5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: My first foray into miniature painting. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Benton
msg tools
mb
I started painting my Zombicide miniatures in May. It's been a slow process and a busy summer, so I haven't done as much as I've wanted.

Looking for all kinds of feedback and I have some specific questions further down. I haven't ever painted anything before these guys and Youtube was a big help.(Also I didn't see a "miniature painting" forum section so I'm sticking this in general.)

I've used the pre-packaged Army Painter zombicide paint kit for nearly everything pictured. I started by priming all the zombies and zombivors (with the exception of the Toxic Zombies)with Army Painter's Necrotic Flesh spray primer.

I ended up using the entire can of spray primer to do all three "trays" of zombies. I don't think I will be priming like this again. I think I wasted a lot of primer by basically dusting the whole area instead of having one line of zombies to prime and then doing another. I also was not holding the can anywhere near close enough for the first few rows. I think I also came in from the top too much? Several pieces are missing primer in their armpits, under their chins, etc.

One oddity I noticed is that a lot of them had a "spotted" texture on them after they dried? I don't know if I did something wrong with the primer or if it was dust settling onto them, (and they were clean and smooth prior to priming)

I then started to paint a Fatty since he was one of the larger minis. I used the brush that came with the Army Painter set and had picked up a few small cheap ones from Michael's.

Next was using the Zombie Shader. He was still a little wet when this pic was taken.

I then added blood. I went way overboard with blood on this guy, and even though on many of my more recent ones I go with "less is more" I still immediately regret putting the blood on them and I don't know why. They are zombies, but I put so much work into them and then make them all messy maybe?

I then finished up the Fatties and the Abomination and hit them all with a matte finish.

I moved on to some of the other zombies and painted one zombivor so far. I have a TON left to paint, but I am looking forward to it. We really don't even play zombicide anymore, but I am still in love with painting the miniatures and now look at games (Imperial Assault) with equal parts want to play/want to paint.

I will be painting all of the bases in the future. I will probably do a different color for each zombie type so they can be easily identified for spawning.

One of the biggest problems I have is my brushes. I've bought several super fine point brushes. They all look like Albert Einstein now. My girlfriend who is artsy suggested I get a brush cleaner and try to not bend the brush "against the grain" so to speak. I used a General Pencil company brush cleaner & preserver, but all my brushes still "poof" out and lose their point. It's been manageable for the zombies because a mistake can be covered by blood, but for the survivors, Imperial Assault or any other minis I want to be able to put a precise line down and not have a poofy brush preventing that. How do I keep the points on my brushes?

TIA for any feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin V
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fan of Cartoonist Phil Foglio
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, great progress! Overall, I'd say your project is coming along nicely. I think it can be intimidating having so many minis lined up to paint. I think once you're done, your group will be excited to revisit Zombicide again with all those awesome minis.

I am by no means an expert painter but here are a couple small tips I can offer:

About the "dusting": I think you were holding the spray can too far away and the paint dried before it hit the mini. I've had that happen before, too. Get in a bit closer in the future and you'll be fine. If it's bothering you for any of your current minis, you'll need to strip the paint off and start again. I don't know of any other way around that issue. You mentioned that in the future you'll do one row at a time...that will help.

For the brushes: Try to avoid getting paint all the way up the bristles. The paint gets up in there, dries, and ruins the tips. Even if you think you've washed it all out, some stays and causes that problem. A good cleaning will help, but even more so just avoid overloading your brushes.

Again, super progress! I know how busy it can get. Just make a little progress here and there and before long, the project will be done. PLEASE share a few pictures of it when you're done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a Miniature Painter's guild that has great stuff for all levels - I keep looking in there, hoping that one day I'll get back into painting minis, but I strongly recommend you take a peek at what they have to offer. They've got lots of advice, and pics, and generally good stuff!

edit: Now, with 100% more links! blush http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/909
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good work. In my profile, I have tutorials for painting zombicide miniatures with the AP zombicide paint set and Quickshade Ink set (washes).

I think you're ready for a high-quality hobby brush. Winsor and Newton Series 7 and Raphael 8404 are commonly recommended brushes. Size is personal preference, and the tip of the brush is more important than the size. Myself, I prefer size 0 and 00, while more experienced painters are fine with size 1 and 2.

Also, use a wet palette and try washes if you haven't done so already.

Here's a short tutorial about using gesso and washes for bases: https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3040148/sam-and-max

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Del Arroz
United States
Danville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looks way better than my first foray! nice job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.