Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Geraghty
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/12/a-horro...

$49.95 for each of the tile collections.

The Recurring Nightmares Figure and Tile Collection contains all the monster miniatures, investigator figures, and map tiles from the Mansions of Madness First Edition core game:
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/mansions-of-m...

Suppressed Memories contains those from the Call of the Wild and Forbidden Alchemy expansions:
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/mansions-of-m...

Also, they're finishing the Arkham Horror Premium Figures Line!
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/arkham-horror...

Expand your Mansions of Madness Second Edition game this fall with two Figure and Tile Collections and four brand new Arkham Horror premium monster figures. All six of these products will deepen your experience in Arkham, whether by reintroducing First Edition monsters and investigators to your Second Edition game, gaining access to alternate scenario maps, or substituting in detailed, pre-painted miniatures.

The Recurring Nightmares Figure and Tile Collection contains all the monster miniatures, investigator figures, and map tiles from the Mansions of Madness First Edition core game, and Suppressed Memories contains those from the Call of the Wild and Forbidden Alchemy expansions. Combined with the Mansions of Madness Second Edition Conversion Kit, each of these Figure and Tile Collections will give players access to a brand new scenario, which will focus on the monsters and characters from that collection. If you already have the First Edition components, no need to pick up the Collections. You can use your existing pieces to play the new scenarios when they release this fall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
It's fantastic, even the latest additions to the premium figure collection are as terrible as the previous minis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Geraghty
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This was inevitable:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At that price, his arm's going to get tired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this another print run of the older figure set or are these new molds?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NasosP wrote:
Is this another print run of the older figure set or are these new molds?

they look the same as previous, which I'm fine with. If they are going to look less than FFG's usual standard, at least they are that across the board. As a 1st ed owner, my OCD would be on edge if the minis were different quality
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's up with the pricing, has Games Workshop taken over FFG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:
What's up with the pricing, has Games Workshop taken over FFG?

No, Asmodee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Texas / Tennessee
flag msg tools
When you gain this card from the deck, gain 2 Clues. ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait... So Recurring Nightmares contains the (remaining) tiles & figures from 1st edition core box for US$50? (1st ed core was $80 MSRP.) Suppressed memories contains stuff from the expansions for another $50? (Expansions were $95 MSRP.)

That's $90 for both 2nd edition expansions, instead of all 3 1st edition boxes previously totaling $175 MSRP.

Is that correct? (Do Asmodée stockholders realize this? )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
I wonder if there will be more scenarios in future using the 1st edition material as their base (ie not playable with only 2nd edition base) or if this will be our lot. There's so much scope for scenarios using those tiles.

The Recurring Nightmares cemetery setting is well thought-out to use those tiles: Graveyard, Chapel, Tool Shed and out buildings, and the underground ones inc. Crypt.

And Suppressed Memories is obviously an outdoor setting using the Dunwich Horror.

I have a killer idea for each tile set. It's a shame there's no scope for fan content in this game (IMO they will never make the code available to the public, at least not while the game is commercially viable).

arkhamnative wrote:
Wait... So Recurring Nightmares contains the (remaining) tiles & figures from 1st edition core box for US$50? (1st ed core was $80 MSRP.) Suppressed memories contains stuff from the expansions for another $50? (Expansions were $95 MSRP.)

That's $90 for both 2nd edition expansions, instead of all 3 1st edition boxes previously totaling $175 MSRP.

Is that correct? (Do Asmodée stockholders realize this? )

Only tiles and figures. Remember, there were a LOT of cards and other cardboard components in 1st edition.

But you know what pricing apologists here always say: you're not just paying for components but design, artwork etc... except here all of that was done years ago... it's almost like that explanation (justification) is total rubbish and they just charge *gasp* what people are willing to pay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
High Flying Bird wrote:

Only tiles and figures. Remember, there were a LOT of cards and other cardboard components in 1st edition.

Bunch of cards and tokens sure, but the minis and tiles made up by far the majority - the tiles especially were 90% or so of the punch boards. They're actually surprisingly cheap for that many minis (when you look at what FFG tend to charge for minis). To be honest, I didn't think that we'd get all the tiles re-done (some are going to be redundant). It's cheap enough I wonder if they found a whole ton of unused minis lying around destined for future printings of 1E that will no longer happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
tkpope wrote:
Also, they're finishing the Arkham Horror Premium Figures Line!
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/arkham-horror...

Expand your Mansions of Madness Second Edition game this fall with two Figure and Tile Collections and four brand new Arkham Horror premium monster figures. All six of these products will deepen your experience in Arkham, whether by reintroducing First Edition monsters and investigators to your Second Edition game, gaining access to alternate scenario maps, or substituting in detailed, pre-painted miniatures.

The Recurring Nightmares Figure and Tile Collection contains all the monster miniatures, investigator figures, and map tiles from the Mansions of Madness First Edition core game, and Suppressed Memories contains those from the Call of the Wild and Forbidden Alchemy expansions. Combined with the Mansions of Madness Second Edition Conversion Kit, each of these Figure and Tile Collections will give players access to a brand new scenario, which will focus on the monsters and characters from that collection. If you already have the First Edition components, no need to pick up the Collections. You can use your existing pieces to play the new scenarios when they release this fall.

It would be nice to know if they're going to offer pre-painted minis of the new investigators. Also, are they finally going to re-stock all out-of-stock existing pre-painted minis.

This news item seems incomplete. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
High Flying Bird wrote:

Bunch of cards and tokens sure, but the minis and tiles made up by far the majority - the tiles especially were 90% or so of the punch boards. They're actually surprisingly cheap for that many minis (when you look at what FFG tend to charge for minis). To be honest, I didn't think that we'd get all the tiles re-done (some are going to be redundant). It's cheap enough I wonder if they found a whole ton of unused minis lying around destined for future printings of 1E that will no longer happen.

