9 Posts

Splendor» Forums » Variants

Subject: Epic Splendor -- For The Longest Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erwin Anciano
Philippines
flag msg tools
Some people may feel the game has only just begun when it ends as someone amasses 15 VPs.

Rules Change
1. Epic Splendor forces you to buy ALL cards.
2. The game ends when all cards in the stock have been bought.
3. Everything else play as per normal rules, ending with everyone has taken the same number of turns after the last card is bought.
4. The Winner is the player with the most VPs at the end of the game.

In my experience I've found that the optimal way to play is to muck around at Tier 1 cards, so Tier 3 cards rarely get to see play before someone has won.

This also changes the optimal strategy for winning as you are forced to think big and long term in order to amass the most VPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Roskam
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So how long does this make the game (on average)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mochana wrote:
Some people may feel the game has only just begun when it ends as someone amasses 15 VPs.

This is the best part of the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
LunaWolvesMan wrote:
Mochana wrote:

This is the best part of the game!

No it means someone has focused solely on the tier 2 cards and ended it with a tier 3 card having 7-8 cards in total almost every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jack elfrink
United States
McKees Rocks
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mochana wrote:
..... I've found that the optimal way to play is to .....

https://xkcd.com/1112/

See also

1) The only buy money cards strategy in Dominion is unstoppable. We need a house rule to offset it.

2) The corn strategy from Puerto Rico wins every time. There should be some kind of house rule to counter it.

3) In 7 Wonders science cards are overpowered and it is too easy to win with that strategy. The rules should be changed so that other players have a chance.

4) When playing Sheriff of Nottingham a player who goes for all legal goods just runs away with the victory every time. A new rule is absolutely necessary to keep the game from being broken.

5) The starvation strategy in Stone Age wins too easy. The rules for it need to be adjusted so it is not the dominate strategy every game.

I swear, one of these days Im going to see someone complaining about how Rock Paper Scissors is broken because just throwing rock every time wins easily and there needs to be a house rule to make scissors more powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mochana wrote:
In my experience I've found that the optimal way to play is to muck around at Tier 1 cards, so Tier 3 cards rarely get to see play before someone has won.

This simply isn't true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Myers

Missouri
msg tools
mb
MD1616 wrote:
Mochana wrote:

This simply isn't true.

Yeah...a Splendor AsmoPlay event at GenCon taught me that often the optimal play is to complete ignore tier 1. And Nobles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
MD1616 wrote:
Mochana wrote:

This simply isn't true.

Indeed, in the last local splendor tournament at my local game store, going for only tier 3 cards seemed to have the advantage (unless several people were doing it, than it became more tricky). 15 VP is just right to allow for multiple different strategies. Going for nobles, going for high point cards, building your engine the most efficiently, these are all good options, and all can lead to victory. If it takes more points to win, you'll likely end up with the winner being the person who was able to buy most/all of one color card from tier 1, forcing everyone else to scramble to get that color.

It's an interesting idea, and I think it's probably fun, but it definitely removes several strategies from having any chance of winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark P
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
markblasco wrote:
MD1616 wrote:
Mochana wrote:

This simply isn't true.

15 VP is just right to allow for multiple different strategies. Going for nobles, going for high point cards, building your engine the most efficiently, these are all good options, and all can lead to victory.

I agree that having as many viable strategies as possible makes the game interesting. There are ALWAYS counters to any strategy. Reserving a card (for example) is a great way to prevent someone from getting a card you know they're going after. Having multiple people taking different routes makes for good gaming and means that no one card or grouping of cards is necessarily "best" and means that not everyone will try to pursue something specific at all costs.

The "build engine" strategy makes racking up cards (and then points later) inevitable, but it wins only if other players don't complete their strategy faster (which they certainly can, and should). It's tortoise versus hare here people. The tortoise makes it eventually but time is required. The hare can get to the finish line faster but needs to be blocked, distracted, or have a leg busted in order to be thwarted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.