Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1.) Provoking encounters: If successfully provoking an encounter, you may choose the creature's type from among those available in that terrain hex. Also, you may add 1 dice to the LR pool for each avatar in the band when attempting the provocation, similar to combat.

Reason: Thematically this represents the avatar(s) being hunters and tracking down a specific animal as well as being able to better do this in a group. This helps in the Shadows of Malice: Seekers of a Hidden Light expansion as well.

2.) Combat: Once the target of the creature has been determined, a CR between the target avatar and creature, alone, will occur first. If the creature wins the CR, deliver wounds to the target accordingly. If the avatar wins, deliver its wounds accordingly (unless it was defending this phase). After that, the creature must make a defense CR against any remaining non-defending avatars in the band, one at a time, resolving any wounds delivered. Note: When the CR's are rolled above, you do not add extra d6's from the other avatars in the band as you would normally. Instead, you roll only 1d6 for the avatar's base chance and add in individual modifiers from pots or items as if the avatar was fighting solo. The difference in this variant is that the avatars in a band can get in multiple attack attempts each combat phase instead of only 1, but their chances of success on the attempts are lower overall to balance things.

Example: In a band of 3 avatars A, B, and C the creature is determined to attack avatar A. The creature then attempts to deliver wounds on this avatar. If it loses the CR, avatar A delivers its wound(s) to the creature instead. After that, avatars B and C get to make their attack attempts on the defending creature, one at a time. In these two attacks, the creature does not get to deliver any wounds since it is only defending.

Reason: I think this variant will allow a combat experience that is a bit more exciting, quicker, personalized for each player, and realistic.

3.) Lairs: Creatures in stocked or unstocked Lairs will not automatically attack avatars who move onto the hex. Thematically this means that the creature is deep inside the Lair and the avatars must choose to go into it in order to enter combat or simply remain out in the terrain to travel through, rest, or attack Shadows.

Reason: I think there are too many awkward situations that arise with the Shadows and Lairs and this will get rid of them.

4.) Radiance Tokens: Instead of the current way in which these work, randomly give each avatar a different Radiance token to begin the game. If they receive a drain, they lose this token back to the pool as normal but once it is recovered, randomly give them another Radiance token from the pool.

Reason: If you only play 1 tile, these tokens are pointless. Plus I'd rather give them some use right off the bat. Thematically these avatars are beings of light themselves and do not need a Light Well to enjoy blessings of Radiance. This will also give a little more variety and flavor to each particular avatar during set-up.

As I think of more, I will add them in.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some great ideas, Greg. Thank you for sharing them.

I love SoM yet find some of the "keeping track" aspects of numeric juggling daunting within this enfeebled brain. Ideas to streamline it a bit, without clobbering it, are welcome variations I will be trying.

Thank you for both the contribution to Jim's game and my enjoyment of it. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks James! I love the game too

I'm currently thinking of a way to cut the play time down a lot (maybe an hr or 1.5hr) but still give a grand experience.

It would be 1 tile and 2 avatars.

But I think in order to use some of the mechanics like Gates and Radiance tokens you need to have 2 tiles using the normal rules at least.

So I think in the end a 2 Tile and 3 avatar game is what I will shoot for.

One of the things that really bothers me in multiplayer is that when banded, a player can sort of feel like a third wheel in their contributions to the party, decision wise, especially in movement and combat. I think the way I tweaked it, so that each avatar gets to make a roll and potentially deliver wounds each phase, helps alleviate this a bit.

For movement, I think I would rather go with the highest roll in the band instead of the lowest. I think this would speed things along better too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.