Subject: I think I am a Fanboy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Skip Thompson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just finished my second play through of the standard Brains! level III. I have to say, I am quite pleased with the 3rd edition. Granted, I have played the previous 2 editions a year or more ago, but still; this one just flows smoother in my opinion.

It seems easier to find a detail if I have a question. The research and heal functions appear well thought out and feel more satisfying. The setup and dossier booklets were a great idea. I was expecting better physical components and the higher price was a bit daunting, but I think it was worth the price and I am quite pleased with the components. I love the mounted map.

The only small negative (in my opinion), is that while, the research functions are more interesting then before, the result appears a bit underwhelming. The super gun doesn't seem worth all the action points required to obtain it (I have not found the cure).

On my second play through I ignored the research tree all together. The only other 'house rule' I made, was to make sure the special event cards are not grouped together in the stack (I got 3 in a row during the first play through, ending the game on the spot).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
skipper1947 wrote:
Just finished my second play through of the standard Brains! level III. I have to say, I am quite pleased with the 3rd edition. Granted, I have played the previous 2 editions a year or more ago, but still; this one just flows smoother in my opinion.

It seems easier to find a detail if I have a question. The research and heal functions appear well thought out and feel more satisfying. The setup and dossier booklets were a great idea. I was expecting better physical components and the higher price was a bit daunting, but I think it was worth the price and I am quite pleased with the components. I love the mounted map.

The only small negative (in my opinion), is that while, the research functions are more interesting then before, the result appears a bit underwhelming. The super gun doesn't seem worth all the action points required to obtain it (I have not found the cure).

On my second play through I ignored the research tree all together. The only other 'house rule' I made, was to make sure the special event cards are not grouped together in the stack (I got 3 in a row during the first play through, ending the game on the spot).

Interesting, I do everything I can to get two super weapon components as quickly as possible. The combination of the push back component and the 1> for gunfire is extremely powerful, since it reduce the amount of hand to hand combat to a fraction of what it'll otherwise and it makes it so much easier to hold crucial positions.

While we disagree on the super weapon, then we seem to completely agree that it's a great game .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Koenig
Germany
Fuerth
Bayern
flag msg tools
Tom is crazy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to make sure, did you only add 2 random, non-exlamation-mark cards in the late research deck, I hope. Because I missed that rule 1st time ..
And I prefer the extra hit component uunlike Morten..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Thompson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the replies.

Oliver, yes I did add the 2 random cards.

Morten, the next time I get Professor Agee, I will try for the super weapon again. I may just not have thought it through enough. I initially liked the Gas Grenade until I got to the "It also adds a Chaos marker.." part (plus having to either use all components or none). That is a significant penalty when you are limited to 10 Chaos.

Skip
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
skipper1947 wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

Oliver, yes I did add the 2 random cards.

Morten, the next time I get Professor Agee, I will try for the super weapon again. I may just not have thought it through enough.

When I play to win, I always take "Xeno" as my hero choice, he's very effiecient in getting the research done and afterwards he's also very useful, which Agee isn't.

Quote:
I initially liked the Gas Grenade until I got to the "It also adds a Chaos marker.." part (plus having to either use all components or none). That is a significant penalty when you are limited to 10 Chaos.

Hehe, yeah that's a very significant penalty .

I don't understand the remark about having to use either all or none of the super weapons components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
On the topic of hero choice, researching etc., then I made a poll about it a while back: Dawn of the Zeds 3rd Edition poll extravaganza

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Koenig
Germany
Fuerth
Bayern
flag msg tools
Tom is crazy!
mbmbmbmbmb
But don't forget, Xeno is not available in Brains Level III, he is a Level IV and V character!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mechaniac wrote:
But don't forget, Xeno is not available in Brains Level III, he is a Level IV and V character!

Ah, I didn't know that - I've only played level 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Thompson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:

I don't understand the remark about having to use either all or none of the super weapons components.

I was referring to page 26, first column 5th paragraph.
"Note: You are not required to use the Super Weapon when engaging in any particular combat. However, if you use it, all of its relevant components are active." etc.
So, if I understand it correctly, I am required to include the Gas Grenade (if I have it) along with any other relevant component I have picked up. I can't select one component, and ignore the others. So, if I fired into an adjacent space, with the Hypo "Z" component, and I also had the Gas Grenade, I would have to include that. Perhaps I am misunderstanding this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skipper1947 wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:

I was referring to page 26, first column 5th paragraph.
"Note: You are not required to use the Super Weapon when engaging in any particular combat. However, if you use it, all of its relevant components are active." etc.
So, if I understand it correctly, I am required to include the Gas Grenade (if I have it) along with any other relevant component I have picked up. I can't select one component, and ignore the others. So, if I fired into an adjacent space, with the Hypo "Z" component, and I also had the Gas Grenade, I would have to include that. Perhaps I am misunderstanding this?

The A to Zeds says all modules are active, but for the Gas Grenade you have to spend an Action as well. So if you don't spend an Action it will be active but not doing anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Thompson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bdegroot wrote:

The A to Zeds says all modules are active, but for the Gas Grenade you have to spend an Action as well. So if you don't spend an Action it will be active but not doing anything.

Noted. Thanks for the tip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.