Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Corrupted Nuns can place corruption tokens over city actions to block them out.

1) Can these tokens be cleansed like any other corruption tokens?

2) Do these tokens affect heroes when entering and exiting the affected district?

Or, are they used solely to block off the city action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are corruption tokens and work exactly like corruption tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keene
msg tools
designer
The wording on that ability is weird. “Replace one of the city actions in that district with a corruption token”. To me that would mean that the “reward” for using the city action is now that you take a mandatory corruption, or that you have to make a corruption check every time you use that city action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Stiehl
Germany
Biebertal
Hessen
flag msg tools
What if the nun is not in the district but on the street? Does the effect even trigger (choose a tile on which the nun is standing)?

Most confusing power imho

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sousa
United States
Pembroke
Ma
flag msg tools
While the City Actions are a part of a district I don't consider them "in" the district of that makes sense. As such, I don't believe the heroes can cleanse the corruption tokens placed in the City Action spaces. I believe the hero takes one corruption for each corruption token in a given City Action area if they choose to use that City Action (and the corruption token remains). It's a good way for the Sin player to add another risk/reward element to the heroes play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always considered them part of a tile's corruption tokens.

Not being able to clear them is pretty punishing for the heroes otherwise. (since it's not always certain they will succeed in "cleansing" the district in the first place).

Still, it's a nice house rule if you want to up the difficulty level for the heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sousa
United States
Pembroke
Ma
flag msg tools
Chinkster wrote:
I've always considered them part of a tile's corruption tokens.

Not being able to clear them is pretty punishing for the heroes otherwise. (since it's not always certain they will succeed in "cleansing" the district in the first place).

Still, it's a nice house rule if you want to up the difficulty level for the heroes.

If you play them that way (assuming it means Sin gets to roll Corruption when a hero moves in/out of the space) then I would agree it should be able to be cleared as it would be quite punishing otherwise. But if it only effects heroes when they use the City Action itself it isn't that severe IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a hero must be in the same space as a corruption token, and the rules are literal, with no clarification on the Acolyte board, I would assume that the corruption token does not have area effect and cannot be cleansed. The action space is blocked. It would seem like they would trigger a check if the city action is used, but only then, IMO. Eagerly waiting clarification from the publisher or someone who demoed the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Turner
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played at Gencon and the guy demoing the game, while fun to play with, did not know the rules very well.

I've played 3 times now and this is how we did it:

1) It covers a city action space IF the nun was inside the district (not in the streets)
2) it does not cause corruption checks on a move in or out of the district
3) the corruption can be cleansed (otherwise the heroes can lose the game without being killed off since they can't complete certain missions: this seems bad)
4) It triggers a corruption check if a character takes the action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Berent
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
littlemute wrote:
I played at Gencon and the guy demoing the game, while fun to play with, did not know the rules very well.

I've played 3 times now and this is how we did it:

1) It covers a city action space IF the nun was inside the district (not in the streets)
2) it does not cause corruption checks on a move in or out of the district
3) the corruption can be cleansed (otherwise the heroes can lose the game without being killed off since they can't complete certain missions: this seems bad)
4) It triggers a corruption check if a character takes the action.

We interpreted/played it just like this, too, last night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
I think the cleanest read is that its a corruption token in the area that blocks the city icon while it's there. It's the only reading that doesn't require any implicit unique rules. It just does what it says.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
If you were only to roll a corruption check once per round on a city action use, the Nun ability would be very weak. Compare this to the Fireman with fire that has better success rate with multiple hits and can be placed in the streets.

Follow the manual:
Corruption check on a move in or out of a space with a corruption token.
Corruption can be cleansed.

Follow the board rule:
Replace one of the city action icons with a corruption token, if the nun was inside the district (not in the streets)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
If you did follow Chris Turner (littlemute)'s interpretation, change #4 to:
4) Gain one corruption if a character takes the action.
To be honest the board would say something if it was going to introduce new or change rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the rules again, and realizing that districts are the non-street spaces (e.g. buildings) and not the entire tile (duh!), I now understand why it could make sense to trigger a corruption check when moving into and out of a district, since the city action spaces are somewhat "contained" in the district. And the corruption tokens therefore could be cleansed.

That would have been, and might be, my interpretation, until a more authoritative answer is available. Not playing the nuns for awhile though, in order to avoid this issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Cleanest reading of the rules keeps things simple. No need for house rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still not personally clear on whether you just take corruption when performing the city action or if you perform a corruption check.

either way - do you still get the benefit of the city action underneath the corruption token?

As it says 'REPLACE a city action' - we took it to mean that when you take the city district action you took the two benefits and took corruption.
??????

Confuzzled on this power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
One city action icon is covered and lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
littlemute wrote:

That's been my experience with CMoN demonstrators also.

We pondered this for a small time before deciding on the simplest interpretation- that there is an additional corruption in the space which works the same as any other, and that while it is on the tile, one City Action reward is blocked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
United States
California
flag msg tools
Followup question:
The Nun effect only takes place when you summon them to fight in districts, correct? So if you summon them to a street fight, nothing happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Hann
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
AceAceBaby wrote:
littlemute wrote:

That's been my experience with CMoN demonstrators.

My experience as well, we paid to have them teach us the Others and the girl running the game really didn't know how to play. We would have done better just learning it ourselves. Really disappointing, but from the sound of it this was pretty common. Future gencons, don't waste your time signing up for their learn to play events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertastas wrote:
Followup question:
The Nun effect only takes place when you summon them to fight in districts, correct? So if you summon them to a street fight, nothing happens.

I think the nun board says something like "on the tile"? (Don't have the game with me as I'm traveling so can't check).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam K
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Official answer here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeathWarden wrote:
Official answer here

For quick reference:

Q: Corrupted Nuns can place Corruption tokens over City Actions to block them out. Do these tokens affect Heroes who enter/exit the District, or do they only affect Heroes who want to cleanse and use that City Action?

A: Corruption tokens placed over the City Action work just like a Corruption token placed on the District itself, with the only difference that they block that City Action. Corruption is rolled only when you enter or exit that District.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertastas wrote:
Followup question:

Sorry for thread necromancy but the original question isn't answered in that thread.

If you summon a nun for a street fight, where do you use her powers? Any adjacent District? Or if she's summoned for a street fight her power doesn't trigger?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.