Popular Tags: [View All]
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

We thought the discourse was bad in this country pre-Trump. This guy is so incredibly divisive, and he doesn't even care. Win or scorch the earth, or the U.S. in this case.

If he loses, will he tell his supporters to protest? Imply they should commit acts of violence?

This election is insane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

We thought the discourse was bad in this country pre-Trump. This guy is so incredibly divisive, and he doesn't even care. Win or scorch the earth, or the U.S. in this case.

If he loses, will he tell his supporters to protest? Imply they should commit acts of violence?

This election is insane.

The last 4 polls have him losing by double digits

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/pa/pe...

How really fucking stupid do his followers have to be to keep this charade up. Answer is probably really fucking stupid. For the GOP to keep supporting this cretin essentially means they have lost the moral authority to ever be let near the levers of power again. Time for another center-right party to be formed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PA has voted blue in the last 6 presidential elections. That statement is nonsense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
And yet, a mysterious website purporting to demonstrate that Trump actually leads has popped up. Run by people with no social media presence and no electronic trail...

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/whos-behind-a-mysterious...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

This election is insane.

How really fucking stupid do his followers have to be to keep this charade up. Answer is probably really fucking stupid. For the GOP to keep supporting this cretin essentially means they have lost the moral authority to ever be let near the levers of power again. Time for another center-right party to be formed

The GOP is in a tough spot. They've essentially split along the traditional conservatives, the Tea Party and the Evangelicals. The selection of Trump has shown the strength of the Tea Party element which represents a very dedicated grass roots movement.

Traditional party leaders who oppose Trump risk alienating his supporters which are a sizable contingent whose loss would weaken the GOP for some time. They could easily go Third party if and when Trump loses especially if they feel the GOP backstabbed him. Backing him risks alienating party moderates and political independents without whom they cannot win nationwide elective office. Being fractured in 2020 could easily undermine the gains they made in the 2010 redistricting which, to them, is even more dangerous than a supreme court pick.

I'd say it's less about being stupid than taking big stakes calculated risks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

This guy is so incredibly divisive...

Well, we need to be divided; that time has come.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

No country "needs" to be divided. Especially this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oldies but Goodies ... Avalon Hill and
msg tools
mbmbmb
Rulesjd wrote:
The GOP is in a tough spot. They've essentially split along the traditional conservatives, the Tea Party and the Evangelicals. The selection of Trump has shown the strength of the Tea Party element which represents a very dedicated grass roots movement.

Traditional party leaders who oppose Trump risk alienating his supporters which are a sizable contingent whose loss would weaken the GOP for some time. They could easily go Third party if and when Trump loses especially if they feel the GOP backstabbed him. Backing him risks alienating party moderates and political independents without whom they cannot win nationwide elective office. Being fractured in 2020 could easily undermine the gains they made in the 2010 redistricting which, to them, is even more dangerous than a supreme court pick.

Let's imagine this happens. Say that well-known Republicans everywhere come out against Trump. Trump's supporters leave the GOP for an unspecified third party (probably multiple third parties, but does it really matter?). The next election comes around, and Trump supporters have no political say-so. Instead of pandering to the party's lunatic fringe, Republicans nominate mainstream candidates who are pleasing both to remaining party voters and to Republican leadership.

What do the Trump voters do at this point? Some will walk away. Some will stick with whatever fringe party they've chosen. Both of those groups have the same effect: they decrease the number of potential Republican votes. I'd expect most would return to voting Republican, though. There just isn't another viable option for them.

This includes the Evangelical Right. They aren't going to vote for Democrats. Democrats gave us gay rights and gay marriage and gay wedding cakes and must be in thrall to the devil. They could try to form their own third party, and that might win them a few House seats; but those few House members would basically have to caucus with Republicans anyway. They'd get no farther even if they got that far. It would turn into a flurry of wasted energy.

No. Trump voters are stuck; at least the larger portion of them who still want to participate in the political process. They're as much stuck with the Republican Party as leftists/progressives are stuck with a Democratic Party that keeps nominating moderates instead of true believers. That's the nature of the two-party system.

If the above is true, and I think it is, then Republicans have everything to gain and nothing to lose by rejecting Trump. "Go to the polls on election day. Vote against Trump, but vote for down-ballot Republicans so that we can stop Hillary and the Democrats from completely controlling the agenda."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SPIGuy wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:

Let's imagine this happens. Say that well-known Republicans everywhere come out against Trump. Trump's supporters leave the GOP for an unspecified third party (probably multiple third parties, but does it really matter?). The next election comes around, and Trump supporters have no political say-so. Instead of pandering to the party's lunatic fringe, Republicans nominate mainstream candidates who are pleasing both to remaining party voters and to Republican leadership.

