Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Discarding Projects rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb

It looks like I can't discard down to 1 research project if I have 3 research nodes.

Whenever I draw projects I have to place them in the project area if I have the research nodes to support them.

I think this is a big deal, especially if players have poorly protected research nodes because when an opponent captures a research nodes you must turn over a research project to him.

If you can't discard down to an empty project area, that could invite attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there are a few things to keep in mind;
first, its you who choose which project you give them so the more research projects, the better your chance to give them a less useful one.

second, you should use the research collected from phenomenons to speed up your high value projects, if theres a few within your reach you could possibly research a tech completely in a single turn.

you shouldnt draw new projects if you're unlikely to research them by game's end or you focus on weapons instead.

even if your opponent takes a tech, he still needs room for it himself, raiding(destroying) his research centers can force him to discard projects/returning yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
Arise from the dead, post from long ago...

I was going over the rulebook and thinking about how you can search your Advancement Deck for choice cards when you are Launching Projects.

Have people been playing with say, 4 projects on the go? Has raiding other people's projects been a thing in games? How often do people search their deck for a choice Advancement card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
its very situational, if you dont have many choices to spend your commands you might use them to search for tech, but most often there are too many things to do that searching tech isnt your first choice.

taking over projects in battle is also situational but certainly good to deny them the advantages or assemble nice tech combos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
most often there are too many things to do that searching tech isnt your first choice.

I was looking at the tech cards for the 3 main races, and in my first few plays I'm going to dig for specific techs. Many techs are "throw aways" like the +2 warp tech but others are amazing game changers imho. Now granted, would it be nice to have +2 warp? Sure, but it's not a game changer and so I can afford to loose it if raided.

The techs I'm thinking of are the +1 Command, +1 Hegemony resistance +1 warp which everyone gets and could use right away. If I'm fishing for a tech and see that one, I'm grabbing it and teching.

For the Federation I'd be looking to grab Long Range Sensor Arrays (4) where you choose between 2 systems. That tech is simply amazing early imho. You can grab better planets, or even dangerous phenomenons and use them as buffers. Laying out the board with some element of control is huge. Now, is it worth teching and spending commands to get? I will find out, but I'm definitely hammering my deck to pull that card early.

For the Romulans Imperial Science Initiative (4) where new projects start with +1 research is just amazing. It effectively lessons your research by 1 turn/1 resource. The earlier you get it, the more it scales in your favour. Also, the Adv. Romulan Cloak is a must, it's great. On offence you can go anywhere, on defence it saves you ships.

For the Klingons they really don't have major techs I'd fish for early but I do like the Militarized Industry (4) where you get 1 ship at every culture node.

I went through the decks and broke down early-mid-late game cards and their value. Although all techs are good, each race has some real winners which should help tremendously with their play style.

My hunch is that those cards are worth spending commands on, however only in a game will I see if that's true. Who knows, maybe blindly pumping shields/weapons is better, but my gut for strategy tells me no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the tech to choose between 2 systems isnt a good one i feel.
first, you need to get it in the first few turns for it to be relevant ie before exploration is finished, and if you dont have access to phenomenons its simply too long to get it out.

you cant afford to spend all commands to get this first before you explore as it would set you back more than what you might gain from it.

in a big galaxy it might be useful or if you're lucky to draw it with your first search

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.