$5.00
$15.00
$20.00
jérémy royaux
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was at the end of scenario 2.
Walking on a pier, with angry mob attacking me
after i clicked the button, the app bugged
only the menu continued to works (and no save possible)
all the other buttons became unresponsive
restarting the app didnt work either

(playing on android / high end tablet)

That's such a disappointment to see the new version didn't fix all these crashes...
This kind of problem didn't exist with 99% of boardgames. If the app crashes, you can't do anything but restart another game, it's terrible for the player I can't believe FFG didn't test that app better.
The app is also stupidly designed. If there was an auto save feature and the ability to stock several saves, this bug wouldn't destroy the game

Makes me very sad after playing 2 hours and enjoying the game very much
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
I don't disagree with your general sentiment at all but FYI the game DOES auto-save, so if you have it freeze up try crashing the App and restarting it. Don't select 'End Game' because it will delete the save. Sometimes clicking 'continue' will allow you to carry on more or less where you left off. Sometimes it will just refreeze; sometimes it won't.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jérémy royaux
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did try that and didn't solve the bug
i guess it would be solved if i could go back the the turn before the bug thought
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
High Flying Bird wrote:
I don't disagree with your general sentiment at all but FYI the game DOES auto-save, so if you have it freeze up try crashing the App and restarting it. Don't select 'End Game' because it will delete the save. Sometimes clicking 'continue' will allow you to carry on more or less where you left off. Sometimes it will just refreeze; sometimes it won't.


Once it does this the save also becomes bugged. That's been documented numerous times here in many threads. We all know how to restart an app and how auto save is supposed to work, but thank you anyway
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
blackshad wrote:
I did try that and didn't solve the bug
i guess it would be solved if i could go back the the turn before the bug thought


No it wouldn't sadly, it always freezes in that spot for me and I've tried all sorts of different thinss the turn before. The only thing I haven't done yet is kill the mob. I might try it (just inform the app they are removed)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jérémy royaux
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
good idea, i'll try that one
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same happening here on iOS, iPad Air 2, it freezes when the mob are placed on the pier and no amount of restarting the app will solve it. This is the first and last time I will purchase a boardgames that requires an app. Decent 2 I am fine with because the app is optional. I was a bit hesitant before purchasing MoM because of the app requirement and this has helped me make the decision to avoid any app reliant boardgames in future.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
steves71 wrote:
Same happening here on iOS, iPad Air 2, it freezes when the mob are placed on the pier and no amount of restarting the app will solve it.

Version 1.0.2(198)? I just downloaded it and was hoping it fixed scenario 2.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rueløkke
msg tools
I asked on FFG forum and i will ask here

Have anyone tried scenario 4. and seen whether or not it has been fixed. Someone completing the scenario that is.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert666 wrote:
Version 1.0.2(198)? I just downloaded it and was hoping it fixed scenario 2.

Yes that's the one I've just encountered the problem with. I have been avoiding scenario 2 because of the problems in all the previous updates, so this was the first time I played it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Engelbrektson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
Scenario 2 just crashed for me at the end Mob moving towards rental dock. Reloading the app just puts it in crashed state on continue, playing on PC/surface with the steam 1.02 version
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
kniknax wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:
I don't disagree with your general sentiment at all but FYI the game DOES auto-save, so if you have it freeze up try crashing the App and restarting it. Don't select 'End Game' because it will delete the save. Sometimes clicking 'continue' will allow you to carry on more or less where you left off. Sometimes it will just refreeze; sometimes it won't.


Once it does this the save also becomes bugged. That's been documented numerous times here in many threads. We all know how to restart an app and how auto save is supposed to work, but thank you anyway


Well, I'm relating personal experience. I did what I said above and I was able to continue and finish the game. So sometimes it does work and that's a fact. So I mention it as worth trying. Sadly, most often it does indeed just refreeze at the same point.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kime
United Kingdom
Brimfield
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Had the same problem this evening. Scenario 2. Mob. App 1.0.2 3rd Gen iPad.
Quit the app and reloaded the saved game. All looked OK until the mob moved again. App bugged out. Failure on after another app restart and save. Very disgusting. Two app updates and this scenario breaking bug is still prevalent.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Christensen
United States
SLC
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kimeys wrote:
Had the same problem this evening. Scenario 2. Mob. App 1.0.2 3rd Gen iPad.
Quit the app and reloaded the saved game. All looked OK until the mob moved again. App bugged out. Failure on after another app restart and save. Very disgusting. Two app updates and this scenario breaking bug is still prevalent.


