Subject: Adjacent confusion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
There were times when the app instructed the monster attack movements in ways I didn't fully understand.

For example, one time it said to move the monster to be adjacent to the closest investigator within range. But the only investigator that was within range was already on its space. Does that mean the monster purposely has to leave the space containing the investigator to the space next to it in order to be 'adjacent' to the investigator's space? And what about for monsters that are clearly within range of investigators, but it says "adjacent" instead of just to nearest? Does it stop on the space adjacent to the investigator, even though it could have gone within the investigator's space based on range?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
You just follow the instructions exactly as they are written. So if it says you move to an adjacent space, you move to an adjacent space, no closer, no further.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Neff
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of adjacent, does a monster attacking an adjacent space attack through doors? I know doors block range, but we had one monster that wanted to attack through a barricaded door and its attack said adjacent, not range, so we were arguing a bit over theme and rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don P
Sweden
flag msg tools
But does the word adjacent explicity mean that the monster needs to be in a space next to the space of the closest investigator? Cant a monster be adjacent if it is in the same space as the investigator?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don_pers wrote:
But does the word adjacent explicity mean that the monster needs to be in a space next to the space of the closest investigator? Cant a monster be adjacent if it is in the same space as the investigator?

No. Adjacent means "next to". A space is not adjacent to itself.

For the effect you describe, it would instead say "within 1 space" (which does include the space itself).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doma0997 wrote:
Speaking of adjacent, does a monster attacking an adjacent space attack through doors? I know doors block range, but we had one monster that wanted to attack through a barricaded door and its attack said adjacent, not range, so we were arguing a bit over theme and rules.

Yes, adjacency can go through doors and ignores barricades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don P
Sweden
flag msg tools
Yeah but if I dont remember wrong the monster movement instruction in the app didnt include the word "space" it only said to move a monster to be adjacent to the closest investigator. Thats why I wonder if adjacent always refers to spaces

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don_pers wrote:
Yeah but if I dont remember wrong the monster movement instruction in the app didnt include the word "space" it only said to move a monster to be adjacent to the closest investigator. Thats why I wonder if adjacent always refers to spaces

Probably you're either remembering it wrong or there's a typo in the app. If you see it again, take a screenshot and send it to FFG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Sorry about the crappy pic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to hijack the thread, but quick question: the fire extinguisher gets rid of fire in adjacent spaces. According to the manual, spaces on the other side of walls are still considered adjacent (though they are not within in range, and fire can't spread through walls).

Would the fire extinguisher work in spaces separated by room barriers/doors? So for instance, if I was in a storefront, and used the extinguisher, would it also put out fire tokens in the adjacent street area? It seems to read that way, but seems a little weird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mustardayonnaiz wrote:

So yeah, it's referring to spaces. Investigators in its space still wouldn't count as adjacent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ronda
United States
flag msg tools
Doma0997 wrote:

For the monster to be in range of the investigator, he can't be behind a wall or door. In OP's case, the monster will not move if there are no investigators in range (incl. behind a door).

The adjacency thing is weird if you're in the same space, but I guess we can assume the monster can fly or has phasing? In which case, creating distance and attacking with greater range isn't anti-thematic at all imo.

And if something like this happened in a one-space room, I would personally houserule it for the most thematic result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:
Not to hijack the thread, but quick question: the fire extinguisher gets rid of fire in adjacent spaces. According to the manual, spaces on the other side of walls are still considered adjacent (though they are not within in range, and fire can't spread through walls).

Would the fire extinguisher work in spaces separated by room barriers/doors? So for instance, if I was in a storefront, and used the extinguisher, would it also put out fire tokens in the adjacent street area? It seems to read that way, but seems a little weird.

Look in the RRG under "Walls".

Yeah, that little caveat should also have been included under "Adjacent".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
mustardayonnaiz wrote:

So yeah, it's referring to spaces. Investigators in its space still wouldn't count as adjacent.

Something still doesn't make sense here, then.

The app's instructions are:

Quote:
The Cultist moves up to 2 spaces to be adjacent to as many investigators as possible. Then it attacks the adjacent investigator who has suffered the most Horror.

If there were two Investigators and they were separated by a single space, then if you treat "adjacent" as meaning "an adjacent space", the Cultist would move to the space between the Investigators.

The instructions then say that it "attacks the adjacent investigator who has suffered the most horror".

The dialog has two choices you can make after the Cultist has moved:

* The monster attacks
* No investigators in the space

If the Cultist has moved to the space between the investigators, you'd have to select "No investigators in the space" and it would not attack.

I'm not sure that's the intended behaviour... However, if it is, then there's an easy way to deal with Cultists - make sure the Investigators end their turn separated by a single space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's the wording of the button that's making things confusing. Maybe send it to FFG anyway and point it out...?

I think the intention is that you tap the second button if the monster can't reach a space that has at least one investigator adjacent. But yes - it's definitely not clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When it says "No investigator in the space" it is referring to the adjacent space that the monster is trying to attack. Meaning for instance if the monster moved but couldn't get to a space adjacent to any investigator, then it can't attack (that is why you would select that option).

It is a little confusing since it says "In the space", but it is referring to the space the monster is trying to attack, not the space the monster is in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inmat4251 wrote:
When it says "No investigator in the space" it is referring to the adjacent space that the monster is trying to attack. Meaning for instance if the monster moved but couldn't get to a space adjacent to any investigator, then it can't attack (that is why you would select that option).

It is a little confusing since it says "In the space", but it is referring to the space the monster is trying to attack, not the space the monster is in.

That would be my reading of it as well. But the wording could definitely be clearer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inmat4251 wrote:

So I guess the Cultist is making a ranged attack? Is that in fact the kind of attack is described after you click the "The Monster attacks" button?

This would make a lot of sense. The Cultist is positioning himself to be in range of the maximum number of targets for a ranged attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HisDivineShadow wrote:
Inmat4251 wrote:

So I guess the Cultist is making a ranged attack? Is that in fact the kind of attack is described after you click the "The Monster attacks" button?

This would make a lot of sense. The Cultist is positioning himself to be in range of the maximum number of targets for a ranged attack.

Essentially

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The cultists hood slips back, revealing the face of an old friend. With a gesture, your friend invites you to follow(will 2). If you pass, you shake off the hallucination. If you fail, you cannot help but obey; move 1 space toward the cultist, then become dazed and restrained.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HisDivineShadow wrote:
Inmat4251 wrote:

By the way, you get 5GG just for your username (I just noticed it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Another question...

Ghosts can move through walls. But when adjacent from an investigator separated by a wall, can it also attack through the wall? Or is its ability exclusive just to moving?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StarryAqua wrote:
Another question...

Ghosts can move through walls. But when adjacent from an investigator separated by a wall, can it also attack through the wall? Or is its ability exclusive just to moving?

No, you can attack someone in your space or in range but you do not have range through walls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.