Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
I've only played this once, last night, and original Caracassonne only once, years ago, so I have no experience with either game. During our game of C:SS last night a situation came up like this:

The black player was on a bridge to collect shells. On his own tile. The red player placed an island tile that had a bridge. He connected the bridge to the black player's bridge end. This completed the bridge for the black player.

So... Does the black player first take the shells for the completed bridge? And then takes back his meemple. We did this.

But does this mean that the red player can now place a red meeple on the same bridge, on his just-laid-tile, to collect the same shells that were just collected by the black player? And he would then take back his red meeple. We didn't allow this.

I realize this can't happen with fish that are covered by the boat after fishing, but I can't seem to find anything in the rules to prevent this. Yet some members who'd played regular Carcassonne said red couldn't collect any shell but instead had to either fish or collect bananas on the island.

Is there any specific section of the rule book I'm missing that addresses this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First you place a meeple. Then only do you resolve an area to possibly collect resources. With that said, the red player cannot place his meeple on the bridge, because it's already occupied. He may place on an island or on a sea. Once he does that, the black player removes his meeple from the bridge and collects shells.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you can not use your meeple to claim a feature already claimed by an existing meeple.

I suppose there's argument about the timing of the active player placing a meeple vs the scoring player removing a meeple - but I'd argue that the active player must decide first, and clearly can't place a meeple to share.

So, they place on any available, unclaimed feature - THEN the existing meeple of the other player(s) is scored and removed.

(of course, sharing can happen thru connections - often with some kind of corner placement)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Please cite me the specific section of the rule book that covers this. The exact page and section.

I guess what I'm hearing is that even though the initial tile placement may complete something, the completion can only technically happen after the meeple placement, which then leads to an evaluation, and since the bridge in my example was occupied, the other player's meeple doesn't leave until after the new meeple is placed. And the new meeple can't be placed on the bridge because the other player's meeple is on the bridge.

But I just don't see it clearly explained in the rules. No section or example on how to handle when the placement of a new tile completes something for another player.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MPMelanchthon wrote:
Please cite me the specific section of the rule book that covers this. The exact page and section.

On page 3 at the bottom of the page, there are two examples that explain that you may not place a meeple on any terrain feature that is already occupied.

The lower half of page 5 shows the only way that multiple meeples may ever share the scoring for one terrain feature, and that is for them to be placed separately and legally and *already be in place* when a new tile is placed that then joins those separated terrain features into one larger feature. Note that when that last tile is placed, no meeples may be placed on the terrain feature that is being joined, because it is already occupied, as covered in the page 3 examples.

This concept is a cornerstone of play across the entire Carcassonne family, it's how players contest for control and scoring in areas of the tableau, either poaching into someone else's controlled area to share the score, or taking control of a scoring feature to take the score away from anyone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Play proceeds clockwise from the start player. Each player carries out their turn in the following sequence:

1. The player must draw 1 Sea tile and place it according to the Sea tile placement rules.

2a. The player may place 1 Islander from their supply on the tile they just placed OR
2b. The player may retrieve 1 Islander from a Sea tile and place it back in their supply. (A player may also choose not to place or retrieve an Islander.)

3. If the placed tile causes 1 or more occupied Bridges, Islands, Sea Regions or Markets to be completed, OR a Fishing Boat is added to an occupied Sea Region, an evaluation occurs and Wares or Ships are awarded.

Bolded parts done by me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.