Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Lock 'n Load Tactical: Heroes of Normandy» Forums » General

Subject: LnL: HoN vs. CoH:AtB rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MICHAEL MCGUIRE
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which game is better and why? Please help me to purchase my first 2 player game. I'm interested in both Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! and Lock 'n Load: Heroes of Normandy. Has anyone played both and what is your preference and why?
Thank you so much for your help.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Solo Gaming Reviews and Commentary
badge
Solo Gaming Reviews and Commentary
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CommanderMcG wrote:
Which game is better and why? Please help me to purchase my first 2 player game. I'm interested in both Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! and Lock 'n Load: Heroes of Normandy. Has anyone played both and what is your preference and why?
Thank you so much for your help.


Obviously saw your thread in the CoH forum too

You might be swayed by the fact that HoN is also out of print currently.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Ferrari
United States
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a free print and play demo of Heroes of Normandy available to try it before you buy it.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/125612/lock-n-load-tactic...

You can also get a professionally printed version of it, just pay shipping and handling, which I think may come to $9 or $10.


https://store.lnlpublishing.com/index.php?route=product/prod...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heath
United States
Pueblo West
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Every one of LnLP games in the Lock 'n Load Tactical series are being printed now and will be available at once including the new Heroes of North Africa. Once this print order is complete there will be no shortages in our game line.

We also had copies at WBC but Kevin is right we sold out very fast.

David
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heath
United States
Pueblo West
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Michael,

We also have our complete v4.1 rules on BGG, along with a gamers guide, a demo walkthrough, and two free downloadable demos. You can find them at the link below.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/150005/lock-n-load-tacti...

I own both systems and play both series. COH Guadalcanal is really enjoyable.

David

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MICHAEL MCGUIRE
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha!I wanted to see if I heard anything different on the LnL page. I downloaded the print and play version of Lnl:WWII Era Demo. I'm just getting into it. Very cool system. I might just have to get both. LnL and CoH
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael, one of the great things about the LnL system is that it spans several conficts, including WWII on both fronts, Somalia, Falklands, and "what if" WWIII. Once the games are back in print, you'll be able to branch out into other eras if you like the system. I own all of the origianl LnL stuff, so I haven't seen the newer products since David took over the company, but I hear they're very nice, component wise. I have bought the newer "X-Maps" for the Vietnam game, and they're awesome.

I play mostly solo, and LnL is much easier to do that...CoH uses an action point system and cards that make it more difficult for solo play, along with hidden damage counters. Plus LnL has leaders and heroes I feel LnL is a little grittier and produces more of a narrative.

Both are great systems, but LnL has a lot more product...they just need to get it back in print (which is right around the corner, I believe). If you poke around some of the older threads in either folder, you'll see some good comparisons between the two.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Avatar
madDdog67 wrote:
Michael, one of the great things about the LnL system is that it spans several conficts, including WWII on both fronts, Somalia, Falklands, and "what if" WWIII. Once the games are back in print, you'll be able to branch out into other eras if you like the system. I own all of the origianl LnL stuff, so I haven't seen the newer products since David took over the company, but I hear they're very nice, component wise. I have bought the newer "X-Maps" for the Vietnam game, and they're awesome.

I play mostly solo, and LnL is much easier to do that...CoH uses an action point system and cards that make it more difficult for solo play, along with hidden damage counters. Plus LnL has leaders and heroes I feel LnL is a little grittier and produces more of a narrative.

Both are great systems, but LnL has a lot more product...they just need to get it back in print (which is right around the corner, I believe). If you poke around some of the older threads in either folder, you'll see some good comparisons between the two.

