Subject: First campaign in progress, couple rules questions! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Sutherland
United States
Union City
Michigan
flag msg tools
Hey everyone, my group and I are currently in LY6 of our first KD campaign! We're all in love with the game and things are progressing relatively smoothly so far, but I had a couple questions that I wanted to ask in order to clear things up and avoid possible future issues.

1) When a survivor is knocked down from an Hit Location's reaction, the rulebook says that unresolved hits are cancelled (Pg. 28, top of page). So what if this situation happens in another way? Say a survivor takes 2 hits for 3 damage each as an example. If the first hit (let's just say to the arm) would knock that survivor down, does the second hit of 3 damage (example, to the chest) still resolve and do an additional 3 damage to the downed survivor or do unresolved monster attacks also get cancelled?

2) We just hunted our first Screaming Antelope in our last session. During the hunt, we got a little confused by some of it's attacks and how their targeting worked. The "Ram" card's targeting flows as:
> Furthest threat, in range
> Furthest survivor
> No target: Graze

If there's no threat in range and the target goes down to the second line which just says "furthest survivor," how is this resolved? Does the Antelope literally just pick the furthest away survivor, attempt to move towards them for an attack, then potentially fail if it doesn't move into range? Or was "in range" supposed to be written there as well? If the former, I don't see how it would ever just not have a target and graze from this card since there's always going to be a survivor that's the furthest away from it to target.

3) Another Antelope question. One of the antelope's hit locations, Restless Tiny Hands, has a failure reaction that causes the attacking survivor's weapon to be knocked away. The survivor then has to spend an action to retrieve the weapon again. If the showdown ends before said survivor has a chance to pick their weapon up, is it archived/lost forever? Does the survivor just automatically get it back after when the antelope dies and the phase ends?

4) Final question, this time for the Butcher Nemesis encounter. A level 1 butcher begins with the 4 traits in play (Berserker, Fast Target, Infectious Lunacy, and Dreaded Trophies). During the showdown, if the butcher draws a mood such as Screaming, what happens to it? On the monster control mat, there's slots for 4 moods/traits, all of which are full from the beginning traits. Does the mood just get discarded since all "slots" are already filled, or do I just set it next to them and keep in in play anyways?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saoshyant 4329 wrote:
Hey everyone, my group and I are currently in LY6 of our first KD campaign! We're all in love with the game and things are progressing relatively smoothly so far, but I had a couple questions that I wanted to ask in order to clear things up and avoid possible future issues.

1) When a survivor is knocked down from an Hit Location's reaction, the rulebook says that unresolved hits are cancelled (Pg. 28, top of page). So what if this situation happens in another way? Say a survivor takes 2 hits for 3 damage each as an example. If the first hit (let's just say to the arm) would knock that survivor down, does the second hit of 3 damage (example, to the chest) still resolve and do an additional 3 damage to the downed survivor or do unresolved monster attacks also get cancelled?

2) We just hunted our first Screaming Antelope in our last session. During the hunt, we got a little confused by some of it's attacks and how their targeting worked. The "Ram" card's targeting flows as:
> Furthest threat, in range
> Furthest survivor
> No target: Graze

If there's no threat in range and the target goes down to the second line which just says "furthest survivor," how is this resolved? Does the Antelope literally just pick the furthest away survivor, attempt to move towards them for an attack, then potentially fail if it doesn't move into range? Or was "in range" supposed to be written there as well? If the former, I don't see how it would ever just not have a target and graze from this card since there's always going to be a survivor that's the furthest away from it to target.

3) Another Antelope question. One of the antelope's hit locations, Restless Tiny Hands, has a failure reaction that causes the attacking survivor's weapon to be knocked away. The survivor then has to spend an action to retrieve the weapon again. If the showdown ends before said survivor has a chance to pick their weapon up, is it archived/lost forever? Does the survivor just automatically get it back after when the antelope dies and the phase ends?

4) Final question, this time for the Butcher Nemesis encounter. A level 1 butcher begins with the 4 traits in play (Berserker, Fast Target, Infectious Lunacy, and Dreaded Trophies). During the showdown, if the butcher draws a mood such as Screaming, what happens to it? On the monster control mat, there's slots for 4 moods/traits, all of which are full from the beginning traits. Does the mood just get discarded since all "slots" are already filled, or do I just set it next to them and keep in in play anyways?

1) Yes, the second/third/etc. hits still are resolved since it's the target of the attack being knocked down and not the attacker.

2) If all survivors are hidden, like in tall grass or something, there could be a situation in which it can't see any survivors so it would graze.

3) The weapon is not lost and the survivor gets it back.

4) I start putting them in the spots for cards on the side of the showdown board. I haven't read anything about limiting the number of moods or permanent injuries for the monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1- a little confused by the question, but you resolve all hits before you resolve their locations, which is before you resolve their injuries etc., so I'm pretty sure (if I understood the question) the answer is no, they're not, and the cancelled hits are referring to the attack getting interrupted by the counterattack.

2- IDK, I think it's future-proofing, but there are a number of cards where the instinct is listed, despite it seeming to be impossible to get to. Furthest survivor includes models out of range, not a threat, and not in field of view.

3- IIRC, it's only to be able to activate the gear, you still have it from a mechanical perspective

4- moods aren't traits, and there are those 6 other slots on the board. There's no cap even if it somehow gets like 15 persistent effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DyingTickles wrote:
2) If all survivors are hidden, like in tall grass or something, there could be a situation in which it can't see any survivors so it would graze.
There are a number of effects that make you not a threat, but there are very few that could make you not in play. Actually, I guess I answered my own question- things like

Spoiler (click to reveal)
run away and gobbled up

could result in a situation where there are no survivors in play, though it's extremely unlikely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Sutherland
United States
Union City
Michigan
flag msg tools
spiralingcadaver wrote:
1- a little confused by the question, but you resolve all hits before you resolve their locations, which is before you resolve their injuries etc., so I'm pretty sure (if I understood the question) the answer is no, they're not, and the cancelled hits are referring to the attack getting interrupted by the counterattack.

Sorry for the confusion, let me put it this way. If a survivor has multiple hits on a monster, and that monster's reaction causes the survivor to get knocked down, all unresolved hits are cancelled as stated in the rulebook. I'm wondering if this is the same if you flip spots, so to speak. So if a monster has hits on multiple locations of a survivor (such as one hit to the chest and one to the arm), and the survivor gets knocked down from the hit to the arm, is the unresolved hit to the chest cancelled or does the down survivor still get hit there as well? That's what I was asking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Onyx
msg tools
No, all hits FROM a monster's attack (including reactions) are resolved simultaneously - You don't get to pick and choose like a survivor's attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the monster doesn't hold back: the survivor is prevented from finishing. You're discarding the rest of the cards/opportunities to wound that you'd have had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.