$5.00
$20.00
$15.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Rita Young rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoff Core
msg tools
Reading the back story for Rita sounds like the story of a black girl. The card art seems a bit on the pale side however . Anyone else feel this way?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh dear...
Rita the athlete - should she be black?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Pudsy wrote:

Maybe you meant this thread
Overposting?
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Core
msg tools
Oh I hadn't seen that thread. Thanks! I figure it was the art director not talking with the copy writer. :-)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarken wrote:
Oh I hadn't seen that thread. Thanks! I figure it was the art director not talking with the copy writer. :-)


There are black people in the world that look like Rita is depicted (look at her nose, etc). Granted, she looks more Middle Eastern, but so does my friend's child, and my friend is deeply Ethiopian (but married to a white guy).

I'm black identified myself, but can pass as Indian, Native American, North African (i.e. Middle-Eastern) and even mixed Asian (I've been told while traveling there).

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear in certain neighborhoods/families/countries, those that are light-skinned have it even worse (if they can't or won't pass as white). Not having acceptance from either side can be rough. Interracial kids have similar problems.

That being said, there is another board referenced in the thread provide to talk about issues of religion/politics/controversial discussions simply because they can get heated and clutter the forum making threads about the game itself and its mechanics hard to find.

I think this is a very important thing to take not of though. But the motivations for her depiction could be due to any of many reasons (including bad communication, bad eyes on the part of an artist, intentional commentary or intentional representation of interracial diversity, etc etc.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob

Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does is matter? Anyone else tired of this type of thread?

Fun fact: Painting every character a pale Martian green will not change the stats, gameplay, or dice rolls one teeny bit.
9 
 Thumb up
15.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saber72 wrote:
Does is matter? Anyone else tired of this type of thread?

Fun fact: Painting every character a pale Martian green will not change the stats, gameplay, or dice rolls one teeny bit.


It may not matter to some, but it actually affects who feels welcome within the hobby and gaming groups. Maybe not a single incident, but companies need to pay attention to representation and diversity if they know what is good for them. It's a small hobby to begin with and isolating any demographic of fan is a real problem.

Honestly, this is one of the reasons why I love and support Plaidhat games so much. The diversity of the roster of characters in Dead of Winter (and Ashes) shows that they are paying attention.

In short: It doesn't matter to everyone, but that doesn't mean it doesn't matter. And I am personally not tired of these threads at all; they just don't need to clutter questions about rules references etc. Because at the end of the day, we all need to know HOW to play the game, or what's the point?

EDIT: The fact that the above poster has been tipped 5 geek gold shows just how far this most central of gaming sites still needs to go in order to accept the fact that white people are A) not even the majority at this point (if they ever were), and B) completely ignorant to the omni-present issues presented by being part of a marginalized group.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saber72 wrote:
Does is matter? Anyone else tired of this type of thread?

Fun fact: Painting every character a pale Martian green will not change the stats, gameplay, or dice rolls one teeny bit.


Yes, it does matter. History has more than a handful of incidents where minorities were "sanitized" because business people thought it would hurt sales. It would reflect poorly on FFG if this could be linked to the same mentality.

That said, and I say this as a person of color, I really don't think the depiction is inexorably removed from past depictions, or "whitewashed" (consciously or otherwise). A debate could be had over related issues, but -- like Soak Man said -- it's best to not take this thread into speculative controversial issues.

(And, lets be honest here, any minorities in a game based on Lovecraft's work is a conscious move towards diversity and inclusion).

14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saber72 wrote:
Does is matter? Anyone else tired of this type of thread?


It does matter. And if you are tired of discussions of race, imagine how tired you would be of dealing with race every day in a society full of people who refuse to acknowledge problems you would bring up, and every game you play is full of people who don't look like you, and when you find one that has a character who looks a little bit like you, it turns out oops they made her not like you after all. It's worth a discussion, and maybe when you're ready, worth you actually listening.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Anarchosyn wrote:
(And, lets be honest here, any minorities in a game based on Lovecraft's work is a conscious move towards diversity and inclusion).


I just read his short story Polaris in which Eskimos play a significant part. Admittedly, described as "squat, yellow creatures, blighted by the cold" they're hardly the heroes of the story.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Eye
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have no people of colour or people who identify themselves as people of colour in my gaming group (although I feel blue sometimes), so as conclusion to this topic I consider to shelf Rita Young for the moment, as sure as hell no one of us evil white dudes likes to play her because of the colour of her skin. Any thoughts?

Ah forget it, no need to answer, as I will spend the rest of the day checking my privileges. This can take a while.

Quote:
It does matter. And if you are tired of discussions of race, imagine how tired you would be of dealing with race every day in a society full of people who refuse to acknowledge problems you would bring up, and every game you play is full of people who don't look like you, and when you find one that has a character who looks a little bit like you, it turns out oops they made her not like you after all


Damn, I never ever can watch the Cosby Show again, cause there's no one in that series who looks like me. With whom can I just identify? It's terrible.

You say, the defining criteria of a human being, persona and how a human looks like is the colour of their skin? Isn't that a racist statement in itself? Like, how about all humans have a nose, two eyes, two legs and stuff, but HELL NO, one can only identify with some plastic chit in a boardgame if it's explicitly meant to be of black skin or homosexual or what god knows. This is ridiculous on so many levels, I can't even think of the mindset behind such statements. Do you realize you make a victim out of yourself and further boost racial segregation? So, yeah you got your black investigators in the Arkham Horror line. But because it is set in the 20s, those investigators are ALL racial stereotypes. Oh, Rita the athlethe? Yes, all black people can run really fast. It is known. Oh, Jim Culver the musician? Yes, all black people got the rythm in their blood. It is kown. Oh, Akachi Onyel the Shaman? Yes, all people from Africa are one with Mother Nature and deep in the spirit world. It is known. You're happy with THAT kind of representation just for the sake of making the game "diverse"?