Just had the same issue. Mob moving toward the docks and the app crashed. This happened on the Steam version. I installed the app today, so it's current.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
steves71 wrote:
This is the first and last time I will purchase a boardgames that requires an app. Decent 2 I am fine with because the app is optional. I was a bit hesitant before purchasing MoM because of the app requirement and this has helped me make the decision to avoid any app reliant boardgames in future.


Hypothetically speaking, let's say there's a boardgame that requires an app and it looks really good to you. Let's further say that it has been out for a few months and there has been several patches to the app and there hasn't been a crash reported for a month. Would you buy it then?

I ask because that is where MoM is going to be in a couple months if not sooner. You maybe just don't ever want to be an early adopter again, which is totally reasonable. But don't write off this game or the whole concept of app supported boardgames because of a few bugs on release.

In an ideal world, all apps would be bug-free on release. In the world we live in, that just doesn't happen. There are always bugs. I develop web apps for a living. They are way less complicated than the MoM app and they are only run on one or two browsers on our lan. I still get bugs that I have to patch no matter how long I test. Nature of the beast.

If you want a smoother experience wait a few months after release until they get it all sorted out. If your too excited and can't wait, expect it to be a little bumpy at the start.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kbieb wrote:

Hypothetically speaking, let's say there's a boardgame that requires an app and it looks really good to you. Let's further say that it has been out for a few months and there has been several patches to the app and there hasn't been a crash reported for a month. Would you buy it then?

I ask because that is where MoM is going to be in a couple months if not sooner. You maybe just don't ever want to be an early adopter again, which is totally reasonable. But don't write off this game or the whole concept of app supported boardgames because of a few bugs on release.

In an ideal world, all apps would be bug-free on release. In the world we live in, that just doesn't happen. There are always bugs. I develop web apps for a living. They are way less complicated than the MoM app and they are only run on one or two browsers on our lan. I still get bugs that I have to patch no matter how long I test. Nature of the beast.

If you want a smoother experience wait a few months after release until they get it all sorted out. If your too excited and can't wait, expect it to be a little bumpy at the start.


As I feel right now I would have to say no I would avoid any future purpose, first impressions and a tainted experience have ruined it for me. Fortunately I was playing through the scenario solo, If there had been a group of 4 of us and that had happened then that would be game night ruined. Just because an app is stable one month doesn't mean that it won't break again with future updates, I've seen that happen before many times.

I was sceptical about an app reliant boardgames before making this purchase and the one thing that changed my mind was when I thought back to the game Dark Tower that I used to play as a kid. That was basically a computer in a tower that acted as the games overlord/keeper. That worked from day one, never failed and still works today. If with future games they choose to do it how they did with descent and have the app optional, or even release a POD expansion with all the cards for a human keeper etc. I'd be fine with that, but I won't purchase a game in future that can't be played without an app.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy B
United Kingdom
Mold
Clwyd
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kbieb wrote:
steves71 wrote:
This is the first and last time I will purchase a boardgames that requires an app. Decent 2 I am fine with because the app is optional. I was a bit hesitant before purchasing MoM because of the app requirement and this has helped me make the decision to avoid any app reliant boardgames in future.


Hypothetically speaking, let's say there's a boardgame that requires an app and it looks really good to you. Let's further say that it has been out for a few months and there has been several patches to the app and there hasn't been a crash reported for a month. Would you buy it then?

I ask because that is where MoM is going to be in a couple months if not sooner. You maybe just don't ever want to be an early adopter again, which is totally reasonable. But don't write off this game or the whole concept of app supported boardgames because of a few bugs on release.

In an ideal world, all apps would be bug-free on release. In the world we live in, that just doesn't happen. There are always bugs. I develop web apps for a living. They are way less complicated than the MoM app and they are only run on one or two browsers on our lan. I still get bugs that I have to patch no matter how long I test. Nature of the beast.

If you want a smoother experience wait a few months after release until they get it all sorted out. If your too excited and can't wait, expect it to be a little bumpy at the start.


