Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed in my short 3-4 years of gaming, that some people have very particular tastes when it comes to boardgaming. Some people only like very specific types of games. Some people won't touch an ameritrash game with a 10 foot dice tower, and some feel the same about Euro's. But I like a lot of different kinds of games, and I'm really happy about that. I can sit down and enjoy a game of The Gallerist, or have the same amount of fun with Kemet or Cosmic Encounter. I guess I'm just really happy for the variety in different kinds of games there are.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with having preferences, or different tastes, of course not. I just personally love the variety that's out there.

I think part of it is also that I'm still discovering new games all the time, whether they be recent Gen Con releases or classic games I never had the chance to play. I've got hundreds of games played under my belt already, but there's still so much to discover.

Just saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't agree more I've only been into boardgaming for a relatively short time, so I'm partially still discovering what I like and what I don't. But so far I have found games I love and games I... don't love across the genres. I lean towards Euros, but also love the drama dice chucking brings to the table. There are just so many awesome games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wormaap wrote:
Couldn't agree more I've only been into boardgaming for a relatively short time, so I'm partially still discovering what I like and what I don't. But so far I have found games I love and games I... don't love across the genres. I lean towards Euros, but also love the drama dice chucking brings to the table. There are just so many awesome games!

I used to be really turned off by area control and combat, like I was adamantly against it, but a friend introduced me to Tikal and my perspective on area control changed, then later, a different friend introduced me to Blood Rage and I was hooked. I'm still not great at figuring out how to spread out my troops in a game like Kemet or Eclipse, but I enjoy the experience. And I think it helps that there are Euro elements to those games.

I'd say I'm at the level where I know what I like and don't like, but I can still be surprised sometimes when I play a game with elements I dislike and still have a lot of fun with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although...I'd imagine it'd be a lot cheaper to only like some types of games...

Pete (knows a guy who only plays one game and is enthralled by the concept)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Although...I'd imagine it'd be a lot cheaper to only like some types of games...

I think you are right, but on the other hand, those ASL guys might disagree. That stuff can get expensive on its own.

I'm finally starting to be a bit more discriminating after 35 years. I was a wargammer when I was a teenager and moved away from that in college. The euros now are all starting to blend and I'm going to make an effort to play more wargames from here on out.

Plus, a guy moved in across the street that says he played a lot of wargames growing up and would like to start playing again. He is a Civil War guy while I am more an ancients guy, but I'm sure we can come up with something that will work.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Blackford
United States
Huber Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hi-diddly-ho, neighborino!
badge
"I'll have a Shirley... No, a virgin... No, a children's... Oh, what the heck? You only live once. Give me a white wine spritzer! "
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed the same, and I can't imagine missing out on all the fantastic games from every "genre" of game types/mechanics. Some days I want to get lost in a thematic game, other days I want to farm or build. Some days I need socialization with party or group games, and other days I want to spend hours playing a single solo wargame.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is that I love this hobby and the variety it has!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I only like card games myself and I'm glad, because it means I am not tempted to spend much more money in other game types!

I dislike anything that has a board and cubes. Strongly. I like playing combos or laughing, which means either silly party games or card games.

I like that you have to fight against different odds each time, due to the randomization that cards allow. I don't like it when you only have one or two actions during your turn, and those actions are... pushing a cube there to gather a cube of another colour. Putting a meeple there so you have more than the other players.

I like playing a card which makes me draw more cards which give me a ton of things I suddenly can do because I worked hard to be able to. Or because I have built my deck so that I could.

I found that this feeling could not be reached through a lot of other kind of games I tried.

So that's that: tried it. Didn't like it. Keeping away from it and focusing on the only genre I like

I've recently backed some games that stretch it a bit with Dark Souls and The 7th Continent, though. We'll see if it changes my mind. I still like Survive! but mostly because to me, it's a silly party game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus-Gunther Herzog
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
Some people only like very specific types of games. Some people won't touch an ameritrash game with a 10 foot dice tower, and some feel the same about Euro's.

Great. Now I want a ten foot dice tower. Good thing I'm not married anymore. My wife would have killed me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mmmmm...delicious cheese coney...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever heard the term "Scratch the Itch"? I think this scratching is why some people focus so heavily on certain game genres. For example they don't get much from the fantastical story elements of the Ameri-Trash genre, but they totally crave building an economic engine and tweaking it to maximum production.

Being varied in your tastes is to your benefit, particularly at social gamer gatherings. You can meet the most interesting people when you try something new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
Some people won't touch an ameritrash game with a 10 foot dice tower...

Well of course they won't, they wouldn't even touch the dice tower!

Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that I like certain games but I'm willing to try any.

For me the enjoyment of the hobby is getting to play with my friends and enjoy a variety of games. My favorite three games of all time are Ghost Stories, Wiz-War, and Star Wars: Rebellion. By this, I would be tossed out with the (Ameri)trash.