It's 2016 after all (a stupid statement in itself), so no one in the free world will hinder all you special snowflakes to join together, form a funcitonal gaming company and publish the most diverse, multicultural and inclusive game of all time, where you can compensate all your first world problems and racial obsessions. God luck with selling it.

God dammit.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exilfranke wrote:
I have no people of colour or people who identify themselves as people of colour in my gaming group (although I feel blue sometimes), so as conclusion to this topic I consider to shelf Rita Young for the moment, as sure as hell no one of us evil white dudes likes to play her because of the colour of her skin. Any thoughts?

Ah forget it, no need to answer, as I will spend the rest of the day checking my privileges. This can take a while.

Quote:
It does matter. And if you are tired of discussions of race, imagine how tired you would be of dealing with race every day in a society full of people who refuse to acknowledge problems you would bring up, and every game you play is full of people who don't look like you, and when you find one that has a character who looks a little bit like you, it turns out oops they made her not like you after all


Damn, I never ever can watch the Cosby Show again, cause there's no one in that series who looks like me. With whom can I just identify? It's terrible.

You say, the defining criteria of a human being, persona and how a human looks like is the colour of their skin? Isn't that a racist statement in itself? Like, how about all humans have a nose, two eyes, two legs and stuff, but HELL NO, one can only identify with some plastic chit in a boardgame if it's explicitly meant to be of black skin or homosexual or what god knows. This is ridiculous on so many levels, I can't even think of the mindset behind such statements. Do you realize you make a victim out of yourself and further boost racial segregation? So, yeah you got your black investigators in the Arkham Horror line. But because it is set in the 20s, those investigators are ALL racial stereotypes. Oh, Rita the athlethe? Yes, all black people can run really fast. It is known. Oh, Jim Culver the musician? Yes, all black people got the rythm in their blood. It is kown. Oh, Akachi Onyel the Shaman? Yes, all people from Africa are one with Mother Nature and deep in the spirit world. It is known. You're happy with THAT kind of representation just for the sake of making the game "diverse"?

It's 2016 after all (a stupid statement in itself), so no one in the free world will hinder all you special snowflakes to join together, form a funcitonal gaming company and publish the most diverse, multicultural and inclusive game of all time, where you can compensate all your first world problems and racial obsessions. God luck with selling it.

God dammit.


I'm not going to continue this convo, but the fact that having one black character (or people wanting to talk about representation) is some kind of irritant to you and your entirely white gaming group seems inane. To deny that skin color changes the way you're perceived in life is silly. Should it matter? No. But it does, actually. And positive portrayals of diverse groups of people combat those perceptions.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Eye
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
To deny that skin color changes the way you're perceived in life is silly.


Depends on where in the world you live, does it? Sure, walking through india, people will touch my golden hair for it brings luck and health.

Quote:
I'm not going to continue this convo, but the fact that having one black character (or people wanting to talk about representation) is some kind of irritant to you and your entirely white gaming group seems inane.


Make a horror check, irony negates.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

soakman wrote:
I'm not going to continue this convo, but the fact that having one black character (or people wanting to talk about representation) is some kind of irritant to you and your entirely white gaming group seems inane. To deny that skin color changes the way you're perceived in life is silly. Should it matter? No. But it does, actually. And positive portrayals of diverse groups of people combat those perceptions.


I agree. That said, while I find ExilFranke's manner needlessly rude (please do tone down a bit, Jay), I have to admit your statement also goes for obesity, physical/mental handicaps, excessive freckles/pimples and a host of other things that are not proportionally - let alone positively - represented in boardgames/tv shows/films.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Eye
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
I will tone down a bit. Sometimes, in the heat of the moment, the dark side is just too strong in me.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheese Burgler
msg tools
Exilfranke wrote:
You say, the defining criteria of a human being, persona and how a human looks like is the colour of their skin? Isn't that a racist statement in itself?


That kinda *sounds* racist, you're right - if anyone said it, which no one did (except you). This is what we call a straw man, attack a point noone's making.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Antagonistic, insulting, or otherwise disruptive comments ARE NOT welcome here.

Please use the icon when you see disruptive or antagonistic comments or any other violations of the Community Rules. This serves two purposes:

1- using the icon will bring that post to the attention of forum moderators so they can deal with it appropriately. We prefer that you not respond to the post directly. Responding invites the offender to continue, and if you respond aggressively you may end up dragging yourself down with the offender.

2- if enough users flag a post using the icon then that post will be hidden from general view, preventing others from being exposed to it.

Thanks!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
In the Arkham spin off novel Ghouls of the Miskatonic, she is black - but is described as having light skin.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imp152 wrote:
In the Arkham spin off novel Ghouls of the Miskatonic, she is black - but is described as having light skin.

She looks a bit like that, maybe having mixed-race ancestry not unlike many African Americans. Her features look a little like Tracee Ellis Ross from Blackish or Rashida Jones from Parks & Recreation in this picture: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CodnLezWIAADW6A.jpg Maybe the artist has a hard time painting black people - that's not unheard of.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.