I couldn't agree more with this sentiment. We have all seen games with broken rules.....the original MoM is a prime example of a hot mess! Updating a game with broken rules is very hard and invariably requires a complete reissue. With the app driven game, we wait a few days and get an update for the app and hey presto! Fixed game for one and all.

It's real simple, haters gotta hate, lovers gotta love. An app driven game is like marmite (best google that for those who don't know). Try it and see if you enjoy it, but please, don't come with your diatribe of hate to the forums. We love gaming, in all its forms, so be thankful that technology now means that we can fix those terribly broken games in days....not years!
cool
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Furey wrote:
but please, don't come with your diatribe of hate to the forums. We love gaming, in all its forms, so be thankful that technology now means that we can fix those terribly broken games in days....not years!
cool


What diatribe of hate? I stated that after this bad experience I would never purchase an app reliant boardgames again, where's the hate in that.

You talk about fixing a broken game in days instead of years. How about when we could fix it in minutes.
The keeper moves the mob onto the pier and looks at his cards, then looks at the scenario, "that's it, nothing happens, they don't move or attack, the investigators don't get a turn, it must be game over, we might as well pack up. Or I would move them two spaces towards the nearest investigator and carry on" That's how we used to fix a broken game, those days are gone. OK so all that was maybe a little hateful, but I'm still issed off from my bad experience.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't bought MOM2 so I've got no horse in this race but generally speaking I'm ok with apps in games. I wouldn't want them to become the norm but the odd app is fine. I've got Xcom and it's good.

However, if I got a bunch of my mates over to play a game and it crashed with no way of recovery, thereby rendering the last couple of hours of gaming a complete waste of time, I'd have a hell of a job to convince my group to get together and give it another go. What a waste of £100!

If, as all the app creators in this thread are suggesting, it's pretty much impossible to get an app like this to work out without a load of bugs then perhaps I'm not so keen on apps in games afterall.

Having said that, I don't remember seeing a bunch of threads for app crashes with Xcom, Descent Road to Legend or Alchemists.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
panzer-attack wrote:
I haven't bought MOM2 so I've got no horse in this race but generally speaking I'm ok with apps in games. I wouldn't want them to become the norm but the odd app is fine. I've got Xcom and it's good.

However, if I got a bunch of my mates over to play a game and it crashed with no way of recovery, thereby rendering the last couple of hours of gaming a complete waste of time, I'd have a hell of a job to convince my group to get together and give it another go. What a waste of £100!

If, as all the app creators in this thread are suggesting, it's pretty much impossible to get an app like this to work out without a load of bugs then perhaps I'm not so keen on apps in games afterall.

Having said that, I don't remember seeing a bunch of threads for app crashes with Xcom, Descent Road to Legend or Alchemists.


Well, X-COM is on version 1.1.3 and RtL is on 1.1.6. Some of those have been content additions but some have been bug fixes, so they weren't prefect either. But your point is still a valid one, there were bugs in those but not game-breaking ones which is a big difference. In that respect, I admit the MoM bugs are harder to forgive.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
steves71 wrote:
Furey wrote:
but please, don't come with your diatribe of hate to the forums. We love gaming, in all its forms, so be thankful that technology now means that we can fix those terribly broken games in days....not years!
cool


What diatribe of hate? I stated that after this bad experience I would never purchase an app reliant boardgames again, where's the hate in that.

You talk about fixing a broken game in days instead of years. How about when we could fix it in minutes.
The keeper moves the mob onto the pier and looks at his cards, then looks at the scenario, "that's it, nothing happens, they don't move or attack, the investigators don't get a turn, it must be game over, we might as well pack up. Or I would move them two spaces towards the nearest investigator and carry on" That's how we used to fix a broken game, those days are gone. OK so all that was maybe a little hateful, but I'm still issed off from my bad experience.


For what it's worth, I didn't feel like you were hating. You were just venting about a frustrating experience you had. This should be a safe place to do that since we are all fellow gamers.

I just hope for your sake that you reconsider your position once the sting wears off because I suspect we are going to see a lot more of this and I think the we have barely begun to scratch the surface of what is possible. I believe we are going to see some pretty amazing stuff in the future. VR is going to totally blur the lines between boardgames and videogames.

