Subject: Submerge cost rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
steffan kristensen
Denmark
Esbjerg
flag msg tools
mb
Cthulhus submerge spellbook has a cost of one power, but the description text also mentions a cost of one when Cthulhu re emerges.

I'm a little confused by this spellbook.
Does it actually cost 2 points? 1 point to submerge and another to emerge?
Is any of it an unlimited action? When you emerge does that count as you action, or can you proceed with a battle/capture/other action?

I checked the manual faq but couldnt find an answer. Sorry for spamming the rules forum. I just got the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
Submerging and un-submerging are separate actions (not unlimited), costing 1 Power each.

You can battle immediately after unsubmerging (or submerging, for that matter, just not with Cthulhu) if you have six spellbooks, which makes battles an unlimited action. Otherwise, no, unsubmerging is your action for the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steffan kristensen
Denmark
Esbjerg
flag msg tools
mb
Ok. So I got it right

I guess its mostly useful as an offensive spell once you have all 6 spellbooks. Otherwise the player you're ambushing gets a turn to react before you can strike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really useful for fast attacks with 6 spellbooks, but also good for slamming an opponent who has run out of power already and can't react, or even for sniping weakly defended gates. And since Cthulhu is cheap to revive, you can use it to get into fights you'll lose on purpose (e.g., attack a heavily guarded area to soften it up, maybe get a spellbook from devouring/killing units, and then revive Cthulhu for an Elder Sign).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
ssk0909 wrote:
Ok. So I got it right

I guess its mostly useful as an offensive spell once you have all 6 spellbooks. Otherwise the player you're ambushing gets a turn to react before you can strike.

Yes, that is true, but even without 6 spellbooks it has several uses:

A) towards the end of the round, store Cthulhu and some guys off map for an early strike next round

B) super cheap movement - you can move as many units as you want to ANY area for only 2 total power!

C) Even if they have a turn to react, by being able to choose any area, you can also go to where they will be least effective at reacting - go to a gate with no or few defenses already and they may not be able to bring things in, or at best, summon a single Monster?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Andersson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ssk0909 wrote:
Ok. So I got it right

It's still good even without 6 spellbooks. Even if they move out they just abandoned a gate and gave it to you for free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.