Subject: Duh, Moving CAN be interrupted THEN resumed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have played FOUR sessions of the intro scenario and JUST NOW realized that movement can be interrupted then resumed after taking another action. Can't recall this being in the Learn to Play - only saw it after a video review mentioned you can take an action before, DURING, or after moving. Sure enough, the Rules Reference describes that completely under "Moving". Well, good to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oldschoolgamr wrote:
I have played FOUR sessions of the intro scenario and JUST NOW realized that movement can be interrupted then resumed after taking another action. Can't recall this being in the Learn to Play - only saw it after a video review mentioned you can take an action before, DURING, or after moving. Sure enough, the Rules Reference describes that completely under "Moving". Well, good to know.

Oof, easy mistake, but that would be very annoying!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Magdzinski
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That actually makes a big difference for me. I made a lot of wasted movement just to go one space to do something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas White
United States
Pacific Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed that the "How to Play" book doesn't make that distinction, but the "Rules Reference" does clear it up. It's a very unfortunate sentence to have omitted from the HtP book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ScubaSteveKzoo wrote:
That actually makes a big difference for me. I made a lot of wasted movement just to go one space to do something.
Exactly! Me too. Thought I would post it here in case anyone else assumed they didn't have to read the Rules Reference for movement... Strange omission from Learn to Play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously needed too, otherwise you end up wasting too much time moving no where. We're almost at a point where we want to house-rule to allow for a free Search action with a Move action, since we really like searching everything on the board but doing so makes us waste too many turns and end up losing the scenario...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Andrews
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Heya Shnar,

I considered that house rule today too when playing "Escape from Innsmouth" as the exploration is part of what I really enjoy but (very tiny mechanism spoiler under tag)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
if there's any scenarios with timers it seriously limits the exploring. However I think it might affect the balance especially as one of my investigators was 'Obsessive'.

Craig

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Seriously needed too, otherwise you end up wasting too much time moving no where. We're almost at a point where we want to house-rule to allow for a free Search action with a Move action, since we really like searching everything on the board but doing so makes us waste too many turns and end up losing the scenario...

-shnar

Don't do that! It could throw off the balance since search sometimes gives you cool stuff that really helps - that is only countered by the time you lose searching - bringing those nasty mythos effects sooner! Clearing the board is a challenge because it is supposed to be - gotta make tough decisions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TheMadWelshWizard wrote:
Heya Shnar,

I considered that house rule today too when playing "Escape from Innsmouth" as the exploration is part of what I really enjoy but (very tiny mechanism spoiler under tag)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
if there's any scenarios with timers it seriously limits the exploring. However I think it might affect the balance especially as one of my investigators was 'Obsessive'.

Craig

That happened to one of my investigators in a solo play and it made for the most tense endgame near loss victory during the first scenario I had (out of the four completed so far). Amazing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amanwing
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe I am an idiot but you only have two actions or? We played it that you move one space as an action. Is that wrong? Because it must be or else it would be useless to interrupt it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Evans
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Board Game Replay
badge
Check out our series at youtube.com/boardgamereplay
mbmbmbmbmb
oldschoolgamr wrote:

Ahh man, thanks for pointing this out. I've played 4 games now and still haven't been playing this correctly. I feel like this could / should have just been in the Learn to Play book. It's not like it's something obscure that would need a detailed clarification when it came up. It's something you can take advantage of every single turn...

Oh well, shame on me for not reading all the action descriptions from both books!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
amanwing wrote:
maybe I am an idiot but you only have two actions or? We played it that you move one space as an action. Is that wrong? Because it must be or else it would be useless to interrupt it.

Each move action allows you to move two spaces!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mattamd wrote:
oldschoolgamr wrote:

Ahh man, thanks for pointing this out. I've played 4 games now and still haven't been playing this correctly. I feel like this could / should have just been in the Learn to Play book. It's not like it's something obscure that would need a detailed clarification when it came up. It's something you can take advantage of every single turn...

