Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

I'm starting to dabble into DIY and I wanted to see if there is any feedback on printers which can produce full bleed color images at reasonable accuracy.

I don't want to spend more than $200 on this printer.

I currently own Brother MFC-J475DW and when I print full color at 600 dpi (max settings), the results are very bland. I tried different settings with color saturation, brightness and contrast controls and I just can't produce a fair representation of the files I see on the computer. Now I understand that I can shell out $500+ on photo printer, but this is not required at this point in time as I'm still learning the trade.

That being said, I found these two printers at Best Buy and I was wondering if there is any feedback on print quality when printing full color files?

- Epson - WorkForce Pro WF-4630 Wireless All-In-One Printer
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/epson-workforce-pro-wf-4630-wire...

- HP - ENVY 7640 Wireless e-All-in-One Printer
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-envy-7640-wireless-e-all-in-o...

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patty Pilf
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Could it be paper quality?

I've used brands where I've used every type of paper setting and colour setting available with terrible results.

A change of paper and the results have been amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AntandBeeandtheABC wrote:

I've used brands where I've used every type of paper setting and colour setting available with terrible results.

I doubt it. Like I mentioned I tested out multiple settings while using plain, matte cardstock and glossy paper. Colors still look like shit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After spending quite a bit on printers, ink etc, for me the answer is Fedex/Kinkos. Costs about the same in the long road and better quality than home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Rouleau
United States
Pennsauken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In terms of at home printing, full bleed is meaningless. I think the word you might be looking for is "borderless printing" like a photo printer. Full bleed is just talking about over printing the edge beyond the trim mark, which any printer can do within its paper size limits.

I have a $120 Epson photo printer I bought 6-7 years ago that I'm very happy with the results. I'm a graphic designer by trade, and deal with professional printing companies all the time. I can match color on that printer pretty damn close to professional offset printing. And yes, paper quality is very important, and the settings to match paper type is equally important. Usually I have to tweak the advanced color settings and paper settings a bit to match what I want.

Your Brother printer is an all in one. I've never known Brother printers to be really good at color reproduction, to me they're more of an office printer. Your two choices are not the way you want to go. You have to try to avoid an all in one if you can, because jack of all trades means master of none. Also, if you keep your old printer, you already have a scanner/copier. Why do you need another? Finally, you mentioned (or I think meant to mention) borderless printing. I don't know of any all in one that can do that unless you get a hacked 3rd party version of the software for it, which is more trouble than it's worth. Your main goal is color printing quality, go with a printer who's main job is reproducing color and that's it.

Oh, and 600 dpi is kind of excessive. Your files will be too large, and start to bog down your computer while working on them if you work large enough. For printing, all you need is 300 dpi. Numbers higher than that are typically for archival purposes, because you never know if you need to zoom in to a certain spot when reprinting something important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ahmedhadzi wrote:

I doubt it. Like I mentioned I tested out multiple settings while using plain, matte cardstock and glossy paper. Colors still look like shit.

Did you match the printing type to the paper type? If the printer expects a certain amount of reflection from the paper and it doesn't get it, the image comes out weirdly, even with the highest quality settings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahmed Hadzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
ahmedhadzi wrote:

Did you match the printing type to the paper type? If the printer expects a certain amount of reflection from the paper and it doesn't get it, the image comes out weirdly, even with the highest quality settings.

Yes sir!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
6 in a row! NFC North Champions!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ahmedhadzi wrote:
I tried different settings with color saturation, brightness and contrast controls and I just can't produce a fair representation of the files I see on the computer.

Do you have a good monitor and have the color calibrated? Your printer may be reproducing the image correctly...and your monitor is displaying it incorrectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.