$30.00
$5.00
$15.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Solo variant only valid when including Corporate Era project cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Smith
United States
Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rulebook, the solo variant is described as "Solo variant for Corporate Era". Does that mean I must include the Corporate Era (CE) project cards in my project deck when playing solo? I thought the CE cards do not directly affect the global parameters, so including them would mean drawing more cards that make it harder to win the solo game, seeing as you have limited generations to raise all global parameters to their maximum level.

Please clarify if the intent of the solo game is to include all CE project cards in the project deck (and have available the two CE Corporation cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
In the rulebook, the solo variant is described as "Solo variant for Corporate Era". Does that mean I must include the Corporate Era (CE) project cards in my project deck when playing solo? I thought the CE cards do not directly affect the global parameters, so including them would mean drawing more cards that make it harder to win the solo game, seeing as you have limited generations to raise all global parameters to their maximum level.

Please clarify if the intent of the solo game is to include all CE project cards in the project deck (and have available the two CE Corporation cards).

Yes, the CE cards (including corps) should be added in the solo version.

The solo game is balanced with the CE cards for two reasons. First, we wanted a varied experience with all the possibilities that comes with the full game (CE). I'd say that without CE, you're missing out on a lot of cool stuff. Second, CE allows you to follow different strategies, including economy of different sorts, and even multiple ways to gain VPs if you are already sure to reach the goal.

I think the solo game may actually be harder without the CE cards, since the 14 generations is a long time and you need to get production up early in order to succeed. CE has a lot of economy.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fryxen wrote:
mvettemagred wrote:

Yes, the CE cards (including corps) should be added in the solo version.

The solo game is balanced with the CE cards for two reasons. First, we wanted a varied experience with all the possibilities that comes with the full game (CE). I'd say that without CE, you're missing out on a lot of cool stuff. Second, CE allows you to follow different strategies, including economy of different sorts, and even multiple ways to gain VPs if you are already sure to reach the goal.

I think the solo game may actually be harder without the CE cards, since the 14 generations is a long time and you need to get production up early in order to succeed. CE has a lot of economy.

Cheers!

Gotcha. Thanks for the response. And thanks to Matt for the original question. I've tried solo twice without the Corporate Era cards and gotten smacked. Ha, ha. Still fun. Looking forward to trying it with the full mix next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mokey D Luffy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe this will help me. I was trying to learn the game, and set it up as recommended for the first game. When I saw that solo starts with zero production on anything, I was worried, and I am now halfway through the game, my production has barely moved at all, and Mars isn't terraformed really at all.

I wish I had been able to demo this at GenCon. They were always so busy, and just starting a demo when I stopped by, but I did not expect to sit down with the game and feel as if I could accomplish nothing. I hope those extra cards will help out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mokey D Luffy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the game is very different when including all of the cards and real corporations. After struggling, and losing, twice with the basic setup, I succeeded on the final round with everything in play. When it was done, I ended up using 8 of the CE cards, 17 of the basic, and winning with a score of 83.

There was definitely more variety in what I could do, and the progression of my income worked better. I barely had anything happening by Round 7, but by Round 10 I was clicking. It was a close call, but I felt much better about this playthrough than the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won a game with 85 points without using the CE cards. It seems the solo game is designed to have a slow ramp up in terraforming, with most of the progress coming in the last 5-7 generations.

I'm at generation 10 in my first game including the CE cards, and while some of my production has ramped up more quickly, and I'm doing well on oceans and oxygen, the temperature is still really low. When I finish the game I'll post back here tonight with the results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing using the recommended Corporate Era setup and after 3 consecutive defeats, I finally managed a victory (this time with the Mining Guild), achieving a score of 78 points.

The key was getting a good engine going as soon as possible. I had science cards working together that were bumping oxygen and temperature up a level each turn.

Didn't need to place as many greenery tiles as I usually do (this sacrificed some VP's, however). Not a single city was born (other than the two random ones to start play), which cut potential VP's as well.

Energy production skyrocketed which led to increased heat and temperature bumps. It really pays to construct some power plants ($11 standard project) when getting started.

On the last turn I had enough money to purchase the parameter increases I needed, and Mars was successfully terraformed.

A very satisfying solo experience...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another solo effort (this time with ThorGate) and I came up 1 heat(!) short of raising the last temperature step for the win on Generation 14. What a nail-biter of a session!

This game is fantastic, I am having so much fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I am trying to win the solo game with all corporations. Are you up for the challenge? I just started. 2 sessions yet, 1 win. I have done this before, but only with a prototype expansion which adds a few rules, so I feel it doesn't count. Maybe I should start a solo challenge thread...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord_Aethan wrote:
I am trying to win the solo game with all corporations.

I'm 6 solo plays in (each with a different corporation), 2 wins (Mining Guild and United Nations Mars Initiative) so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wingfeather saga
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys are killing me! The pre-order is coming soon right?! RIGHT!?

Keep having fun, and I will keep living vicariously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Love Nilsson
Sweden
Trelleborg
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmb
Around 10 days 04 hours 55 minutes until I get my copy. *fingers crossed*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Mason

Illinois
msg tools
I'm afraid I'm still confused on a few things tegarding Solo Play:

1. It says that players start with no extra production. Does this mean all production levels are at 0, or does it mean that regardless of corporation, production levels all start at 1?

2. Someone mentioned elsewhere that in solo play, players take as many actions as they have resources for. Are solo players intended to still only take 1-2 actions per generation? I couldn't find anything about extra actions anywhere in the rules.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jemason921 wrote:
I'm afraid I'm still confused on a few things tegarding Solo Play:

1. It says that players start with no extra production. Does this mean all production levels are at 0, or does it mean that regardless of corporation, production levels all start at 1?

You start with everything at zero. Then you chose your corporation and modify your production accordingly.

Quote:

2. Someone mentioned elsewhere that in solo play, players take as many actions as they have resources for. Are solo players intended to still only take 1-2 actions per generation? I couldn't find anything about extra actions anywhere in the rules.

I think you misunderstood the rules. In multilayer games you have as many actions per generation as you want. You have 1-2 actions per TURN. Then all others take their turn . Then it is your turn again with 1-2 actions. You can take turns this way until you pass.
When everyone but you has passed (or in Solo games ) you have as many turns with 1-2 actions as you want. But there is no need to be precise about what action belongs to what turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odyzeus Longbow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah I've missed the rule about starting with 0 production in a solo variant.

I started with a production of 1, Beginner corporation and no CE cards, managed to win at generation 13, thought with a relatively low score of 50ish, as I threw away anything that would only achieve points.

After reading this thread, for a moment I thought I've made another mistake and that a normal game ALSO starts with a production of 0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmb
You start with zero production if you use the corporate era deck, no matter player count. Standard game starts with one production.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.