But hey, even if you don't change your mind, I'm sure there will be plenty of new games that don't require an app.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kbieb wrote:
steves71 wrote:
Furey wrote:
but please, don't come with your diatribe of hate to the forums. We love gaming, in all its forms, so be thankful that technology now means that we can fix those terribly broken games in days....not years!
cool


What diatribe of hate? I stated that after this bad experience I would never purchase an app reliant boardgames again, where's the hate in that.

You talk about fixing a broken game in days instead of years. How about when we could fix it in minutes.
The keeper moves the mob onto the pier and looks at his cards, then looks at the scenario, "that's it, nothing happens, they don't move or attack, the investigators don't get a turn, it must be game over, we might as well pack up. Or I would move them two spaces towards the nearest investigator and carry on" That's how we used to fix a broken game, those days are gone. OK so all that was maybe a little hateful, but I'm still issed off from my bad experience.


For what it's worth, I didn't feel like you were hating. You were just venting about a frustrating experience you had. This should be a safe place to do that since we are all fellow gamers.

I just hope for your sake that you reconsider your position once the sting wears off because I suspect we are going to see a lot more of this and I think the we have barely begun to scratch the surface of what is possible. I believe we are going to see some pretty amazing stuff in the future. VR is going to totally blur the lines between boardgames and videogames.

But hey, even if you don't change your mind, I'm sure there will be plenty of new games that don't require an app.


Thanks, and my last reply was in no way directed at anything you had said. I know some people hate apps in games full stop and will not play them and don't thing they belong there. My only experience with an app done right (my view of an app integrating well) s Decent Road to Legend, that works really well and I thoroughly enjoy playing Descent that way when no one wants to be an overlord or to play solo, and I'm looking forward to the app they bring out for Imperial Assault next year. So I'm still happy to try games which utilise an app, I will just be very reluctant to purchase an app reliant one again. But hey there's plenty time between now and the next game release for me to change my mind
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy B
United Kingdom
Mold
Clwyd
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
steves71 wrote:
kbieb wrote:
steves71 wrote:
Furey wrote:
but please, don't come with your diatribe of hate to the forums. We love gaming, in all its forms, so be thankful that technology now means that we can fix those terribly broken games in days....not years!
cool


What diatribe of hate? I stated that after this bad experience I would never purchase an app reliant boardgames again, where's the hate in that.

You talk about fixing a broken game in days instead of years. How about when we could fix it in minutes.
The keeper moves the mob onto the pier and looks at his cards, then looks at the scenario, "that's it, nothing happens, they don't move or attack, the investigators don't get a turn, it must be game over, we might as well pack up. Or I would move them two spaces towards the nearest investigator and carry on" That's how we used to fix a broken game, those days are gone. OK so all that was maybe a little hateful, but I'm still issed off from my bad experience.


For what it's worth, I didn't feel like you were hating. You were just venting about a frustrating experience you had. This should be a safe place to do that since we are all fellow gamers.

I just hope for your sake that you reconsider your position once the sting wears off because I suspect we are going to see a lot more of this and I think the we have barely begun to scratch the surface of what is possible. I believe we are going to see some pretty amazing stuff in the future. VR is going to totally blur the lines between boardgames and videogames.

But hey, even if you don't change your mind, I'm sure there will be plenty of new games that don't require an app.


Thanks, and my last reply was in no way directed at anything you had said. I know some people hate apps in games full stop and will not play them and don't thing they belong there. My only experience with an app done right (my view of an app integrating well) s Decent Road to Legend, that works really well and I thoroughly enjoy playing Descent that way when no one wants to be an overlord or to play solo, and I'm looking forward to the app they bring out for Imperial Assault next year. So I'm still happy to try games which utilise an app, I will just be very reluctant to purchase an app reliant one again. But hey there's plenty time between now and the next game release for me to change my mind


My apologies to you, as "diatribe of hate" was a little on the strong side for your statement of frustration. I didn't mean to offend.

I hope that people can find a space in their collection for App inclusive games, but if not, as was already stated, there are enough games for us all to enjoy, regardless of our stance on it!

Again, my apologies to you, our community is one of helpful advice and opinion and I do feel I overstepped the mark

Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.