Bam...
Start here, then try the ?CoH.
I prefer LNL... but I am a monster fan boy. You can see lots of video and AAR on my blog that show my solid bias.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Boutilier
United States
Smyrna Mills
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play both systems. LnL gets the edge for me. LnL just flows better for me. In CoH you activate a squad (or group) and move it/them just one hex, then send it back for your opponent's impulse. It (one hex movt) seems to slow things down, for me anyway. Still a great system though. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages and I think you will just have to try both to see which one suits you better. Both are great and both are worth trying out. However, in my personal experience, LnL has provided me with better customer service. David Heath is very responsive! Plus, LnL puts vassal modules up extremely quick. There still is no CoH Awakening the Bear 2nd edition vassal module!!! LnL Heroes of Normandy had a vassal mod up and running within a month of its release. (thanks Vance). LnL plans on releasing a solo version based on the CoH solo version. I'm looking forward to that! In my opinion, try LnL tactical first.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Rigillo
Italy
Roma
Rm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played an play many Systems. ASLSK, CC, LnL and CoH...(waiting For BoB). I enjoy playing all of them (often depending on time and kind of opponent) though my favorites are ASLSK and LnL. In LnL the tactical choices are really engaging and mistakes are hardly forgiven. Very challenging! Moreover once you learn the rules you can play ALL the several theaters it offers...and HoD (early war) and moderns gives you hours of terrific games too!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Games I want to play on VASSAL: ASL, ASLSK, GMT CDG's I own
badge
Games I want to play on VASSAL: ASL, ASLSK, GMT CDG's I own
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CommanderMcG wrote:
Haha!I wanted to see if I heard anything different on the LnL page. I downloaded the print and play version of Lnl:WWII Era Demo. I'm just getting into it. Very cool system. I might just have to get both. LnL and CoH

It's not a bad idea to try several systems. Only you can decide which one you prefer, and you probably won't know before you try. Do like I did, get different systems for different theatres. I have the old Conflict of Heroes games which are all eastern front, and I got the Pacific game for Combat Commander. Therefore, I decided to get the western front (Heroes of Normandy) for Lock'n Load. I also have a Band of Brothers game (eastern front). I ended up liking ASL best and got everything for that, but that's another story.

Regarding Lock'n Load, it has (as someone has pointed out) games for other conflicts besides WWII. Like David Heath said, the North Africa game is also coming, and that's also a theatre which is not done by many other systems. I have actually considered Heroes of North Africa, since the desert rules for ASL doesn't seem to be very popular (I haven't tried them, myself). Maybe Lock'n Load will do North Africa better.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Milano
Padania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
oivind22 wrote:
I ended up liking ASL best and got everything for that, but that's another story.


ASL is likely the ultimate version of tactical games, i've tried to come into it but its too much confusing, where to start? There is a core set for it?

Still lock'n load for me is the best because of its "easy to play hard to master" rules and the modern conlict modules, the vietnam beign my loved one!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Games I want to play on VASSAL: ASL, ASLSK, GMT CDG's I own
badge
Games I want to play on VASSAL: ASL, ASLSK, GMT CDG's I own
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rydo wrote:
oivind22 wrote:
I ended up liking ASL best and got everything for that, but that's another story.


ASL is likely the ultimate version of tactical games, i've tried to come into it but its too much confusing, where to start? There is a core set for it?

Still lock'n load for me is the best because of its "easy to play hard to master" rules and the modern conlict modules, the vietnam beign my loved one!

Try ASL starter kit #1. It has only 8 pages of rules (actually 12, but there are a lot of images and examples) and 6 scenarios (a couple more can be downloaded, I think). I know from first hand experience that at least the first 2 scenarios are good. At $25 it is a bargain, and it will show you if you like ASL, at least the infantry part of it. Full ASL just gets better (but also quite expensive, of course), and is not really that much more complicated, once you know the starter kits. For vehicles it's even better. I have never played starter kits with vehicles, but I still used starter kit #3 rules to learn how to use vehicles. It has preserved a lot of the rules from full ASL, but it is presented in a way which is better for learning the game. The ASL rulebook is good once you know the basics of the game, but it's a terrible rulebook to learn the game from.

Lock'n Load is the other system I want to buy more of, because it does things ASL doesn't (Vietnam, Falklands, Somalia, etc.).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.