Subject: Best Steampunk Game for 2? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm eyeing something in the steampunk genre. I don't really have anything in that universe and I love it, so...

I've got it down to Spyrium, Steam Works, or SteamPunk Rally, but I can't seem to figure out which is best (if any) with 2. They all seem to get some people who say "Great," and others who say, "It blows."

So does anyone have an opinion? The mechanics of all three are interesting to me, so it's less about that than it's about which will give the most satisfying 2p experience.

Or is there something else that I'm not considering? Thanks for the advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Pasmeny
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own all three but haven't played Steam Works yet.

But with regards to the other 2 games I would say Steampunk Rally over Spyrium...although neither would be spectacular with 2.

Steampunk rally has a drafting mechanic, and Spyrium an area control, both of these lend themselves better to having more players.

That being said, I had more fun with Steampunk Rally and would recommend it over Spyrium. And I am sure that there is a compensation mechanic in the drafting with 2. I think a random card is removed so that you cannot make a "perfect plan" with regards to the cards that return to you.

Good luck!

meeplemeeple

Edit also consider Kings of Air and Steam!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(only have spyrium, but hopefully im still informative)
I....actually I'm gonna have rahdo take this one. I don't often share his opinion on games but this I think really sums up my conclusions also (excpet my group took a while to learn it). The right # of players I think is more about the right players, I've played a few time with all player counts and I like it even though you really got to change your strategy.
If your looking for a steampunk game it may be up to your opinion on that as I don't feel sucked into a steampunk world when I play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcom Chase
msg tools
mbmbmb
I only own Steam Works. I only played it 2-Players. It's awesome!

Personally, I enjoy the feeling of progress the game gives you. At first, you have very few possible things to do each turn, and they are pretty unimpressive. Grab a tile, build a small, single function machine, etc.

But after a few rounds, you have a lot of crazy machines to use and combine, you start trying to get the best pieces while taking them away from your opponent. You want to squeeze as many points as you can before your opponent builds a better machine, so you start using theirs. Really fun.

Really good, and the player powers work great. Balanced, interesting, and giving you options. Do you like having a lot of resources? Do you prefer an efficient character that has to think her turns through? Or maybe the weird one with weird abilities.

It's worker placement, and engine building. It can get heavy to play if you really try to think everything through. Really thinky game.

If that's your style, I really recommend it for two players. My brother and I love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had no idea Spyrium was a steampunk game. And I have owned and played the game...

So if you want to feel the theme, Spyrium in not what you need. A decent game though, with a good think in a short playing time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played all three of these, and while I haven't played any of them with 2, I think that Steam Works is the clear winner here. I don't think either Spyrium or Steampunk Rally would be particularly appealing with two--Spyrium is all about having lots of people place their pawns around cards, and SPR has 7 Wonder-style drafting. On the other hand, I can imagine Steam Works working particularly well with two, as you construct your machines hoping that your opponent will use them and help you out, but making sure they don't help them too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to take a look at Steam Time. It works very well with two, but be aware that it's quite abstract.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steam Torpedo: First Contact is only for two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played either, but there's also
Planet Steam from FFG, and
BioShock Infinite: The Siege of Columbia. Both look pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.