Popular Tags: wargames [+] [View All]
Matt
United States
Wilton
CT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an excess of wargames covering World War II. I also have a handful of others covering various other conflicts. What is missing from my collection is anything based on the American Civil War. I need to correct this.

What are some candidates I should be looking at? Should I look for the definitive game on the American Civil War. If so, what would that be? On the other hand, should I be looking at a style of wargame that I enjoy more, such as CDG or block-based? I'm not a huge fan of hex-based anymore, though if the definitive game is this type, I would consider it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the first thing you'll want to do is explain your focus: tactical, grand-tactical, operational, or strategic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vrabel
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
madhatter wrote:

Should I look for the definitive game on the American Civil War. I

No such thing. You could no more find the definitive game on anything than you find the difinitive book on the same topic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CDG - For THe People
Fast-Playing - A House Divided
Hex-based - VGs The Civil War (OOP)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Personally I would strongly recommend VG The Civil War. Although it is oop, it is still attainable at a reasonable price. On the other hand, having a quick look at your collection, and ratings, you might prefer For the People ( http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/833 ) or possibly A House Divided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Val
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
CDG - For THe People

Exactly what I thought!
In the long run, you may see more plays of A House Divided than any other just for the ease of play and shorter playtime, although I own all of them, and I enjoy them all, too.

BTW, all of these are strategic level. For campaigns, battles, etc... I could not tell since I only have The Three Battles of Manassas. Great game, which unfortunately, I will never play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Wilton
CT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
CDG - For The People

The scale I am looking for is strategic... so Brad's recommendations sound good.

I looked at For the People (2nd Edition) and was a bit daunted. The rule book is 48 pages. I know that some of it is the designer notes and scenarios, but only a few pages are dedicated to these. I also read some complaints about the CRT and length of the game. Are these claims off-base or accurate?

I also looked at A House Divided. It is a quicker and more simple, but dissenters claim it is ahistorical. Is that an unfair charge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
It is unfortunate that not too many companies are producing any NEW "game" along the lines of those already presented, as those mentioned are just "re-makes" for most of that. There are quite a few that have something or another of which depicts some particular 'Campaign', instead of the entire WAR itself. Check some of these out then:

Forged in Fire: The 1862 Peninsula Campaign-the "Peninsula" 'Campaign'

Bobby Lee-the "Eastern" 'Campaigns'

Sam Grant-the "Western" 'Campaigns'-can be combined with "Bobby Lee"

The Gettysburg Campaign-the 2nd "Invasion of the North" 'Campaigns'

The Vicksburg Campaign-self explanatory, and to be released sometime this year, hopefully.

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diego Angelotti
Canada
Hudson
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What bothers me most about A House Divided, more than its a-historicity, is that I found it modestly re-playable. With good players I expecially found the last turns dragging on on the same track.

I love VG Civil War and For the People. In both games you feel quite an immersive atmosphere - leaders, strategies, mix of forces, maps - all contribute to make you feel you are living the spirit of that war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madhatter wrote:
I looked at For the People (2nd Edition) and was a bit daunted. The rule book is 48 pages.

So, you aren't looking for the definitive ACW game. You are looking for the definitive ACW game that isn't too complex.

I'm busting your chops a little here, but I agree with one of the comments above: there is no such thing as a definitive game on anything.

If you want strat level, shorter play time, and lower complexity, try GMT's "Blue vs Gray." It has the best historical narrative, it's fun, and there is an ACTS module you can play on line.

As for FtP, the game can go from 2 hours to about 8 hours. I have no problem with the CRT. The main knocks from folks who don't like it are the vulnerability of Washington and Richmond and the frequency and depth of CSA raids. I personally love the game, but it has a very steep learning curve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Euler
Germany
flag msg tools
This thread made me look at my strategic civil war games. I noted that I didn't have many. Aside from the "faboulous three" mentioned here, I only have a mint copy of "grand army of the republic", which I was considering to purge. And a ninety-something issue of S&T with another strategic level game of the war. Oh wait, there is FGA's "The civil war", which contains all but one ingredient for a masterpiece game.

Thats all! Hundreds of games and only 6 on the strategic ACW... Can it be that there are few truely working games to this subject?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Mickelsen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for a American Civil War game that is not too complex, you should preorder Compass Game's "Price of Freedom." It is a card driven strategic level version of the wat that promises to be playable in a few hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Mickelsen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for a American Civil War game that is not too complex, you should preorder Compass Game's "Price of Freedom." It is a card driven strategic level version of the wat that promises to be playable in a few hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of games that haven't been mentioned:

1) Columbia Games Bobby Lee and Sam Grant. Strategic block games of the Civil War. The rules are online at columbia games site, so you can check these out before you buy.

2) Forged in Fire: The 1862 Peninsula Campaign is an operational block game on the Peninsula Campaign. The rules are online at Worthington's site.

3) Battle Cry of Freedom is a strategic Civil War game played entireley with cards. The rules are also online at: http://www.dsmithworld.net/LivingRules.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Val
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mickmick wrote:

I'm impatiently waiting for this one myself!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
My preference is for VG's The Civil War. Other games have their strengths, but for combination of historicity and interesting gameplay, I don't think Eric Lee Smith's gem can be beat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Milne
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Herts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dieroll honker wrote:

If you want strat level, shorter play time, and lower complexity, try GMT's "Blue vs Gray." It has the best historical narrative, it's fun, and there is an ACTS module you can play on line.

I endorse Jon's opinion. It's very different to any of the other games, and it encapsulates the essence of the war with tremendous effectiveness. It gets a relatively poor rating here because the first (QED) edition had rules that many found difficult to understand, not helped by the fact that there's no other game quite like it. The rules published by GMT are better and can be used with the earlier game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.