Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ran across the Tropical Waterworld event card, which includes 3 red sun icons labelled together as ARMAGEDDON. Before seeing this card, I thought Armageddon as defined under D10 was any case where a sequence of event cards produced 4 red suns or 4 blue snowflakes. So if you'd already seen 3 event cards in a row with red suns and then drew the next event card and it, too, had a red sun, then you had Armageddon.

But now I am thinking you only check for Armageddon when the event card (like Tropical Waterworld) prompts you with the Armageddon event. And I haven't been through the entire deck yet, but I assume there is another card that prompts for Armageddon but has 3 blue snowflakes.

So is it the case that Armageddon is triggered only if you draw an event card with the Armageddon event and the conditions for it are in place when the event was drawn? Also, I assume that if I had seen 3 previous event cards in a row with red suns and I draw Tropical Waterworld, it counts as another red sun (it has 3 actually) and that would trigger Armageddon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a little confusing. Tropical Waterworld is a special case: the three warming icons there indicate that as long as it's active (until the next aftershock) it only takes 3 warming icons in a row instead of 4 to generate a runaway greenhouse armageddon. From the rules, section D1:

Quote:
After performing the events on this card, place it on top of the continent Landform. While this card is present, the continent Landform remains inactive (the result of plate tectonics has shutting down), all +earth events (D3​) skip over the continents row and go to the next Refugia deck higher (therefore no roiling of continent Mutations or adding of continent Refugia), and a runaway greenhouse Armageddon (D10​) occurs with three suns instead of four. Remove the card and its effects (restarting plate tectonics) when the next aftershock occurs.

So:
1) You do check for Armageddon every event, not just when this card is drawn. You can see that I place them overlapping so you can see the succession of animations in my session report, like this image:

2) The warming icons on this card don't count for warming animations. They're just there to indicate that you need 3 instead of 4 to set off armegeddon.
3) There's no similar card with cooling icons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much, Matt. That completely explains it. I managed to not find D1 when I needed it but it is all there.

Again, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Van Genechten
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game yesterday and I also ran into questions related to Armageddon. (Instead of creating a second thread about the same subject I`ll hijack this one if you don`t mind)

1. Counting icons
Armageddon counts only for event cards with a climate icon? or Also the event cards without a climate icon?

example:
- snowflake event,
- snowflake event,
- no icon event,
- snowflake event.

Does this trigger the snowball earth?

2. Gaia and Evil self-aware AI Parasites
Unfortunately I ran into a snowball earth in my first game
Since I play solo, I obviously prefer to spend a catalyst or suffer Atrophy over finishing the game completely. But how do the AI Parasites think of that?
a) Their only purpose is to doom the planet so they vote Medea
b) They only vote Gaia when they can spend a catalyst from the host but vote Medea if they need to suffer an Atrophy?
c) They only care about surviving so they will vote Gaia even if they will suffer an Atrophy. (Special case: what when they only have their biont left? it just goes back to the AI tableau?)

3. Armageddon chances
How often does an Armageddon vote gets triggered. Since it happened in my first game. I wonder if changes are rather high that you will encounter this in a session?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fonza wrote:
1. Counting icons[/size]
Armageddon counts only for event cards with a climate icon? or Also the event cards without a climate icon?

example:
- snowflake event,
- snowflake event,
- no icon event,
- snowflake event.

Does this trigger the snowball earth?
No, it doesn't. If an event card does not have a climate icon, then it has no impact on the climate counts (i.e. it is invisible for this purpose). In your scenario, you have seen 3 snowflake icons without seeing a sun icon.

Quote:
2. Gaia and Evil self-aware AI Parasites[/size]
Unfortunately I ran into a snowball earth in my first game
Since I play solo, I obviously prefer to spend a catalyst or suffer Atrophy over finishing the game completely. But how do the AI Parasites think of that?
a) Their only purpose is to doom the planet so they vote Medea
b) They only vote Gaia when they can spend a catalyst from the host but vote Medea if they need to suffer an Atrophy?
c) They only care about surviving so they will vote Gaia even if they will suffer an Atrophy. (Special case: what when they only have their biont left? it just goes back to the AI tableau?)
The solitaire rules don't say. Since this is solitaire, I would choose how I want the parasites to play based on how challenging I want the game to be.

Quote:
3. Armageddon chances[/size]
How often does an Armageddon vote gets triggered. Since it happened in my first game. I wonder if changes are rather high that you will encounter this in a session?
Armageddon's are somewhat rare, in my experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.