Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 Rooms and a Boom --> 7 Noyabrya 1918
I played the P'n'P version of this with friends but found the art extremely lacking and the theme nonexistent. Granted, this is a simple party game, but I wanted to throw something together with a little more theme behind it.

Download here: link

My chosen theme ended up being the Russian Civil War, between the Reds and the Whites. This lent itself well to the concept of the game, and there's plenty of historical material and real characters to draw on, besides. Thus, the President becomes Tsar Nicholas II, and the Bomber becomes V. Lenin. I did 31 cards, or most of the basic set of 2R1B with some advanced cards.

The historical theme also allowed me to get creative -- instead of a generic zombie, we have the fearsome basmachi warriors from Central Asia, whose goal is to convert all surviving players into basmachi as well. Not only that, but our generic 'gambler' is now Woodrow Wilson -- president of the US and leader of the allied forces who tried to pick a winner (the Whites) from the beginning, and ended up failing miserably.

I will add real shots of this game as soon as it arrives -- I currently have it on order from The Game Crafter. I also have yet to retheme all the rules which I will do before making everything available to download.

And my favorite bit, the card back:

More card images:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting concept (and well put together!), but I think you're going to have real trouble playing this with anyone who isn't a Russian history scholar. The relationship between card name and ability is not at all intuitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to print out little aids and have one or two in each room. Just haven't designed it yet

Also, their little flavor text does describe their role in summary.

Thanks for dropping by!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
I'm going to print out little aids and have one or two in each room. Just haven't designed it yet

Also, their little flavor text does describe their role in summary.

Thanks for dropping by!

Ok. I hope you can post a session report about your experience after you get a chance to play with this set. I'm curious to see how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will do! We've only played the base set twice, and truthfully I'm not much for all the extra/weird roles. I think it'll work with the player/room aids, but we'll see how it goes. Alternatively, I may add each person's role somewhere on their card -- so that instead of Nicholas II people just have to remember Tsar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I've tweaked the card design so that the small white text, instead of saying the character's name in English, now says their role. Also, I've rewritten the 2R1B rulebook to match 7 Noyabrya terminology so all the role names are standardized. The full game includes:

Tsar (replaces President from 2R1B)
Tsar's Daughter
General (replaces Doctor from 2R1B)
Negotiator
Scout (replaces Mime from 2R1B)
Spy
White Army Soldiers (8x)

Revolutionary (replaces Bomber from 2R1B)
Lenin's Heir (replaces Martyr from 2R1B)
General (replaces Engineer from 2R1B)
Negotiator
Scout (replaces Mime from 2R1B)
Spy
Red Army Militiamen (8x)

Ally (replaces Gambler from 2R1B)
Basmachi (2x) (replaces Zombies from 2R1B)

My file upload is pending approval, but it includes:
- the new rulebook (I edited, clarified, and shortened where appropriate, and updated all the terminology to match my retheme),
- all 31 new cards formatted to print at The Game Crafter
- first draft of two leader cards (currently just two halves of an 8.5x11 sheet to print out -- eventually it will be a double-sided jumbo card with the relevant information)

Sadly, I ordered my cards before I made the above design tweaks, but it's still workable for me and the downloadable version will be correct anyhow.

A

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it odd that you said you dislike the extra/weird roles, but of the few you've adapted you chose mime and zombie. Zombie is the weirdest card in the whole set, and arguably broken. It's fun for the occasional crazy game, but most people would never have it in the standard rotation.

You also did the buried card alternates for bomber and president, but not for doctor and engineer?

I'm only pointing this out because it seems like your exuberance for the Russian theme has maybe outpaced your understanding of the game. If you'd like some input on what roles to re-theme to get the most bang for your buck (assuming limited time and resources on your part), I and others on this forum would gladly offer suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Grant,
Thanks for your input! I rethemed the Zombie as a kick, I don't anticipate playing for it much. Mime is just a little throwaway. Other than those two, I started and did something like the first four advanced scenarios -- I only did the secondaries for the president and bomber because four secondaries seemed overkill to me, so it would be an either-or between the secondaries or the primary helpers. The way my game group is set up we're never going to be getting too intense on this game, it'll almost always be new people, and rarely played anyways. So I don't really foresee needing anything much more complicated than the base game and a few different roles.

If you have suggestions for other roles, I'd be happy to hear them! I can update the set no problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
Hey Grant,
Thanks for your input! I rethemed the Zombie as a kick, I don't anticipate playing for it much. Mime is just a little throwaway. Other than those two, I started and did something like the first four advanced scenarios -- I only did the secondaries for the president and bomber because four secondaries seemed overkill to me, so it would be an either-or between the secondaries or the primary helpers. The way my game group is set up we're never going to be getting too intense on this game, it'll almost always be new people, and rarely played anyways. So I don't really foresee needing anything much more complicated than the base game and a few different roles.

If you have suggestions for other themes, I'd be happy to hear them! I can update the set no problem.

Ah, that makes more sense when you explain it like that.
My favorite set to introduce new people to the game is this:

President/Bomber
Doctor/Engineer
Spys
Coy Boys
If there's an odd number, either Gambler or MI6

And then to step it up a little more I throw in:
Conman
Enforcer
Ambassador (if it's a larger group, like 15+)
Moby/Ahab
Maid/Butler

These are my go-to setups when running games at big conventions (so constantly playing with new groups of people).
I rarely use a buried card, mostly because I like putting in more varied roles, and the secondaries take up too many of those slots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotcha! I'll definitely take a look at those for sure, especially the first one. We'll likely be smaller-ish groups when playing (11-15, mostly) so I'm trying to somewhat tune to that zone.

Coy Boys are the opposite of negotiators -- they can only color share and not card share?

I'll at least add those -- not sure how I missed them the first time around, actually. A lot of those grey characters you mentioned looked interesting as well, so I'll have to see how we can integrate them in thematically.

Thanks for sharing!

A

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
Gotcha! I'll definitely take a look at those for sure, especially the first one. We'll likely be smaller-ish groups when playing (11-15, mostly) so I'm trying to somewhat tune to that zone.

Coy Boys are the opposite of negotiators -- they can only color share and not card share?

I'll at least add those -- not sure how I missed them the first time around, actually. A lot of those grey characters you mentioned looked interesting as well, so I'll have to see how we can integrate them in thematically.

Thanks for sharing!

A

Yeah, the Coy Boys are a great role to put in with the Spies, because it gives the Spies a reason they can claim to only color share but not card share (Spies claim to be Coy Boys).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Download link added to original post!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.