$20.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » General

Subject: Luxury problem. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave van Zundert
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I got both Rise of the Runelords and Skull and Shackles complete with all adventures and all for a good price. I played the first 3 scenarios of RotR but am tempted to start SaS because I feel like being a pirate! Aaarrrrh!

My question is if I play SaS now is it still fun to go back to RotR after completing it? Or is it really a better idea to play through RotR first?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RotR has fewer twists and exceptions, so after playing S&S, RotR might feel a bit bland. Or easy to win, according to some.

But starting with S&S might be a smoother experience, because S&S has refined rules that clean up some ambiguities in RotR.

Thematically, they are unconnected, so it won't matter which one you do first. With either one, I highly recommend downloading the fan-created Adventure Guide from the Files section here on BGG.

Bottom line: I think either way is fine.

EDIT: But note that my wife and I loved RotR, but disliked S&S enough to quit in the middle of the campaign. I know others feel the opposite. So just because you like/dislike one of them, you might still dislike/like the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert O'Hearne
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
EDIT: But note that my wife and I loved RotR, but disliked S&S enough to quit in the middle of the campaign. I know others feel the opposite. So just because you like/dislike one of them, you might still dislike/like the other.

I'm really surprised by this. S&S has a few problematic scenarios, but in general I found the gameplay to be excellent, and not that much different from RotR. But to each their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
elcoderdude wrote:
I'm really surprised by this. S&S has a few problematic scenarios, but in general I found the gameplay to be excellent, and not that much different from RotR. But to each their own.

S&S responded to the complaints about RotR, that it was too easy, and didn't have enough variety. One main way they made it harder was to add effects that thwarted progress. "After you defeat this henchman the first time, shuffle her back into the location deck". "Whenever you lose a combat, shuffle an additional monster from the box into every location deck". "After this card is revealed, nobody can move until it is defeated".

Those are all made-up effects, but are similar enough to what we encountered that they'll work as examples. The effect, for us, was that the game was:

1. Harder to get all the rules right. RotR had enough little bits of rules to remember, but S&S had even more. I tracked our S&S rules errors that I became aware of during or after the games, and we averaged a few per session.

2. Swingier. There were a couple scenarios that could have been trivial, or literally impossible, depending on the location shuffle. That was always true to a degree in RotR, but was much stronger in S&S. There were also more cases of the right/wrong character encountering a bane being trivial/impossible, and a good/bad die roll at the wrong moment being catastrophic. There was one barrier which, when it was drawn, literally meant we immediately could not possibly win that scenario.

3. Frustrating. Yay, we defeated the...oh, crap, it doesn't count. Hey, we can...oh, no, we can't because of this effect. Wait, you mean we're going to have to defeat everything a second time here? It just felt like we were jumping through pointless hoops, all in service of it being...

4. Harder to win. We had to replay a LOT more scenarios in S&S than we ever did in RotR. For us, replaying a scenario here or there was fine. Replaying a scenario a third time would be OK maybe once or twice during the whole campaign. S&S was making us replay scenarios, including multiple times, and we didn't enjoy that at all.

The last box or two of RotR has some of that S&S flavor. We didn't enjoy the end of RotR as much as the earlier boxes, and S&S just exaggerated that even more.

I have heard similar reports from others, but I believe they are a minority view. For many people, the increased difficulty and variety of S&S was a big improvement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave van Zundert
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for this 'discussion' guys. It helps a lot. I will plat RotR first so I don't go back from a 'harder' game to an 'easier' one. Don't want to spoil the experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Late reply, but if you find S&S on sale, buy it! IMO, Gameplay differences are minor enough that if you like the pirate theme, you should play S&S then return to RotR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.