$20.00
$5.00
Elliot Kravitz
United States
Croton on Hudson
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules say you must occupy a planetary system (developed or undeveloped, as the case may be), to attempt these builds/actions. What if there is a Rival in the system with whom you are at Peace? It seems logical to me that if they don't want to prevent it, it should be allowed (just like needing permission for movement).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Colonizing and hegemony are not affected by enemy ships, nor do these actions invalidate a trade agreement. Planetary invasion, however, requires there to be no rival ships in the system, and will revoke any trade agreement you have with that player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliot Kravitz
United States
Croton on Hudson
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you say that? The rules specifically state that you must Occupy the system to perform Hegemony or to build a colony. The rules also define that "You Occupy a Sector when you are the only player with any Ships in that Sector". I agree that this should be allowed if you are at Peace with the other rival. But then again, the same logic should apply to invasion. Are you the designer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
eskravitz wrote:
Are you the designer?

FYI, if you don't want anyone other than GF9 to answer your question, don't post it in a public forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliot Kravitz
United States
Croton on Hudson
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't take offense as none was intended. Ideally, GF9 will respond here, as they seem to have done so before. I'm also open to see what others have done, but whereas I gave my reasoning for my question, you answered rather decisively and without your logic, so I wondered if you are the designer. Also, I don't see a board on the GF9 site. Is there a private forum for this game as you suggest and if so, where? (and why would that be better than BGG?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the rules say that you are at peace if you hold another player's trade agreement, and hostile if you dont.
the rules dont specify it but i feel that being at peace should fulfill the condition to occupy a system even with that rival's ships; the system isnt contested.

it seems only reasonable that colonizing or a hegemony roll is allowed while at peace with the other ships in the sector, at least if they dont already control that planet.

but likewise, that rival is free to take back his trade agreement if he doesnt want you to take the planet and as such force you to fight his ships first.

if the other player allows you to take the planet, i see no reason to disallow it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliot Kravitz
United States
Croton on Hudson
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
the rules say that you are at peace if you hold another player's trade agreement, and hostile if you dont.
the rules dont specify it but i feel that being at peace should fulfill the condition to occupy a system even with that rival's ships; the system isnt contested.

it seems only reasonable that colonizing or a hegemony roll is allowed while at peace with the other ships in the sector, at least if they dont already control that planet.

but likewise, that rival is free to take back his trade agreement if he doesnt want you to take the planet and as such force you to fight his ships first.

if the other player allows you to take the planet, i see no reason to disallow it.

I agree with this reasoning and think it's consistent with the rules for movement. I'd love to see an official ruling from GF9.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gale Force Nine LLC
United States
Earlysville
Virginia
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You are required to Occupy a System to Colonize, Invade or Attempt Hegemony of it. The rules state "You Occupy a Sector when you are the only player with any Ships in that Sector".

Asking Peaceful Rivals’ permission is a great way to play the game. This allows for more teamwork in the later stages of the game, which is important in games with more players (the Ferengi & Cardassians are coming soon). We officially endorse it as a new Optional Rule:

ALLY COOPERATION

When Attempting Hegemony, Invading or Colonizing a System in which both you and a peaceful Rival have Ships, you may ask that Rival for permission to Hegemony, Invade or Colonize the System. They may give, or deny, permission. If they deny permission, you may not take any action towards the system until you fully Occupy that System (i.e. are the only player to have Ships in the System).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gale Force Nine wrote:
(the Ferengi & Cardassians are coming soon)

How soon? cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Wort
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
How many times can an empire attempt Hegemony in a single sector in a single turn? Once per turn or once per command expended up to the number of available commands, i.e. if you fail at Hegemony, must you wait another turn before trying again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as long as you can pay the culture and use a command, you can continue trying the hegemony again and again.

a turn supposedly represents 10 years so that leaves some room for enough time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.