Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
Does your mother know your doing that?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I’m currently getting reacquainted with OCS after a long hiatus and have been rereading the rules and perusing the various Forums. One stuck out in particular, which was MalcomC’s post here:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1451820/negating-zocs

I’m pretty sure I, like MalcolmC and the other responders stated, played the way he mentioned, with the unit staying in its hex, and for the reason MalcolmC mentioned, to keep the Trace Supply-line open. Plus, who intentionally leaves an enemy unit behind them? I did turn to the rules to verify this however, and found something interesting.

The original ruleset from Guderian's Blitzkrieg only specifies “adjacent to enemy units” as being in a ZOC. No mention of having to be attack capable or in Combat Mode.

The 2.0(i) ruleset is the first to mention “Attack Capable” as the qualifying ingredient to be in a ZOC, but being in Combat Mode is not a requirement.

In the 3.0 ruleset, nothing changed in regards to ZOC, just the wording was cleaned up a bit.

The 4.0 Ruleset shows the first major change in that not only does the unit have to be Attack Capable, it also has to be in Combat Mode as well in order to establish a ZOC. This was implemented to help Combat (no pun intended) the technique of sending a deep raider into an opponent’s rear area to cut off supply. The Raider would have to wait until the next turn before flipping over to Combat Mode before it would have a ZOC.

In 4.1, only Ports are addressed as they pertain to being in a ZOC.

The current ruleset, 4.2, has some of the wording a little more refined, but is identical in regards to ZOC.

I will admit, after reading through the first couple of rulesets, I was prepared to argue the point that if a unit started the turn adjacent to an enemy unit, that it could be used to allow truck MP units to move through and past it and then it could still move out of that hex after all of the others. My key argument was based on this sentence, which is in every rulebook version in one form or another: “units starting the phase adjacent to enemy units can exit that hex and move until they enter another hex adjacent to the same or different enemy unit”. My thought process was that since the Phasing player decides in which order to move his unit’s, if he moves that one last, then the rules are being followed.

It wasn’t until the 4.+ Rules that it became clear that if said unit is being used as a Negating unit, then it has to stay in place, otherwise its free to move out of the ZOC.

Fun stuff re-evaluating, re-learning and re-solidifying ones knowledge of this great game system.

Really looking forward to jumping back into the OCS pool. Its been too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.