are worth points if you have them at the end of the game. It's a little more complicated with the bidding, but I think so few people understand the game anyway.

There are games that have players avoid certain cards, like hearts or the Queen of Spades in Hearts, or curses in Dominion. Getting these cards comes with a penalty.

Other games have players guess and bid on the number of tricks they will take like Bridge, Spades, and Screwy Lewy/Mormon Bridge (not sure what normal people call this one, it plays like spades, but uses a Rook deck and has no partners). Scoring is largely based on whether your bid was correct, or how close to your bid you are.

Roles,(hidden or public)like in Lords of Waterdeep or Terror in Meeple City get players extra points for certain cards or sets.

That's all I've got for now. I'll try to add links to the games I mentioned when I have more time. I'll also update if I think of any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.