Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
In the "Bushwacked" episode deck is an Alliance Enemy called Commander Harken.

He has an Ongoing ability of "River and Simon can't fight Commander Harken"

Does this mean that players can't use River or Simon cards to attack Harken, or that players whose Avatar is Simon or River cannot attack him on their turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically I would have to go with the main characters. I haven't seen any cards that stop you from using supporting character cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
I understand the game design mechanic of dividing the crew into "main characters" and "supporting characters" in the aspect of determining how the character deck and Talent/Flaw characteristics, but haven't quite figured out what that is supposed to mean thematically.

Also, I'm wondering if it would unbalance gameplay to try a Variant where a particular character could be chosen as both a player avatar and have that character's mini-deck included in the character deck. That opens up more gameplay variety, but would also mean that some characters wouldn't be involved at all in that session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
I understand the game design mechanic of dividing the crew into "main characters" and "supporting characters" in the aspect of determining how the character deck and Talent/Flaw characteristics, but haven't quite figured out what that is supposed to mean thematically.

Also, I'm wondering if it would unbalance gameplay to try a Variant where a particular character could be chosen as both a player avatar and have that character's mini-deck included in the character deck. That opens up more gameplay variety, but would also mean that some characters wouldn't be involved at all in that session.

I've already housed mine, as I hate the variety and fiddly set ups of the legendary games. I play with all 9 characters cards in the buy deck (1 rare, 2 uncommon, 4 common). We play with no extra main characters (it's seriously a balancing thing, they managed to screw up. If you have less characters, you can get your deck running better faster, so why reward them with more main characters?). Whenever a card comes up of a main character, it goes in front of them as their own personal buy area (end of an episode still wipes them).

This makes the characters more unique and themed. Plenty of variety in the main deck. And fixes their main character fix that unbalances the game (baffling).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
I've already housed mine, as I hate the variety and fiddly set ups of the legendary games. I play with all 9 characters cards in the buy deck (1 rare, 2 uncommon, 4 common). We play with no extra main characters (it's seriously a balancing thing, they managed to screw up. If you have less characters, you can get your deck running better faster, so why reward them with more main characters?). Whenever a card comes up of a main character, it goes in front of them as their own personal buy area (end of an episode still wipes them).

This makes the characters more unique and themed. Plenty of variety in the main deck. And fixes their main character fix that unbalances the game (baffling).

So you're removing 1 of each of the uncommons (there is usually 3 in each minideck) and I'm guessing you removed 3 of each of the commons (there are usually 5 of each of the two common cards in each minideck)?

And you're saying that when a Main Character's cards appear on the Bridge, you remove them to that player's private buy area (let's call it their crew quarters)?

And you say you don't use any extra (non-player) MCs, so that in a game with fewer players (or hands if going solo multi-hand), there are less of the uncommon "if _____ is a main character" bonuses that get triggered? (that would provide balance, since the fewer the players, the quicker the player decks gain strength, which makes smaller games generally easier than 5-player games)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. Still undecided if taking the common or uncommon is a good idea though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sesta
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:

Does this mean that players can't use River or Simon cards to attack Harken, or that players whose Avatar is Simon or River cannot attack him on their turn?

In case you hadn't found your answer yet on page 19 under Referring to Crew Members by Name, it says effects that refer to specific crew members only check main characters. Thus your Simon and River support cards can still be used as normal. This only affects players who's Avatar is Simon or River as you mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Mandel
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jsesta84 wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:

In case you hadn't found your answer yet on page 19 under Referring to Crew Members by Name, it says effects that refer to specific crew members only check main characters. Thus your Simon and River support cards can still be used as normal. This only affects players who's Avatar is Simon or River as you mentioned.

Just want to confirm that the above is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thematically, I understand that restriction on the card. Harken is searching for the fugitive Tam siblings, and they can't fight him because they are hiding from him. But I don't understand how he could strike them if they are hidden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Mandel
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
Thematically, I understand that restriction on the card. Harken is searching for the fugitive Tam siblings, and they can't fight him because they are hiding from him. But I don't understand how he could strike them if they are hidden.

We felt we could get the flavor across of River and Simon trying to avoid Harken with the "can't fight him" part. And we felt if he couldn't strike them it might feel too safe for them gameplay-wise which (like many mechanics) was a judgment call.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sesta
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:

Maybe think of it this way. In the episode the Tam's hid in spacesuits outside of serenity while Harken's troops overturned the ship looking for them. the could have been hurt any number of ways while scrambling to hide. Best I could do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dannym77 wrote:
We felt we could get the flavor across of River and Simon trying to avoid Harken with the "can't fight him" part. And we felt if he couldn't strike them it might feel too safe for them gameplay-wise which (like many mechanics) was a judgment call.

Makes sense. I just imagine playing a solo game with Simon or River as the player avatar (or a 2-player game with both Simon and River as players), heading into that episode, and Harken being one of the first enemies out of the gate, and there being no way to get rid of him (I suppose if Mal is a supporting character, you could still use "My Kind of Party" since that defeats an enemy without technically "fighting", but the chances of that one card having come out, and a player being able to scrape up 9 recruit early on in the A episode isn't too likely).

Of course, once players gain familiarity with the episode decks (or read this forum), they'll know not to play that particular episode without at least one non-Tam player character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
Also, thank you Mr. Mandel for your work on the game,
and for taking the time to stop by these forums to help clarify rules questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Mandel
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
Also, thank you Mr. Mandel for your work on the game,
and for taking the time to stop by these forums to help clarify rules questions.

It's my pleasure. And your questions are great -- they help us learn and improve on ways to make things clearer or more fun. So thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.