5 Posts

Glorantha: The Gods War» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First time playing with the P&P. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillaume Andriot
France
flag msg tools
Well I finally got to play Gods War using the PnP rules. Nobody had ever played Cthulhu Wars and I was the only one familiar with Glorantha so explaining the rules and giving a little bit of context to them took quite a while. To be fair going over what each faction is about was what took the longest. I tried my best to explain how each faction is supposed to play and also mentioned how its a bad idea to just let chaos run unopposed.

Factions where distributed randomly and I ended up with Chaos. The games started with each player kinda scattering shrines around giving me a lot of option to settle my nests. Also summonng Malia on the first turn seems like a no Brainer and I got I Fought We Won for it, penalizing all the other players right of the bat... Long story short I took an early lead and never got caught up. Thed came on the second turn and Irrupted a massive army of Broos wich I happily sent to death to get my last gifts and consolidated my nests here and there when needed.

When the rift opened at the end of turn 3 I was showered in runes. I got one for letting Yelm our of hell with Malia (suck it Orlanth!) and 2 just for being there basicly. Then later in the turn I used oblivion on 2 players putting me at five runes when nobody else had managed to get any.

One of theses runes happened to be the Man rune (Gain VP for lost minions in battle) wich I used with my Unholy Trio Gift (turn all routs into kills) definitly consolidating my allready confortable VP lead. Game ended in the fifth turn by me revealing runes putting me a 42 VP.

By the end, the other players felt it was just impossible for them to make any comeback and tought that Chaos was maybe overpowered. Altought we agreed that things might have turned out differently had they been more aggresive against me right from the start. I also think this is my fault, since I ended up playing Chaos myself I dind't insist too much on the nescessity of kicking my own butt as soon as possible.

So other random toughts on this game:

Well obviously I felt like chaos was really easy to play especially when not opposed too much. But really you have almost no effort to make to get your Heroquests, while all the other faction have to jump trought some hoops to get theirs. Chaos gifts feel very impactfull too. I guess the game must feel very different if nobody is playing Chaos.

Power is very scarce in this game, you want to get thoses buildings quickly and also the bonus power for fragments. But building and chasing heroquest really distract you from the apparent nessecity of thwarting chaos as soon as possible. Its tricky.

The game start pretty slow but the end come quicker than you'd expect. VP gains keep increasing thanks to completed fragments bonus, runes and gift effects.

Storm was very underwhelming. Granted its player was the one with the least board game experience of the group, but still. Storm Gifts didn't really impact the game at all. It didn't seem like Storm was that fighty, especially compared to Chaos or even Dark really. The Storm Bothers in particular look just like overpriced barbarians and the gift they get don't seem like a strong enough incentive to get them.

So to conclude: Don't let the guy who sort of know how the game work be Chaos against beginners. We also agreed that we should try it at least once more and see what happen when players oppose Chaos right from the get go. I'm looking forward to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! I want to hear more thoughts after you guys play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
My only comment is I'm not sure how Malia let Yelm out of Hell, because Malia's Combat is 0, and it has to be higher than Yelm's to get him out.

Also a well-played Storm is extremely challenging - he can have a LOT of spare power and can strike anywhere on the board.

The advantage of the Storm Brothers is that they can sit guarding buildings until needed and you don't have to worry about moving them. Then they pop into the fight. Frankly, they are probably one of the weaker Lesser Gods - but since Storm has what is doubtless the best Hero in the game, and his general Power advantage, I feel this is equitable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Mullen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
In my experience so far, it is imperative to lean on Chaos as much as possible. The faction favors a very aggressive approach. People who habitually play a more conservative game will, I think, find Chaos a punishing faction to deal with. You will take your losses, but if you don't take the losses, Chaos will take the lead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Andriot
France
flag msg tools
Sandy Petersen wrote:
My only comment is I'm not sure how Malia let Yelm out of Hell, because Malia's Combat is 0, and it has to be higher than Yelm's to get him out.

Woops, my bad. It was with Thed. She roled a 6 for her power when asked for permission.

I guess in our game Storm never built up the momentum he neeeded to really shine. The Champion is cool but is he really the best hero ? Rolling before battle is nice but its only 2 dices. When it works it can be great, but it will also do nothing sometimes. Meanwhile you can always rely on Arrogance and Hunger.

And yeah to deal with Chaos you have to take actions that don't really benefit you, especially at the beginning. If you don't, Chaos will take a lead and things will only get worse. The hardest part is to convince the other players to do it too. Sky can be a good motivator with his Great Decree, but the power economy of the first 2 turn of he game is super tight, so it can be risky to use them so early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.