Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK... we liked the game... a lot. But we have some questions about it.

First, how is the apparent conflict between these 2 rules resolved:

Rules - page 11: You cannot use a ranged attack on a zombie on the same or adjacent space to your token.

Combat results charts (Ranged combat)- page 13: Add 2 for adjacent targets, or 1 for a target within 2 spaces.

Second, are items (such as broken weapons or consumed food, etc.) which are "discarded"... are they discarded out of the game completely or are they discarded to the game pool and available to be used over again if found?

Third, I am still fuzzy on zombie movement. It may be that some of this is left to the players to decide. I usually prefer something a little tighter with reference to game mechanics. For example:

Page 5
(Zombies)... will relentlessly advance (slowly) toward the nearest source of meat. Is that "nearest as the crow flies", or nearest as in the fewest number of spaces, even if it means they will be moving further from the victim in order to get around obstacles.

Page 7
Zombies will move toward barricades if there is no easier way to get to the live flesh, and stay there until a new, easier human comes along or the barricade breaks. If zombies are piled around a barricade, and on the other side of the house a barricade comes down, will the zombies stay at the barricade or try to move all the way around the house to get to the broken barricade, even though it pretty far away?

Fourth, Doors keep zombies out just like a barricade, except that players can pass through freely. Page 7. If a player is on one side of the door, and a zombie (or zombies) on the other side, they cannot got through but the player can. Can the player attack (I mean "close attack") through the doorway? This is suggested by the word "freely" but I am not sure it is right.

Fifth (and final, for now), Envision a one space window. Potentially, there are 12 zombies "adjacent" to it on the outside: 4 directly outside, 4 more on the diagonal space to the left, and 4 more on the diagonal space to the right. Since diagonal movement is allowed, is it correct that any of the 12 zombies could potentially move from the outside to the inside, and in fact, some of them could move to the inside diagonals as well putting zombies on 3 interior spaces? (I hope it is clear what I am asking here).

Thanks for letting me pick your brains here... ha! get it? "pick your brains"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Some questions - answers & perspectives will be apprecia
jwquinn wrote:
OK... we liked the game... a lot. But we have some questions about it.

First, how is the apparent conflict between these 2 rules resolved:

Rules - page 11: You cannot use a ranged attack on a zombie on the same or adjacent space to your token.

Combat results charts (Ranged combat)- page 13: Add 2 for adjacent targets, or 1 for a target within 2 spaces.

Sounds like you have the old v1 rulebook as opposed to the updated v3.

The Combat chart is correct. The 1st paragraph has long since been altered.

Quote:
Second, are items (such as broken weapons or consumed food, etc.) which are "discarded"... are they discarded out of the game completely or are they discarded to the game pool and available to be used over again if found?

Discard them out of the game.

Quote:
Third, I am still fuzzy on zombie movement. It may be that some of this is left to the players to decide. I usually prefer something a little tighter with reference to game mechanics. For example:

Page 5
(Zombies)... will relentlessly advance (slowly) toward the nearest source of meat. Is that "nearest as the crow flies", or nearest as in the fewest number of spaces, even if it means they will be moving further from the victim in order to get around obstacles.

With 100+ zombies usually in play we didn't miss the odd one at the back scratching his nose (or picking it up).

They generally take the shortest route to get to a survivor if it means them moving around a wall they will follow it to the door.

Quote:
Page 7
Zombies will move toward barricades if there is no easier way to get to the live flesh, and stay there until a new, easier human comes along or the barricade breaks. If zombies are piled around a barricade, and on the other side of the house a barricade comes down, will the zombies stay at the barricade or try to move all the way around the house to get to the broken barricade, even though it pretty far away?

They'll begin to slowly move away to the open one. The problem (for you) being new zombies close to the opening will more than likely now be entering the board at the same time.

Quote:
Fourth, Doors keep zombies out just like a barricade, except that players can pass through freely. Page 7. If a player is on one side of the door, and a zombie (or zombies) on the other side, they cannot got through but the player can. Can the player attack (I mean "close attack") through the doorway? This is suggested by the word "freely" but I am not sure it is right.

Open the door, slap the zombie, then slam it in his ugly face. You may get your fingers bitten, but it's fun to do & worth the risk... right?

Quote:
Fifth (and final, for now), Envision a one space window. Potentially, there are 12 zombies "adjacent" to it on the outside: 4 directly outside, 4 more on the diagonal space to the left, and 4 more on the diagonal space to the right. Since diagonal movement is allowed, is it correct that any of the 12 zombies could potentially move from the outside to the inside, and in fact, some of them could move to the inside diagonals as well putting zombies on 3 interior spaces? (I hope it is clear what I am asking here).

You now 'Rulebook v3' cannot move diagonally through windows or doors. But, you can attack and be attacked on a digonal. So if you stood directly in front all 12 zombies on the other side would be eligble for a free bite at your guts 'en masse'.

If they decided to enter via the window only the 4 Zeds directly adjacent would push their way in. The others on a diagonal would need to move adjacent and then through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great minds smell spicy think alike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow!!

Those answers came fast!

It took me longer to write them than it did for you guys to answer them.

I doubt that the updated rulebook is any longer available now that the game has gone to a publisher... but if it is, does someone have the URL for it?

Thanks for the amswers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These answers came fast because Dead of Night fans/players are of a different breed....

And the ones that can still think straight really love the game and take pride in its wonderful rules and gameplay and creativity. Go Simon!

zombie

zombie

surprisesobluezombie

surprisegulpzombie

surprisezombiezombie

cryzombiezombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zombie UUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!SI_MUUUUUUUUUUUUHHNNNNNNNN!!BRAIN!GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BZHAMZRZHRnaMNMNRA AR ZRARnGB HGhHA hNMman RZBGNMMNMN HGHRHR haMZGB HGHR bARHGHA HGhMZHRNMgh. MRA BZMZHAZRHAMZHAGB BZARHAZZHA HRZR hNMman ZRMNHARZh ARRZ HGhHA NMBZBZHAMZ aMZm, HRMZ ZRaARMNARng HGhaHG AR aHGHGHAmBZHG HGhHA GANMgNMMNaMZ MNNMngHA mmmm

If you know what I'm talking about

If not, I suggest a week or two on Urban Dead combined with a Firefox experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Much better than the basic "Harm harmanz", "RAM GANG, RAM AN GRAB MANBAGZ", "Bra!nzzzzz", "ah harm harmanz an ah nah brag", "ah brang mah banana bag" etc etc etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.