What do the Trump voters do at this point? Some will walk away. Some will stick with whatever fringe party they've chosen. Both of those groups have the same effect: they decrease the number of potential Republican votes. I'd expect most would return to voting Republican, though. There just isn't another viable option for them.

This includes the Evangelical Right. They aren't going to vote for Democrats. Democrats gave us gay rights and gay marriage and gay wedding cakes and must be in thrall to the devil. They could try to form their own third party, and that might win them a few House seats; but those few House members would basically have to caucus with Republicans anyway. They'd get no farther even if they got that far. It would turn into a flurry of wasted energy.

No. Trump voters are stuck; at least the larger portion of them who still want to participate in the political process. They're as much stuck with the Republican Party as leftists/progressives are stuck with a Democratic Party that keeps nominating moderates instead of true believers. That's the nature of the two-party system.

If the above is true, and I think it is, then Republicans have everything to gain and nothing to lose by rejecting Trump. "Go to the polls on election day. Vote against Trump, but vote for down-ballot Republicans so that we can stop Hillary and the Democrats from completely controlling the agenda."

You paint a plausible view and you may be ultimately correct. Shedding a two party system after so long bound to that model may prove untenable.

However, I'm not entirely sold on this playing out. Some of Trumps supporters might well devote themselves to the Libertarian (or some other) party while others might simply withhold their votes. Either case would thin the ranks of the GOP significantly. If the Trump people remain, the GOP might well have to contend with another such challenge in 4 years though Trump might prove difficult to reproduce.

You assume that Trump supporters WANT to participate in the political process. I think significant numbers of them actually want nothing more than to thwart the political process and bring down as much of the functioning government as they can get their hands on. So much political punditry has aggressively cast the government as the enemy and now those seeds are bearing fruit.

The Evangelical crowd might stay away from the Democrats but, don't make the mistake of thinking they are all single issue focused. Sure they don't like gay marriage or abortion rights but, many of them take rather seriously the need to be custodians of the earth and to demonstrate true charity. They are necessarily comfortable bedfellows with the sink or swim elements of the Tea Party.

A trimmed down GOP which doesn't have to justify the more nihilistic elements of Trumps people might have a better chance of swaying independents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
Sarxis wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

Perhaps the "we" is not the country, but the GOP - I think it's a fine time for the party to fracture into a sensible conservative party and a far-right lunatic fringe party.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oldies but Goodies ... Avalon Hill and
msg tools
mbmbmb
This is my dream scenario. If it comes to pass, New Republicans will ditch the social conservative agenda and will move left in order to be electable. Democrats will probably move further to the left and fully embrace the progressive agenda. The Republican Party will then be right up my alley: somewhat conservative, but not rejecting government solutions out of hand. And I'll no longer be plagued by leftists who think government is the solution to every problem. They'll be on the other side.

Fingers crossed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
And yet, a mysterious website purporting to demonstrate that Trump actually leads has popped up. Run by people with no social media presence and no electronic trail...

An "American Separatist" group from New Mexico. Ha ! Their expertise in polling must be...Uuuuuge ! LOL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That website is apparently having server issues after 538 politics ran that piece you linked to. I just tried to go there and got this message:

Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to capacity problems. Please try again later.

Time to reboot somewhere else !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
Sarxis wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

Perhaps the "we" is not the country, but the GOP - I think it's a fine time for the party to fracture into a sensible conservative party and a far-right lunatic fringe party.

I want a republican party that is truly against government spending, for small government, pro-business, isn't religiously oriented (but doesn't have to be religiously hostile), to back the 2nd amendment but also recognize reasonable protections from mass shootings, and is socially liberal (doesn't care about sex laws other than ensuring informed consensual sex, treats drugs as a personal choice and a medical issue when you can't control them and has legal safe ways to purchase them, ensures safety nets, education, and equal opportunity for all americans).

Treat abortion as a difficult terrible choice and work towards every incentive to keep mothers from wanting to abort, to provide excellent sex education and birth control and to prevent the need to have abortions.

And to start negotiating in good faith again. And to execute their appointed duties in a timely fashion.

I used to be republican. I could be again. But it went so religious and right wing, I couldn't any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:

Perhaps that meathead who ran the "Unskewed Polls" site in 2012 actually consulted someone about masking his trail.