Ultimately though, I enjoy Caverna, Lords of Waterdeep, Alhambra and other Euros, and I also enjoy party games, Time Stories, and the classic "Mafia" or "Mau." As with anything, it's all in context. I think when players are focused on their own personal enjoyment instead of the enjoyment of a group of players, that's when they are a lot more specific in what they will and won't play. To me the hobby is about bringing people together and having a good time, not entertaining myself.

If done in the right mindset, even games that I normally wouldn't play will bring my excitement and a good time. After all, that's the spirit of community and companionship eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Rollins
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
I feel the same way! My choices are all over the place. Heavy and light games, themes all over the place, big group or 2-player. As a player, I like the variety. As a designer, I like the learning experiences that come with seeing a lot of games in action.

Granted, I buy very few games, but I play a lot at meet-ups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree! I love variety. I go through phases where I want to play a certain type of game, but eventually I get bored with sameness so I like the be able to change things up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really interesting and a nice challenge to leave the own comfort zone from time to time, even if it only goes as far as to reading reviews or rulebooks.

Even if you have not found a new brillant game you would like to add to your shelves, this little exercise helps with realising and defining the own taste in board games, as you can't really say that you don't like game/genre X unless you gave it a try or some time for objective research.

I try to keep my collection as varied as possible. Owning a lot of very different games means that I usually have a game for every occasion (number of players, time available, complexity, ect.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wionzek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Pete (knows a guy who only plays one game and is enthralled by the concept)

There's tons of those folks, though. We call them Magic players.

(It's not really any cheaper for them.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've honestly found the only games I tend to dislike are heavy wargames and mid to heavy euros with pasted on themes. (based on style, obviously if I think a game is just badly designed I'll dislike it)

Give me a Euro with a strong theme (Dungeon Petz) and I'll love it, to the point it is one of my three favorite games of all time.

Give me a Euro where what I'm doing has almost no connection to the theme (Terra Mystica) and I'll be bored out of my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been gaming for nearly thirty years, and my personal tastes and preferences haven't changed much from when I first started. I still tend to love the miniatures tabletop and other sorts of games that would eventually get the nickname Ameritrash. (Most of them anyways; I still can't stand Cosmic Encounter - blech!) I still drool at the thought of grand, epic wargames I'll never have the opportunity to play. And, with few exceptions, I have little interest in and outright can't stand most Euros and abstracts.

Honestly, I think the AT genre alone has had enough variety over the years to keep me on my toes for another three decades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa."
badge
"Say my name"
mbmbmbmbmb
I like playing different genres too. I love AT games, and I thoroughly enjoy mild thematic euros too. I also like miniatures games, I'm starting to research war games and recently got s couple VPG SoS games too.

I like both cards and dice. LCGs. Played magic 22 years ago. Lucky for me I didn't have much cash back then

And most of all, I like reading and reading and watching videos about different games. So much stuff it blows my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to see your perspective changing with regards game either, length, conflict, etc Carl. I agree, variety is an excellent thing.

Personal policy is okay anything once, there have been exceptions to every 'rule'. Mostly I enjoy wargames nowadays, but euros and trash are all good. Euros do need a level of meaningful interaction to captivate though, so really that is my only standing 'rule' and even it had the odd exception.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
But I like a lot of different kinds of games, and I'm really happy about that. I can sit down and enjoy a game of The Gallerist, or have the same amount of fun with Kemet or Cosmic Encounter. I guess I'm just really happy for the variety in different kinds of games there are.

Preach it! (to the choir)

I can't help thinking how this expression of personal joy just happens to overlap with the bgg mainstream mantra or "moar games = better" and the happiness found in quantity.

Quote:
I've noticed in my short 3-4 years of gaming, that some people have very particular tastes when it comes to boardgaming. Some people only like very specific types of games.

To shed a light on the different perceptive - the "niche" games I love allow me to have fun with a wide variety of people. I've "sacrificed" the richness of games for the richness of people I can play them with. And I pick the kind of games that allow the richness of people to shine through.

Just saying. To each their own, eh?

plezercruz wrote:

Absolutely.
Especially if the type of games liked is one of cheap "filler" games.
Though it's probably hard to beat traditional card games aficionados.

Not being varied in one's tastes is also good. Focus only on the best. No running after the latest hype. No jumping on and off bandwagons.
(But yeah, it's easier once you've been there, played that and now you don't have to anymore. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think of myself as an omni-gamer. I love chucking dice, I love strategic combat, I love cube pushing euros and I enjoy a good short filler. There are times that I am more into a certain type or will dig deep into a certain game but really for me the core of gaming is the people you play with. I prefer a deeper game but as I have said before I would rather play Lost Cities with my mom or Epic with my best friend than stare at the Duel of Ages 2 box that I brought while they scurry and hide. Bang the Dice Game, I'm in. Agricola, oh yeah. Thunderstone Advance, yes please.

I seem to always find a neat mechanic or something I haven't played with before. Then I get to see how other people play and their thought processes and how they see it. I love to see other people catch on, whether it is a eureka moment where it all clicks at once or a slow escalation of understanding. That is fascinating to me. So I straddle cult of the new with wanting to play the classics. I will forever drag people kicking and screaming into the world of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.