Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luiz Mendes
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Borrowing the idea from Ascension, I'm playing with the Contractors and Managers always available in side piles, similar to the Mystic and Heavy Infantry cards. This mitigates when you have an overly expensive labour role on the beginning, also give more options to the players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gnade
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you invest poorly your first few turns - the top row should never get clogged with expensive cards. I personally prefer not having always available, but this is certainly a variant that should work for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mgnade wrote:
Unless you invest poorly your first few turns - the top row should never get clogged with expensive cards. I personally prefer not having always available, but this is certainly a variant that should work for the game.

We've seen it clogged from the start with expensive cards, with only one space being 4 labor or less. That game ran long because the initial card ramp up was quite slow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ongchangco
United States
California
flag msg tools
This was absolutely the first change I made. There is So many of them that you don't get to see cool cards and there's plenty of turns where you feel like you don't spend efficiently. Having both a 3 labor option and a 2 Labor option avaliable at all times makes the ramping start much faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Payawal
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alternative suggestion: What about having only some of them available on the side...say, just 2-3 cards per player of each type, with the rest remaining in the Employee deck as normal? It would still allow a path for a fast ramp-up, without disrupting the Employee deck by too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Gaidos
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Much like @mgnade, I actually like having them mixed in from the start because I don't see as many of the more powerful cards each game. Adds to the replay ability for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LGMHorus wrote:
Borrowing the idea from Ascension, I'm playing with the Contractors and Managers always available in side piles, similar to the Mystic and Heavy Infantry cards. This mitigates when you have an overly expensive labour role on the beginning, also give more options to the players.

I did this too, and I find I like it as it also lets people who can't get enough Labor or Construction generation early on from being shut out of buying expensive cards later in the game. We never bought many of them, but everyone usually invested in at least 1 or 2 of each card and that really helped get bigger resource engines going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.