I expressed it somewhat snarkily but I think the reason is pretty much what I said:

They have production costs only on all of it. It's basically another print run of existing product, nothing designed from scratch.

No card or chits. Don't underestimate what that adds to the price.

They may 'only' cost $50 each but in reality people buying them have just forked out $100 (at MRSP) for the 2nd edition base game. In essence if you get it all you've jut bought a $200 game, half of which is reprinted material. Pretty nice business for FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
High Flying Bird wrote:

They may 'only' cost $50 each but in reality people buying them have just forked out $100 (at MRSP) for the 2nd edition base game. In essence if you get it all you've jut bought a $200 game, half of which is reprinted material. Pretty nice business for FFG.

Yup, but given the complaints about price, I do wonder if they'd have been better doing the base 2E box at $80 or $85 and these at $70. Would have stopped all the "bang for buck" arguments.

(Though obviously we'll never see FFG's accounts I do wonder if the development work on the conversion kit is actually offset against these products rather than the base box).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
I wonder if there will be more scenarios in future using the 1st edition material as their base (ie not playable with only 2nd edition base) or if this will be our lot. There's so much scope for scenarios using those tiles.

They announced at GenCon that they would be releasing 2 more scenarios this fall when these expansions for 1e components release. I thought I read they were geared more towards 1e stuff (which would make sense to release them with the 1e expansions) but I could be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
People would complain no matter what the price is.

Of course they are going to make more scenarios. Likely they'll be free to incentivize people to buy the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One important detail about the new scenario for 1E owners:

Quote:
The Suppressed Memories scenario is based on the collection’s Call of the Wild content, meaning those with the original Call of the Wild expansion will be able to play as well. Adding the Forbidden Alchemy expansion as well, however, will increase the number of scenario variants available to you.

So if you have base+CotW and not FA, you lucked out and can still play both of the new scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GregF wrote:
One important detail about the new scenario for 1E owners:

Quote:
The Suppressed Memories scenario is based on the collection’s Call of the Wild content, meaning those with the original Call of the Wild expansion will be able to play as well. Adding the Forbidden Alchemy expansion as well, however, will increase the number of scenario variants available to you.

So if you have base+CotW and not FA, you lucked out and can still play both of the new scenarios.

Thank goodness for that. Totally skipped on FA since it had pretty meh reviews. Not going to buy suppressed memory (or forbidden alchemy) at full price just to get a few investigators and map tiles (its very few).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugliest Star-Spawn painted miniature I've ever seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Fatesadvent wrote:
Thank goodness for that. Totally skipped on FA since it had pretty meh reviews. Not going to buy suppressed memory (or forbidden alchemy) at full price just to get a few investigators and map tiles (its very few).

This is more or less what I was afraid of. Future scenarios will probably be free but playable only in combination with "expansions". In this case you pay a considerable amount of money for very limited variability (since the real variability is in the scenario of which you get only one).

Why would I spend that amount of money to play 1 extra scenario? Which will probably be broken anyway until enough people have "payed to play beta" to have it rectified?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Eye
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Pisses me off, that old investigator miniatures come with black bases, while new investigators are all grey. Propbably will ditch all the ugly 2nd edition investigators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those "premium" figures might just win a painting competition if it involves being blindfolded (entrants or judges, preferably both).
My eyes!!!

I think there's too much stuff in each box for only 1 new scenario (+ minor variations on core set). So $50 each is a bit cheeky unless they have more (free) scenarios in the works to take advantage of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Edwards
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan Tuijp wrote:
This is more or less what I was afraid of. Future scenarios will probably be free but playable only in combination with "expansions". In this case you pay a considerable amount of money for very limited variability (since the real variability is in the scenario of which you get only one).

That's a big assumption you're making. Yes, the two new scenarios are designed to use the content in the expansions, but that doesn't imply that all future expansions will be 'playable only in combination with "expansions"'. [My emphasis.]

How terrible of FFG to reward people who invest in the expansions with scenarios that use the materials therein. Imagine the complaints if people buy an expansion but it is actually irrelevant because the scenario doesn't really need to use it. They can't win, can they?

I fully expect there to be new scenarios that, like the base game ones, don't need any expansions to play. I also look forward to future expansions that add new tiles and monsters, extending the game into new realms to bring us previously untellable stories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
Yet while exulting in solitude I became aware of a strange lack. I wished a companion to lie near in the starlight, silent, unmoving, but within touch. For there's fellowship more quiet than solitude, and rightly understood is solitude made perfect.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
[ ... ]
I also look forward to future expansions that add new tiles and monsters, extending the game into new realms to bring us previously untellable stories.

Agreed. They could release a set of tiles for the world glimpsed in The Dreams in the Witch House or for the Dreamlands tales, or even R'lyeh. There are lots of places they could go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

cloud64 wrote:
Jan Tuijp wrote:

That's a big assumption you're making. Yes, the two new scenarios are designed to use the content in the expansions, but that doesn't imply that all future expansions will be 'playable only in combination with "expansions"'. [My emphasis.]

That's why I used the word "probably".

Quote:
How terrible of FFG to reward people who invest in the expansions with scenarios that use the materials therein. Imagine the complaints if people buy an expansion but it is actually irrelevant because the scenario doesn't really need to use it. They can't win, can they?

That's not what I said. What I did say was that for me 1 scenario won't justify an expensive expansion.

Quote:
I fully expect there to be new scenarios that, like the base game ones, don't need any expansions to play.

I do not. It doesn't take a genius to predict the business model on this one. Selling scenario's is difficult and the distribution can and probably will be hacked so it's much easier to distribute them freely. Selling expansions is simple and lucrative. So I do not share your expectations. Time will tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.