I can only imagine how history will look back at these fantasy sites and tie it all into the mental defect that pervades most modern Right-Wingers. Delusion is the MO. If it doesn't fit the narrative/belief system, it obviously can't exist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was never a Republican -- I come from a line of farmers escaping the Dust Bowl for whom FDR was some sort of American saint -- but it's the lack of good faith thing that bugs me the most. And even now, with Trump trying to turn his failure into dollars, it still has to get worse before it gets better: Fox is sometimes too liberal, so the discriminating wingnut now goes to Infowars.

Luckily for all of us, reality doesn't give two shits about what Alex Jones thinks, so I predict a lot more "who're you gonna believe -- me or your lying eyes?" bits of complete stupidity in the near future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
Perhaps that meathead who ran the "Unskewed Polls" site in 2012 actually consulted someone about masking his trail.

That guy actually admitted he was wrong and had been misguided after the 2012 election.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
If I don't win the election was stolen and the only way to stop my opponents from stripping you of your rights is murder.

This guy has straight up set down the dog whistle and is calling for civil war. What an insane situation, and he is STILL polling at 41% of the popular vote. I'm so happy that things are actually pretty good in this country - imagine if this had happened soon after 9-11. We could literally be in a fascistic autocracy right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
PA has voted blue in the last 6 presidential elections. That statement is nonsense.

Yeah, but none of those other republican candidates were as good as Trump.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
Sarxis wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

With any luck. And then RSP will be the Surrealist masterpiece it always should've been.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulesjd wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

This election is insane.

The thing is... go ahead and alienate the Trumpies. Those are the people who are keeping independents at arm's length. Purge them from the party, but you gain on the back end. And at some point... the Trumpies will come back with their tail between their legs. After all, where are they gonna go, the Democrats? You will eventually get their votes back, but you just won't have to cater to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:

The thing is... go ahead and alienate the Trumpies. Those are the people who are keeping independents at arm's length. Purge them from the party, but you gain on the back end. And at some point... the Trumpies will come back with their tail between their legs. After all, where are they gonna go, the Democrats? You will eventually get their votes back, but you just won't have to cater to them.

Interesting strategy. Though they MIGHT end up going to the Libertarians. And then we'd have a true three party system, which might be cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

This election is insane.

Depends. These people have been fed a steady diet of red meat over 30 years, to the point that "not conservative enough" is great justification for finer and finer purges, as you well know.

The demographic time bomb has also completely blown up in their faces -- but again, it's their own damn fault.

I don't think these people are just going away. The Hannitys and Limbaughs of the world have monetized impotent rage, and that meal ticket's gotta get punched.

In spite of all I've said so far, I really do wish the GOP well in the long run.

In the short run, though, Trump is now calling journalists the lowest form of life. Although I see no reason to bring Steve Doocy into this, that Hint of Fascism by Dior means the GOP needs to stay in the wilderness for a while yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

Interesting strategy. Though they MIGHT end up going to the Libertarians. And then we'd have a true three party system, which might be cool.

I can't see that. It's hard to parse out people who genuinely support Trump from those who are pulling the "not Hillary" lever, but I have to imagine the latter is FAR bigger than the former. Combine that with the fact that the party which claims to advocate freedom both socially and economically wouldn't exactly be a welcoming place for those seeking a demagogue, and I don't see Trumpies doing anything to make the Libertarians into a viable party on their own.

What you are hoping for is that they stand off on the sidelines and watch, and while those who are currently the "not Hillary" type of voters suddenly are part of a party they can genuinely support for positive reasons, those Trumpies on the outside will become the new "not Hillary" voters of the party.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup.... looking forward to the day the old whitebred racists die off in droves.

The Cowardly Generation

bbenston wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
Rulesjd wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

This election is insane.

Depends. These people have been fed a steady diet of red meat over 30 years, to the point that "not conservative enough" is great justification for finer and finer purges, as you well know.

The demographic time bomb has also completely blown up in their faces -- but again, it's their own damn fault.

I don't think these people are just going away. The Hannitys and Limbaughs of the world have monetized impotent rage, and that meal ticket's gotta get punched.

In spite of all I've said so far, I really do wish the GOP well in the long run.

In the short run, though, Trump is now calling journalists the lowest form of life. Although I see no reason to bring Steve Doocy into this, that Hint of Fascism by Dior means the GOP needs to stay in the wilderness for a while yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.