Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the manual, strongpoints with the tank symbol get a +1 to their success number, and those with an infantry symbol get a -1. What happens with fire against them? By the rules as written, I believe they should all be treated as infantry-class units for enemy fire. For example, a veteran armored unit attacking a veteran tank-type strongpoint would have a +1 net success number. Is that correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had this confusion slightly from the playbook examples. I think the -1 in the playbook is based on the fact that strongpoints count as infantry behind field works for to hit. Could be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gustavsson
Sweden
Bjästa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve, that is correct! -1 if a Strongpoint is target!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And there it was on the chart all along. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt way
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been quite confusing, probably because on the chart it looks like the +1/-1 values are really for Offensive firing, while for Defensive modifier it seems to be a flat -1 value. Not to mention the rulebook talks about treating them like field works. Which can get you mixed up in the Target Point Unit modifiers (2 lines above the vague Strongpoint values on the chart).
I had to keep reminding myself that Strongpoints are treated as a 3rd class of unit (neither Armor class or Infantry class).
Would have been nice if they listed Strongpoint in the TPU chart as they did in the Artilery fire Tables(since that is essentially the Class specific Defensive modifier).

I also noticed under the Combat Results table, Exploitation at night should be SN - 2 (not SN+2) per the rulebook.

I am also frequently confused with the River Assault references, which at times seems to be a generic marker for all assaults (River, Air, Crossing) and at times stands for the literal River Assault situation.

Poliorcetes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So as far as strongpoints - I think the modifiers are as follows:
-1 SN to all fire (ground or artillery) against strongpoints.
-1 SN to strongpoints's fire if it shows rifle symbol
+1 SN to strongpoints's fire if it shows tank symbol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gustavsson
Sweden
Bjästa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct Sam!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Aradan
France
ASSAS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This all makes sense, and the Aid Chart was not totally clear.
But the confusion also comes from the example of play which seems to be wrong, and not consistent with Michael's reply.

Playbook Page 16, case F, 1st bullet (61st Infantry attack in Tel Saki):

61st Infantry has -1 (firing unit conducting a crossing assault) +1 (target's point unit is an armor-supported strongpoint) and -1 (veteran firing on elite) for a net SN of 5-1+1-1=4...

Shouldn't the 2nd modifier be:
-1 (target is a Strongpoint)... for a net SN of 5-1-1-1=2?
Fortunately, the result is the same... 1 hit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.