Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chung Chan
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if these questions are covered elsewhere:

1. Is there a printing mistake with the Klingon Marauder fleet? Every card has 3 highlighted spaces except for this card.

2. After drawing and resolving a crisis or discovery card that doesn't remain in play, is the planet now empty and ready for colonization?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradly Billingsley
United States
Lafayette
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
cw2chan wrote:

1. Is there a printing mistake with the Klingon Marauder fleet? Every card has 3 highlighted spaces except for this card.

That one Klingon fleet can never be knocked out of a fleet grouping unless all ships are killed. It is intentional.

cw2chan wrote:

2. After drawing and resolving a crisis or discovery card that doesn't remain in play, is the planet now empty and ready for colonization?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Krazed459 wrote:
[q="cw2chan"]Not sure if these questions are covered elsewhere:

That one Klingon fleet can never be knocked out of a fleet grouping unless all ships are killed. It is intentional.

[q]

Where do you get this from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the rule on disbanding fleets is quite specific that any fleet is disbanded if it ever has less than 3 ships.

the rules never mention a difference between white border and non-white border slots on the fleet cards, so its just a visual aid than an indication of an exception.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chung Chan
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what confused me, there is no exception mentioned for the Marauder fleet. I guess I'll wait for the official answer from GF9.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What is the text on the marauder fleet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can see it here:
http://startrek.gf9games.com/Home/tabid/56/entryid/91/the-kl...

I'm going to guess mis-print. The text on that page says "as a small formation, they are easy to break up in combat unless commanded by a true warrior."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
None of that text allows it to exist with less than 3 ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradly Billingsley
United States
Lafayette
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Novacat wrote:

That's the ruling I got from the guy who demoed the game for us at Gencon. Maybe he was just making something up on the fly, but he seemed confident in the answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Krazed459 wrote:
Novacat wrote:

That's the ruling I got from the guy who demoed the game for us at Gencon. Maybe he was just making something up on the fly, but he seemed confident in the answer.

Had he said the fleet could exist with less than 3 ships, that would have been making stuff up. There's no reason to believe that is the case for this fleet or any other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
There's a gencon video where some of the rules the guy states don't matchup to the rule book.

People just sometimes get things wrong, and it can be better to take a stab at a rule and get on with the game.

It may be the case that marauders doesn't need 3 ships but I doubt it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fitchett
United States
Garnet Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cw2chan wrote:

imho there is a general game rule that says a card overrides a rulebook. Therefore The card doesn't have the white outline so one ship could be a fleet even though logically how could one ship be a fleet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
surfitch wrote:
cw2chan wrote:

imho there is a general game rule that says a card overrides a rulebook. Therefore The card doesn't have the white outline so one ship could be a fleet even though logically how could one ship be a fleet.

The card doesn't say anything about overriding the general rule, though.

By your logic, the fleet could exist with 0 ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The rules say: "If a fleet ever contains fewer than three ships, it is immediately disbanded."

The rules do not say: "If a fleet ever contains fewer ships than the highlighted spaces on its fleet card, it is immediately disbanded."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Maiz
United States
Palmyra
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Novacat wrote:
The rules say: "If a fleet ever contains fewer than three ships, it is immediately disbanded."

This.

No fleet may have less than 3 ships. Even during a battle, so if a fleet looses all but two ships, they loose the fleet bonuses if there are any and the ships come out of the fleet. Looks like a misprint. Im sure some of the the Gencon volunteers got confused and misunderstood the rule to be that the highlighted areas were the minimums and thought that fleet 1 was ok to have 2 or even 1 ship in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkmancer wrote:
There's a gencon video where some of the rules the guy states don't matchup to the rule book.

People just sometimes get things wrong, and it can be better to take a stab at a rule and get on with the game.

It may be the case that marauders doesn't need 3 ships but I doubt it.

As someone who ran demos every day at gencon (not for GF9) I can tell you that getting rules wrong happens. And I wasn't teaching anything as complex as Ascendancy. I've found that it's best to keep your ruling consistent for that demo and then inform the players at the end where you went wrong and apologize, then next demo you know better and can improve. My day 1 demos when I was less familiar with the games versus my day 4 demos were noticeably different as I learned the little intricacies that came up during game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cunningham
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing it that the Marauder fleet can exist with fewer than 3 ships. I honestly didn't think to question that. The lack of an outline around 3 boxes for that fleet now strikes me as either a misprint, or an indication that Marauder fleets have no minimum ship count.

I hope we get an official ruling on this soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hepcat1 wrote:
I've been playing it that the Marauder fleet can exist with fewer than 3 ships. I honestly didn't think to question that. The lack of an outline around 3 boxes for that fleet now strikes me as either a misprint, or an indication that Marauder fleets have no minimum ship count.

I hope we get an official ruling on this soon.

cant remember where but im pretty sure it was stated officially it was a missprint. but for the life of me i cant find it, maybe i imagined it lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
GF9 uses the Marauder fleet as an example of a fleet that breaks up after going below 3 ships here: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23279512#23279512
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.