Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kim Choy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the mechanics of adding a crystal token to a region at the beginning of each battle, but what (if any) thematic reason is there for doing so?

Just curious!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
umchoyka wrote:
I understand the mechanics of adding a crystal token to a region at the beginning of each battle, but what (if any) thematic reason is there for doing so?

Just curious!

The presence of the crystals on the planet is their main thematic tie. The best comparison in modern memory is the Unobtanium from Avatar. Yes, it's a stupid name, but otherwise, it's a good plot device.

As for the crystals being added, the thematic abstraction is that you're fighting over regions for a reason -- the crystals. You wouldn't fight over one without crystals, right? So, the reason armies are doubling down is that they are discovering more and more crystals in the region.

Hope that makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Choy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
Hope that makes sense.

Not really laugh

But, that's okay. I like the idea that player agency and the board state can (partly) drive which areas are hotly contested, rather than the initial setup or some random card draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Choy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
The best comparison in modern memory is the Unobtanium from Avatar.

I think the main theme of the game (in terms of the crystals) makes sense, by the way. There are many sci-fi themed media that use a similar plot device to establish their story: Avatar, Dune, M.U.L.E., etc.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if some industrious Geek creates a Dune reskin for this game - it seems like there are many parallels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chevee Dodd
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
umchoyka wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:
Hope that makes sense.

Not really laugh

But, that's okay. I like the idea that player agency and the board state can (partly) drive which areas are hotly contested, rather than the initial setup or some random card draw.

These crystals are not just neatly arranged carbon chains. They are imbued with, and attracted to energy. A fight... a struggle between two forces is a huge coming-together of energy and like magnets, the crystals are drawn upwards in response to this energy. These crystals exist on, or slightly below the surface of this planet... it is quite easy for them to be uncovered during battle as they are drawn to it.

The Trogs live in tunnels and you will find their chambers are densely clustered underneath the protection of large Crystal deposits. These deposits act as a sort of atmosphere for the Trogs, protecting them from harsh radiation and gamma rays.

[I just made that up]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps to reframe this thought. The longer people are fighting over a region , the more crystal deposits are being discovered.

Actually, I like Chevee's explanation better, sorry Grant (although I have no idea which of you did the lore). His explanation details why a faction that doesn't get into battles won't uncover more crystals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Brown
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
No, I'M Spartacus
badge
\m/
mbmbmbmbmb
The crystals feed on the blood of the fallen and grow. Easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The crystals are abstracted 'resources', so once you've had a fight, you now have all the bodies and stuff left behind to loot as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Choy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndySzy wrote:
The crystals are abstracted 'resources'

They're specifically not that. They are a rare material only found on this planet and is the sole reason for the conflict in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So... to sum this up, there is no thematic reason thought of by the game's creators. I know that many people ignore fluff when playing a game... but not coming up with one when creating it is a pity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
So... to sum this up, there is no thematic reason thought of by the game's creators. I know that many people ignore fluff when playing a game... but not coming up with one when creating it is a pity.

I responded immediately with a response and folks said no. I...can't do much if you don't believe me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
borsook wrote:

I responded immediately with a response and folks said no. I...can't do much if you don't believe me.

Oh, I'm sorry I lost your response in the line of subsequent speculation from everybody else. If that's the official reason than thanks! It really helps to know that, sorry again for the misinterpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Grant! Chevee's idea that combat draws them is also cool. I was thinking, actually, that the destruction of the ground in the fighting actually just physically reveals more of them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
borsook wrote:

All I can say when I read that is: fair enough...

Question asked on forum, designer provides perfectly sound answer, people say no.... it's a funny world

By the way it's what came to my mind immediately when I read the rule, just saying
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
brunogaia wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:
borsook wrote:

All I can say when I read that is: fair enough...

Question asked on forum, designer provides perfectly sound answer, people say no.... it's a funny world

By the way it's what came to my mind immediately when I read the rule, just saying

Maybe it's partly because sometimes it is hard to remember who was on the designer team and who wasn't, quite a few posters on bgg have the "designer" badge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Inguanzo
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
umchoyka wrote:

Just curious!

The presence of the crystals on the planet is their main thematic tie. The best comparison in modern memory is the Unobtanium from Avatar. Yes, it's a stupid name, but otherwise, it's a good plot device.

As for the crystals being added, the thematic abstraction is that you're fighting over regions for a reason -- the crystals. You wouldn't fight over one without crystals, right? So, the reason armies are doubling down is that they are discovering more and more crystals in the region.

Hope that makes sense.

I get it. If I attack my opponent because I'm a back-stabbing scoundrel I can say, "Nothing personal, I'm just after the crystals."

"What crystals?"

"Um..." (Drop crystal on board.) "That one."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Inguanzo
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
umchoyka wrote:

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if some industrious Geek creates a Dune reskin for this game - it seems like there are many parallels.

So the crystals are made by creatures that live underground? Hmmm...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Inguanzo
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FritzBraun wrote:
The crystals feed on the blood of the fallen and grow. Easy.

In my head canon the crystals feed on our suffering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oak Wolf
msg tools
It seemed pretty ok by me that we do not know where the whole crystal deposits were on the map the start of a game. Regions seem to represent large and likely mostly wild parcels of land, where crystal may just be undetected for a long time. I don't think that the battle "create" any more crystals that are in a region, but that they allow for the discovery of previously unknown ones, since it forces troops to move along much more territory.

As stated by Grant, battles occur for a reason, and one of the few reasons there is to control or seize a region is: crystals have been detected.

+++Incoming transmission+++

Sgt Rafter, 2nd engineer division

To HQ1.We've seen increasing presence of the machines in the last 2 hours, they're onto something around sector 34b. Heavy armored units and drones have been spotted. Requesting authorisation to send a patrol to intercept the hostiles and investigate their activities. Artillery support request have been filed and is on stand by, waiting for more information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.