Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
wendigo song
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw the new expansion coming out and to be honest I am not very excited about it. It seems like it is offering more rules and new mechanics when all it really should do in my opinion is just give us more of what we have. This is a case of if it ain't broke then don't fix it.

However, with that said adding some new cards or wonders just for variety would be welcome. Some of the things I'd want are more progress tokens. I like the ones they have already, I just think that some different/new ones would be interesting. If I could pick I'd choose engineering, astronomy, plumbing, medicine, or irrigation. Same goes with guilds. The regular 7 Wonders has a Philosophers, Courtesans, Diplomats, and Workers Guild that would work well here if they were reimplimented a bit.

As far as buildings they could also add some of the buildings that didn't make the transition from 7 Wonders like the Vinyard or the Foundry as well as some new ones. Additionally some new wonders would be nice. I would like the Hagia Sophia, Petra, Stonehenge, the Great Wall of China, or the Moai. Lastly, some leaders would be great. I currently use most of the leaders in a variant with duel and it works well. But what other things would you all like to see?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Walk
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly... Not much to add here... I hope the new stuff doesn't complicate setup and gameplay just for the sake of adding more stuff... Same thing is also true for the upcoming Deus expansion...

I would have loved more of the same... Adding a new resource and some new buildings/wonders would have been fine by me ! But you never know... Maybe the expansion will put yet another twist on the gameplay, which will be appreciated by us?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksander Idziak
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel the same. New expansion seems like it's changing too much, making it a different game, not neccesary a better one. But it's hard to say without trying. The expansion that would just add more variety, without introducing many new rules, would be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wendigo song
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chize wrote:
I would have loved more of the same... Adding a new resource and some new buildings/wonders would have been fine by me

A new resource would have been interesting. I remember in the original 7 Wonders they had a loom, so a resource that was textiles might have been interesting.

alek2 wrote:
I feel the same. New expansion seems like it's changing too much, making it a different game, not neccesary a better one.

I agree completely. I was initially excited that an expansion for the game was coming out but when more details were released I found myself not understanding the logic of the designer/publisher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Starek
Czech Republic
Sezimovo Usti
flag msg tools
REALLY badass
mbmbmbmbmb
Play a few games and it'll start to feel same-y.
The main trouble in playing repeated 7W2 is that there are very few ways to manipulate the turn-card order. The Gods will (by my understanding) bring exactly that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wendigo song
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
myyysha wrote:
The main trouble in playing repeated 7W2 is that there are very few ways to manipulate the turn-card order. The Gods will (by my understanding) bring exactly that.

I'm not sure I am understanding exactly what you mean when you are talking about manipulating turn order. I say that because there are already ways to manipulate turn order in the game. The first one being that the city with the weaker military gets to decide who goes first in the next age. Secondly, there is the benefit from building a wonder and getting to take another turn. Are you talking about something different than this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Starek
Czech Republic
Sezimovo Usti
flag msg tools
REALLY badass
mbmbmbmbmb
harlemsushi wrote:
myyysha wrote:

I'm not sure I am understanding exactly what you mean when you are talking about manipulating turn order. I say that because there are already ways to manipulate turn order in the game. The first one being that the city with the weaker military gets to decide who goes first in the next age. Secondly, there is the benefit from building a wonder and getting to take another turn. Are you talking about something different than this?

No, that's exactly that. Those are very few moments out of your 30 turns.
Buying a God's favor can be performed instead of a regular turn, I believe.

Then again, I've been wrong before.

EDIT: btw. when you're being picky, the "big" 7 Wonders had 7 resources, so it wasn't just loom that didn't make the cut. The ore is also gone. But I for one believe that change streamlined the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wendigo song
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
myyysha wrote:
No, that's exactly that. Those are very few moments out of your 30 turns.

On average I noticed that in our games it happens at least once per age and maybe more depending on how you play. I just don't think that as it stands, that it is currently a weakness of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Being able not to remove a card from the tableau as your action would be very interesting indeed, as you can sometimes feel at the mercy of your opponent, who forces you into a path which leads them to taking the card you really do not want them to take, and that's not very enjoyable.

Overall, the game becomes stale fast, in my opinion, so an expansion which deeply changes it is welcome to me. I found the game too simple, the actions you can perform not very stimulating, and the overall strategy/tactics pretty shallow. Sure, you can outsmart your opponent, but it is not as deep as I would have liked it to be.

But because of the above paragraph, even if the expansion is good, I might not purchase it anyway :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Converse
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But forcing an opponent to take a card to unblock another is a part of the strategy. I won on science a few nights ago precisely in that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
philosoph0123 wrote:
But forcing an opponent to take a card to unblock another is a part of the strategy. I won on science a few nights ago precisely in that way.

I know, I do it all the time. Having more countermeasures would make the game better IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.