$15.00
$30.00
$5.00
Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Spyfall» Forums » General

Subject: "Carnival" card, and a question about what part of the location card matters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Hagood
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night, our group played this for the first time. (A few players had played once or twice but not most)

We had a round get tanked because we had the "Carnival" card, but the picture and the name seemed to conflict... or at least cause confusion. Basically, half the players saw the masks and said "Oh, we're at a masqurade" and half saw the name and said "Oh, we're at a carnival with corndogs and ferris wheels". I was especially confused since mine said Vendor so I RPed a popcorn stall worker. Interestingly, maybe this is just an American problem? I looked up the word and got Spanish (Spain) results for a cultural holiday, and I was only vaguely aware of this at best before today.

Anyway, needless to say, our non-spy team was confused and lost by unanimously accusing the one guy that thought we were at a fancy ball instead of a trashy amusement park and the spy didn't have to do shit.

This sparked discussion about whether the name or the picture is the key feature on a Spyfall card. What do you think? Also, should the Carnival card be renamed for American audiences?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carnival traditionally is a holiday season of parades, masquerades, circus, fairs, street parties, etc. Carnival in Venice is often associated with wearing masks. Mardi Gras here in Louisiana features masks as well. I don't remember Spyfall's picture, but I think you all gave legitimate answers. If the picture didn't show anything but masks, it just wasn't being comprehensive.

I haven't played the game in a long while because my friends fixated too much on what was literally in the picture (like asking someone, "How many people are here?" and expecting an exact answer based on the picture), so my inclination would be to go by the title, not the picture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We treat the Carnival card like, Rio or Mardi Gras. A big event with parades and masks and flashy outfits.

Amusement park is also in the game, so corndogs and cotton candy and side shows and rides all fit into that one.

When ever I introduce new players to the game, I make sure to clarify the difference between Amusement Park and Carnival to avoid any confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Hagood
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adamxpaul wrote:
Carnival traditionally is a holiday season of parades, masquerades, circus, fairs, street parties, etc. Carnival in Venice is often associated with wearing masks. Mardi Gras here in Louisiana features masks as well. I don't remember Spyfall's picture, but I think you all gave legitimate answers. If the picture didn't show anything but masks, it just wasn't being comprehensive.

I haven't played the game in a long while because my friends fixated too much on what was literally in the picture (like asking someone, "How many people are here?" and expecting an exact answer based on the picture), so my inclination would be to go by the title, not the picture.

Right, the core issue is that carnival has a dual meaning, I think. Either it's a "State fair" type event, or the Louisiana/Spanish/Venice holiday and those two thing are VERY different. Each person will default to one of the other, I think, which was our issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
When ever I introduce new players to the game, I make sure to clarify the difference between Amusement Park and Carnival to avoid any confusion.

Here in the UK, the "service station" is the one we have to clarify. To us, that means a place you fill up with fuel plus minor stuff like washer fluid. A place we take a car for repair or maintenence is a "garage".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.