Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron Ginther
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone who has played a bit....

Does there appear to be a chance for a runaway overall winner early enough that it may be hard to play the latter games if 4 other people feel that they cannot win in the end?

Not a problem or concern in PL, since its co-op.

Waiting for the game to come out retail and just had this question.

Thanks,

Ron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
59 4 76(!!) 14 7 52
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only if the other four people refuse to do anything about it. This isn't coop, but it isn't multiplayer solitaire, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
Additionally, there are some catch-up mechanics involved, detailed in the manual.

These mostly boil down to the winner of one game going last in turn order the following game and the added restriction of keeping an advisor only of lower cost than the rest.

Rob and his crew seem to have playtested this extensively, so I wouldn't be too worried.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
rjginther wrote:
For anyone who has played a bit....

Does there appear to be a chance for a runaway overall winner early enough that it may be hard to play the latter games if 4 other people feel that they cannot win in the end?

Not a problem or concern in PL, since its co-op.

Waiting for the game to come out retail and just had this question.

Thanks,

Ron

It's difficult to answer this question to the degree that you want without spoiling anything. I will say this, and hope it's enough for folks - we worked extensively to make sure that runaway leader issues were curbed, in ways that we think players will find rewarding, satisfying, and surprising.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard that one of the legacy unlocks is a box of matches and some accelerant; any time a player wins more than three games in a row you burn his house down. In playtesting, the leader tended to win less consistently after that unlock.

Of course, that could just be a rumor; I don't know...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think we have a clue as to what one of the later catch-up mechanisms may be. It's in the rulebook but since it's easy to overlook, I will tag it as a spoiler. But I don't have any inside information (other than inside the rulebook)

Spoiler (click to reveal)
From page 5:
Quote:
Have each player follow the instructions on their Title card and gain bonuses if applicable. (There are no bonuses on the title cards you have at the start of the campaign.)

The logical inference is that one (or more?) of the sealed chests contains title cards that replace the ones we start with, and the bonuses are another catch-up mechanism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Haag
United States
Hamburg
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
I think we have a clue as to what one of the later catch-up mechanisms may be. It's in the rulebook but since it's easy to overlook, I will tag it as a spoiler. But I don't have any inside information (other than inside the rulebook)

From page 5:
Quote:
Have each player follow the instructions on their Title card and gain bonuses if applicable. (There are no bonuses on the title cards you have at the start of the campaign.)

The logical inference is that one (or more?) of the sealed chests contains title cards that replace the ones we start with, and the bonuses are another catch-up mechanism.

Not really a spoiler, but a response to the other spoiler-tagged item:
I don't think there will be replacements for the title cards, although there may be hidden stickers that allow you to upgrade the cards already there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
EdHaag wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:

From page 5:
Quote:

Not really a spoiler, but a response to the other spoiler-tagged item:
I don't think there will be replacements for the title cards, although there may be hidden stickers that allow you to upgrade the cards already there.

Also possible

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.