Amherst
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Pi-Shu
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I know NWS appears to be monitoring this area so I am assuming that is who might see this first and hopefully could respond

I just ordered this version and the WWI version.

Anyway - My primary interest in the game is at the strategic level.

How quickly does the strategic level play? For instance when comparing Avalon Hills Sink the Bismark (70's version) vs say Avalanch Press WWII War at Sea series. Is the length similar to one or the other?

Are larger area maps planned to get even for download that covers say the entire North Atlantic like Sink the Bismark, or the Solomons campaign similar to Flat top or Midway similar to CV?

I like the scale of Sink the Bismark (Avalon Hill) and I like the blind style of play even though it relies on the honor system. The War at Sea series Bismarck game map is huge and while not really being reliant on "blind play" it sort of uses it for that particular game otherwise the strategic level uses fleets and dummy fleets (if I recall correctly).

Anyway I was just hoping for a bit more info on the strategic level part of the game and if maps were going to be more available (id say even a large generic map where land mass overlays could be placed on top of would be nice).

Thank you.

-Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NWS Wargaming Store
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked the designer, William Miller, to respond.. stay tuned. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Miller
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
David,

Hello, thank you for the questions about the 'No Safe Port' game.

The "Basic Strategic" game rules use an abstract 'range band' scale and a single game turn is 6 hours (each range band represents about 80-150 nm distance) with there being 3 range bands in all.

"Advanced Strategic" scale in the game is 20nm per hex and 1 hour per turn for the advanced game, and uses hex maps for each operation - each 11"x17" map is 24x16 hexes, so a strategic map covers 480 x 320nm (just over 150,000 square miles). It perhaps might be more appropriate to call this 'operational' scale as far as the map coverage goes (and as it is used to resolve each operation as it they come up) but since it was part of the strategic/campaign scale that word was used instead.

Below is partial basic info and sequence of play for the campaign game, which uses the strategic game rules (you can choose to use the basic or advanced campaign rules to resolve a campaign):

BASIC CAMPAIGN RULES

The campaign in NWS: NW-WW2 is in a semi-historic, free-play format. The size of the forces involved for each campaign area would make the player the equivalent of commander of a major area of each theatre, who had several task forces at his disposal. For campaign purposes, January, February, April, May, July, August, October and November are 4 weeks long, while March, June, September and December are 5 weeks long. The campaign starts the first week in the month given.

*A) Campaign Theatres:
1) South Pacific: US vs. JP
2) North Atlantic: UK vs. GE
3) Mediterranean: UK vs. IT+GE

*B) Each theatre has a set of charts for campaign generation for that theatre. Players are, of course, free to
adjust each set of charts as they see fit.

*C) The general flow of a campaign is as follows:
1) Choose which theatre to play.
2) Choose the campaign length: Short, Average, Long
3) Purchase your initial force based on the number of points provided for by the appropriate table.
4) Roll the number of Battle Sets for the particular theatre/campaign length you have chosen.
5) If both sides agree on the Battle Set location, then go to Step 6 – otherwise roll on the Battle Set Location Chart.
6) Roll on the “Number of Missions” chart for the initial number of missions in the first “Battle Set”.
7) Roll on the “Mission Type” chart for each battle.
8) Assign forces to ALL the battles that were determined in Steps 5 and 6. NOTES: No more than 70% of your total
force available may be assigned to the battles, and no more than 50% may be assigned to any single battle [The
first mission now begins, steps 9 through 11 below]
9) Roll on the Mission Intelligence Chart to determine what each side knows of the other sides force for the mission.
10) You may switch ships from the pre-allocated set for that battle, at a cost of 1/4 (round up) of the highest PV of
either ship involved in each swap in Battle Points. You can add additional ships to the battle, at a cost of 1/2
(round up) the added ships PV in Battle Points. (These swapped/added ships may be selected from any ship in
your available ship pool…)
11) Play out the first battle using the normal tactical combat system.
12) After the battle, you may repair any damaged ships from the last battle, and purchase new ships using your
allotted pool of “Battle Points” for that turn. Repairing a ship requires the same number of points as VP gained by
it being damaged, and requires a set time according to the Ship Repair Chart.
13) Repeat Steps 9 through 13 for each battle rolled in the first Battle Set.
14) If the campaign has more than one Battle Set, repeat Steps 5 through 14 for each Battle Set after the first.

*D) Each mission has a Victory Point total, which adds to the score of the side that won that mission. Each side also adds the
points for damaged or sunk enemy ships from the battle.
*************ABOVE TEXT COPYRIGHT WILLIAM MILLER/NWS**************

There are a number of optional rules which can be used (or not, your choice) with the campaign.

The basic campaign game is very quick - I have played an entire campaign in 10-12 hours, for example. The advanced campaign will take somewhat longer, but still should take no more than 14-18 hours in most cases.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bukata
United States
Amherst
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Pi-Shu
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick replies - it was very much appreciated!

I did mean to say Operational and ended up saying Strategic shake

Got the product(s) and will look it over when I get time - thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Miller
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
You are welcome, I hope you enjoy the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.