Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
58 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Science Fiction, or 'Space' boardgame - Looking for some suggestions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MGAC California
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Folks,

In looking over our collection of boardgames, I found a bit of a void I want to fill. Most of our games are fantasy style games, adventure, or Cthulhu games. My lovely wife and I are looking for a 'Sci-Fi' game.

This is a broad category, I realize, but I'm hoping for suggestions. Here is what I have right now.

Level 7 - What we would consider to be a medium to high learning curve.
Mission: Red Planet - Eurogame with Sci-Fi trappings
Space Alert - No idea the complexity of this game, but it looked amazing.

Of course...there's always X-Wing, but that is not my lovely wife's cup of tea.

So...in the Sci-Fi genre (including space battles, but just about anything) what would you folks suggest? If it's good, I'll go grab it this weekend.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
For the two of you...you might want to look at Star Wars Rebellion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Alert is a great game, but you really need 4-5 people for it to shine (and it's best if it's a regular group of the same 4-5 people). I would not recommend it if it's just going to be the two of you most of the time.

My suggestions:

Core Worlds - an awesome sci-fi/space-themed deck builder
Merchant of Venus - quirky space-themed pick up and deliver game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGAC California
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MGAC wrote:
Folks,

In looking over our collection of boardgames, I found a bit of a void I want to fill. Most of our games are fantasy style games, adventure, or Cthulhu games. My lovely wife and I are looking for a 'Sci-Fi' game.

This is a broad category, I realize, but I'm hoping for suggestions. Here is what I have right now.

Level 7 - What we would consider to be a medium to high learning curve.
Mission: Red Planet - Eurogame with Sci-Fi trappings
Space Alert - No idea the complexity of this game, but it looked amazing.

Of course...there's always X-Wing, but that is not my lovely wife's cup of tea.

So...in the Sci-Fi genre (including space battles, but just about anything) what would you folks suggest? If it's good, I'll go grab it this weekend.

Thanks!

The only other restriction I should have mentioned, is we're looking for a currently/recently produced or retailed game. I don't want to go bargain hunting for a game like Amoeba Wars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eminent Domain and Roll for the Galaxy are my favorites which happen to play very well at 2p out of the box.

Eclipse + Eclipse: Rise of the Ancients trumps everything, and can afford a great deal of empire/engine building and exploration for 2p without a lot of direct conflict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game

The Awful Green Things From Outer Space
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Best
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two of my favorite Sci-Fi games are:

The Captain Is Dead which is a nice co-operatvie game where you are the crew of a spaceship that is trying to survive an alien attack.
Xia: Legends of a Drift System which has a wonderful open world/sandbox for you to explore as the captain of your own ship.

I will freely admit that Xia can be a bit pricy, but you definitely get your money's worth with everything that comes in the box. Also, Xia is designed to be played with 3-5 players, but you can make it work as a 2 player game if each player controls two ships.

I highly recommend The Captain is Dead though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Alien Frontiers, but it doesn't play as well with 2 players.

Star Realms is really good.

I'm currently considering Eminent Domain and Xenon Profiteer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short to be angry all the time. Smile and enjoy the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Merchant of Venus (second edition)

Was my GF's favorite game for a bit. Something about the roll move cargo business kept her interested.

She also liked Alien Frontiers even with 2, because it was different than anything we had at the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I echo what Justin said about Space Alert being amazing in general but not at its best with 2.

If you're amused by misery and failure-- sorry, I mean, if you enjoy a challenge you might look into Galaxy Trucker by the same designer as Space Alert. That's still not *best* with 2, but it's pretty good.

I also like Impulse, which is great with 2 if you take off the top and bottom row of the initial card layout (the two 3-card rows). It's still fun with the original map, but it's less competitive. That's a fun short brain-burner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
portland
OR
flag msg tools
Except Colt Express!
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
I see you are a big fan of Descent, so maybe Galaxy Defenders?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum ... amazing game

Star Realms is a fantastic really light deckbuilder.

And while not a 'space' game, Blue Moon City is on another alien world (with dragons whistle) and everyone should own it... if you can find a copy. Difficult at the moment, but if you ever see a copy at a reasonable price, jump on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Quantum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

I'll second The Awful Green Things From Outer Space. It's a very fun approach to a space ship being invaded by aliens.

And an old one, that you probably won't be able to go out and buy this weekend, is BattleFleet Mars. But it can be found in resale markets.

It's a conflict between Earth and its Martian colonists. It ties in the political considerations of the effects of war on the general population and while you are battling each other in space you have to carefully manage the will of the people to continue the war.
It's not a beautiful game but a lot of effort went into creating a largely realistic approach to movement between the planets.
Great game if you can see past the age of it and the simplicity of the components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremie Miller
msg tools
I will give another vote for Quantum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Adkins
United States
Hamilton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
+1 for Alien Frontiers
Tiny Epic Galaxies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGAC California
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karst wrote:
+1 for Alien Frontiers
Tiny Epic Galaxies

That is the one I was leaning towards, but it has been out of stock at my wholesalers for weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ofiesh
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the space theme. Several correct comments above.

Hmm.

If you want miniatures and 2p, Star Wars: Rebellion
If pick up and delivery system, geographic reference is your thing choose between Merchant of Venus (warning: tiny fiddly pieces) and XIA (+ - modeled cargo ships vs cards)
If it's area control, worker placement, dice games, check out Alien Frontiers (add Outer Belt as expansion) and Roll for the Galaxy
If deck-building and hand management stand the test of time, Eminent Domain and Mission Red Planet are preferred.
Unique experience, Space Alert. You will feel like you are thrown into a mission.

What I don't want to do is suggest more titles. I have six of these and gave serious thought to the other three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Eclipse for the first time earlier this week, and enjoyed it a lot. At first it looks daunting, but after a couple of turns I was really into it. Already looking forward to playing it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGAC California
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well...Space Alert is right out. After printing and reading the rule book, and watching some plays on Youtube, it looks like a hot mess. I'll be throwing the copy I have up on EBay.

But, the other games do look promising.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We like Invasion from Outer Space: The Martian Game. Circus freaks vs. invading Martians, what's not to love?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Nicholson
United States
Gilmer
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
How about Dark Moon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
You want simple space game I see. Avoid Eclipse by all means.

I'd recommend Alien Frontiers or Quantum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kratochwill
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
I need to change this now that it's not football season.
badge
Almond crusted halibut, lemon crown, thin sliced radishes, parsley
mbmbmbmbmb
Xia: Legends of a Drift System is a great sandbox game. The designer designed it with 3-4 players in mind, but it works with 2 (and even 1), there's just less tension between the players.

He's currently working on an expansion, which will add cool new stuff, revise the rules, and even add an official solo mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a couple of general lists which might help; bearing in mind some have been out of print for some time, most are available:

Focus on Theme: Space Opera.

Focus on Theme: Science Fiction.

Of them all, I have to say Eclipse stands out as my favourite; I had a lot to say about it here:

Eclipse - New Dawn for the Gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.