Subject: Exhorbitant Shipping Prices rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Norse
United States
Felton
California
flag msg tools
I recently purchased Ascension X: War of Shadows and then went on line to check recent promos. I found some promising ones, filled out an order, and then found that apparently any order costs $20 for shipping.

Have others found this to be true, or am I simply dealing with a cursed computer or some website error?

I attempted to find a phone number for Ascension central to inquire, but found none. Has anyone got a contact number?

$20 to send one promo sounds really ridiculous. Is this the experience of others?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you didn't exactly say where you found these promos. Its a common practice on Ebay to put a low sell price on a hot item but jack up the shipping prices. A lot of people will actually buy items without checking the shipping cost, so they get tricked into thinking they are getting a good deal when, in the end, they actually end up overpaying. I'm not aware of any "legitimate" retailers that do this, but I've never dealt in trading cards and the like.

All that said, I think the last time I shipped a promo card to somebody, I spent $2 on a bubble envelope, $3 on shipping, and I put the card in a CD case to prevent folding, so that effectively cost me 50 cents. So even shipping one card isn't cheap, and that is using standard mail without tracking. My experience has been that shipping small items through UPS/Fedex is often over $10 and they aren't a good deal unless you are shipping larger packages. (Maybe they have better options now; its been a few years since I've used them.) So the cost might depend on who the retailer is using for shipping, if they pay for tracking, overnight, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rnorse wrote:
I recently purchased Ascension X: War of Shadows and then went on line to check recent promos. I found some promising ones, filled out an order, and then found that apparently any order costs $20 for shipping.

Have others found this to be true, or am I simply dealing with a cursed computer or some website error?

I attempted to find a phone number for Ascension central to inquire, but found none. Has anyone got a contact number?

$20 to send one promo sounds really ridiculous. Is this the experience of others?

Yes, $20 is ridiculous. Were you attempting to send the promo cards overseas? Send me a BGG mail with the specifics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rnorse wrote:

So, I double-checked on the settings on the site. $20 is associated with USPS's overnight service. As such, $20 isn't crazy. Unfortunately, our "handling process" doesn't currently move that fast. I removed it as an option and added the more reasonable "First Class Mail" option, which brings the S&H charge for a single promo to $2.45.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.