Shannon Appelcline
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of the gavel cards talk about having a "meld" in play. Because Al Capone is the first MR game to allow for suits of more than 5 cards, it raises the question of what a meld is.

Possibilities:

1. The first set of three or more cards played to the table.

2. Any set of three or more cards played to the table simultaneously.

3. Any set of three or more cards on the table.

Out of context, the rules imply that #3 is the case. This is also borne out by the simplicity argument, because there's no defined way to mark layoffs and melds differently on the table. However, it's somewhat aesthetically displeasing to have a layoff turn into a meld when additional cards are played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:What's a Meld?
I understand your feelings about this, but I do think #3 is the correct interpretation -- any set of 3 or more cards, however it came to be, is considered a 'meld' for the interpretation of cards.

It may not be as 'neat' a game that way, but it makes for some interesting tactics:

Often I'll play a 1-card layoff, and hold a 2nd in my hand. When I come across a Raid card, I may then execute a Search Warrant to find another piece of evidence so that I can turn my 1-card layoff into a 3-card meld and ready to Raid my opponent. Even when that tactic fails, at least I have kept my opponent from being able to grab both cards with one Gavel -- an important consideration, I think.

I have to admit that I really enjoy the rules as written and enjoy the thematic fit a great deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:What's a Meld?
I can't find the post where it was discussed, but I do recall reading a comment from the designer that stated that once lay-offs reached three cards, it was considered a meld. At any rate, it's how I've played it, too, and I'll agree with the interesting tactics it produces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.