Oh well, shame on me for not reading all the action descriptions from both books!

Yeah, I felt like an idiot. I only lost once so far and this wouldn't have helped, but man - all those single spaces I could have moved after searching... Glad to pass it on - It is called Learn to Play, come on FFG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amanwing
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two spaces....no wonder we lost thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They should have just explained it like Descent. A move action gives you two movement points. You may spend them as you wish across your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You can also move up to three spaces if you Explore a room as well, since searching a room allows you to move one space into the room "for free".

So you could:

Action 1 - Move - Move 1 space

Interrupt for Action 2 - Explore - Move 1 space into the explored room

Finish Move action, move last space for a total of three spaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oldschoolgamr wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Don't do that! It could throw off the balance since search sometimes gives you cool stuff that really helps - that is only countered by the time you lose searching - bringing those nasty mythos effects sooner! Clearing the board is a challenge because it is supposed to be - gotta make tough decisions...

If they made it clear what you were supposed to be searching or where you were supposed to be searching, and the rest was just fluff or treasures, I could see that. But so far, rarely are you given any indication you should search here or there. Just search. Also, if there was an indication that you should be hurrying, but there really isn't.

The other problem we have, my group just hates leaving things where they unexplored. They're completionists, they get all OCD about searching everything, and I honestly don't know if I want to discourage that. It's fun seeing all these hidden things, but it sucks knowing that you're going to lose.

Also, there are so many turns where we are just one space away from the exploration, so have to waste half a turn just to move that step. The house rule we're considering is "When you Search, you can move 1 space before Searching."

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

shnar wrote:
The other problem we have, my group just hates leaving things where they unexplored. They're completionists, they get all OCD about searching everything

Let me guess. When playing Road to Legend they're being hammered into the ground before ever reaching Silver...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is exactly the problem with the 2 rulebook approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I didn't know that. We played wrong last night then. Thanks for the thread.

The 2 rulebook approach works, but key rules like this should have been in the L2P guide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Brace
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mansions has always been about investigating and searching, more than combat. You're supposed to take the time to look at everything for clues, you're trying to solve a mystery. It's quite thematically different in that regard from Descent, you're not heroes trying to defeat the bad guys. You're an investigator, a relative, a student, etc., just looking into to some very weird happenings. By making it easier to move and search, you kind of ruin the tension and suspense of being an average person in a weird and almost incomprehensible story. Sorry shnar, hope you're not offended. Actually a huge fan of yours and rely on a lot of your posts for Descent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Noahboa wrote:
This is exactly the problem with the 2 rulebook approach.

How so? That people are reading the "Quick Start" guide and not the full rulebook, and thus not getting every rule right? The Rule Reference has every rule you need to play. The Learn To Play guide is just a quick start, a lot of common rules to jump right in. After your first game, you should never look at that guide again, just the Rules Reference.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
metalfoot21 wrote:
Mansions has always been about investigating and searching, more than combat. You're supposed to take the time to look at everything for clues, you're trying to solve a mystery. It's quite thematically different in that regard from Descent, you're not heroes trying to defeat the bad guys. You're an investigator, a relative, a student, etc., just looking into to some very weird happenings. By making it easier to move and search, you kind of ruin the tension and suspense of being an average person in a weird and almost incomprehensible story. Sorry shnar, hope you're not offended. Actually a huge fan of yours and rely on a lot of your posts for Descent.

Heh, I don't think offense was intended. And frankly yes, the first time at RtL the heroes got trounced. Wasn't until we read the "Art of the Blitz" article that things changed.

But back on point, this game doesn't give you the time to investigate everything. If you spend that much time searching, you get to the main plot points too late. I don't even mine some time pressure but only if A) they give you a clear indication that you're on the clock and B) they give you a clear indication of the important spots to search. They really don't do either, so it's kind of a crap shoot. That's why we're starting to include a free search, to compensate for that.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.