Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: [Poll] Favorite archetype rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Sikachev
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Always thought everybody hates to be a Healer. Let's see if that's true!
Poll
What is your favorite archetype?
Warrior
Healer
Scout
Mage
      83 answers
Poll created by Aekold

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that I dislike Healers purely on the fact that I always end up being one as no one else wants to lol. But its essential to every campaign, I'm hoping the new hybrid classes will kill off set in stone archetypes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badmike01 wrote:
I think that I dislike Healers purely on the fact that I always end up being one as no one else wants to lol. But its essential to every campaign, I'm hoping the new hybrid classes will kill off set in stone archetypes.

New hybrid classes? What is that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Budapest wrote:
badmike01 wrote:

New hybrid classes? What is that?

You must not be following the news on the new expansion coming, it looks to really add some life to older classes, I'm quite excited myself. Check this article out, and I think there are a few forum threads, but the news is still very new.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/7/20/branchi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulises Vela
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
badmike01 wrote:

It's the same to me, and not only in this game. In every game where I play with my friends, I end up been the healer/support class. While I don't mind much, I think this role in general is underrated. People always prefer to be the "hero who killed the monster" and not the "hero who kept alive the hero who killed the monster".

Now, in Descent, there is something I find sometimes frustating. Descent has a battling system where a healer is a must have. And because of this, the healer is required to be doing two things most of the time, moving and healing. You can see that FFG tried to give the healer more "independence" in order to feel that he's having an impact on the quest over time. The Discipline and the Spiritspeaker both rely on doing the healing all the time, while the Apothecary will pass that healing process to the others with the Elixir system (yet, he needs to deliver this token himself). Now, the Bard has a different mechanic by healing the heroes with just standing near them, giving him more independence of what to do, but not where to be. Lastly, the Prohept, although he has to be the one triggering the heal, he is not force to be within certain spaces or having LoS of the hero, letting him have more "independence" on the map.

I hope the last (if there would be one) healer class brings a familiar. This because the familiar will be the devoted healer... and because it is the only class that doesn't have a familiar at his disposal.

I mean, I voted Mage because I have fun with them, they have many things to do in a turn, whether to summon-move a Reanimate or to confuse monsters with illusions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister Easton
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm missing the option: 'No preference'...
I like to play 'em all and even prefer to play a lto of different things, not alwasy the same thing.

On a side note, I'm going to go ahead and state that I think a party without a healer is doable with some careful planning in party composition...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.