Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game tonight with my kids, using Haven's Last Stand and Sloth with Corrupted Hobo.

It was going pretty well for us (heroes) until we got to the last step of the mission. We destroyed 2 of the 3 required monsters (she marked the Avatar and two Abominations) but she stacked the Avatar in a space with three Abominations, Dr. Gan, Controller and kept reacting to move more monsters into that space. Any melee hero who stepped in to fight was met with (no joke) 25+ Sin dice and was basically auto-killed. We couldn't muster the 7 hits required to defeat the Avatar.

Anyway, we did have a few questions come up during the course of the game:

1) Is there a monster or figure limit per space? I think no but I've been known to miss stuff in rule books from time to time.

2)"Angel's Tears" item reads "if you don't take voluntary corruption in a fight, gain 1 result of your choice." Does this mean that after rolling all dice, you add a result of your choice into the total, or change one die result to a result of your choice? I think you add a result on top of the roll but clarification would be good.

3) After a ranged attack that leaves monsters in the attacked space, is it voluntary for the monsters to move and attack or are they compelled to do so? The rules seem to indicate that they have no choice but to move and attack, however in some cases (such as when the ranged attack roll resulted in enough hits to kill whatever monster(s) might move it might be a bad idea for the Sins player do do so (especially if the ranged attack would compel a mission-critical monster to rush to its certain death).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keene
msg tools
designer
I don’t believe there is a limit but I wonder if something else went wrong there because that seems difficult to attain. The Sin player is limited in the number of monsters that can be respawned each turn and they have to be spawned on an empty nest.

That said, if it was all legitimate, it still seems like you should have been able to overload your heroes with equipment since the sin player would have to be ignoring you to stack up. The heroes should always have at least double the turns that the Sin player does. Also, make sure you are using the Orbital laser to one shot a minion each turn.

Finally, when you do attack, don’t forget that the hero chooses how hits are divided across all targets. If you take full corruption you are guaranteed 4 hits which mean you only need to come up with 3 more across special abilities and any items you might have. Your hero might die in the process but the rule book states that if all heroes die but complete the mission, they win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordnine wrote:
I don’t believe there is a limit but I wonder if something else went wrong there because that seems difficult to attain. The Sin player is limited in the number of monsters that can be respawned each turn and they have to be spawned on an empty nest.

She was spawning [number of players+1] monsters by the endgame, and putting them on empty nests wasn't an issue.

Quote:
The heroes should always have at least double the turns that the Sin player does.

The apocalypse track gave the Sins player [number of players+1 reaction tokens by the endgame, and she used her reactions to move monsters into the mega-space. She also had Sins cards that allowed for moving extra monsters during the round.

Quote:
Also, make sure you are using the Orbital laser to one shot a minion each turn.

It's actually more like once per round, and it can only destroy an abomination or acolyte. Even if we had been able to use the laser to kill all of those, she would still have the avatar, Dr. Gan and the controller in the space, which is a total of 16 dice plus additionals from burst results.

Quote:
If you take full corruption you are guaranteed 4 hits which mean you only need to come up with 3 more across special abilities and any items you might have. Your hero might die in the process but the rule book states that if all heroes die but complete the mission, they win.

This is true but in order to take full corruption the hero needs to have his/her corruption on the second to last spot going into the battle, since voluntary corruption only allows for moving it exactly one space forward (this might have changed since the original gameplay video CMoN posted). By the endgame we had relatively fresh heroes with low corruption, and it's pretty hard to get it raised to that point. You can spend turns moving in and out of spaces with corruption tokens but that's not guaranteed.

I don't think we did anything wrong rules-wise, but I'm sure we could have played it better. I was super aggressive with Thorley early on, and he went on a tear through half of the map, defeating pairs of abominations in several battles. He rolled a total of 16 dice at one point I think. He actually sacrificed himself in order to complete the second mission step (destroy 3 abominations in fights). I think in future plays we'll probably take it a bit slower as the heroes and build up more strength.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you can use a reaction to move a monster to a space that doesn't include the player you are reacting to. I haven't played yet tho so maybei'm wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
rrrrupp wrote:
I don't think you can use a reaction to move a monster to a space that doesn't include the player you are reacting to. I haven't played yet tho so maybei'm wrong?

Yup, wrong. Just can't start fights with other people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Berent
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pkreynolds wrote:
Played my first game tonight with my kids, using Haven's Last Stand and Sloth with Corrupted Hobo.

It was going pretty well for us (heroes) until we got to the last step of the mission. We destroyed 2 of the 3 required monsters (she marked the Avatar and two Abominations) but she stacked the Avatar in a space with three Abominations, Dr. Gan, Controller and kept reacting to move more monsters into that space. Any melee hero who stepped in to fight was met with (no joke) 25+ Sin dice and was basically auto-killed. We couldn't muster the 7 hits required to defeat the Avatar.

Anyway, we did have a few questions come up during the course of the game:

1) Is there a monster or figure limit per space? I think no but I've been known to miss stuff in rule books from time to time.

2)"Angel's Tears" item reads "if you don't take voluntary corruption in a fight, gain 1 result of your choice." Does this mean that after rolling all dice, you add a result of your choice into the total, or change one die result to a result of your choice? I think you add a result on top of the roll but clarification would be good.

3) After a ranged attack that leaves monsters in the attacked space, is it voluntary for the monsters to move and attack or are they compelled to do so? The rules seem to indicate that they have no choice but to move and attack, however in some cases (such as when the ranged attack roll resulted in enough hits to kill whatever monster(s) might move it might be a bad idea for the Sins player do do so (especially if the ranged attack would compel a mission-critical monster to rush to its certain death).

3) It's covered on page 36 of the rulebook. Long story short - the hero makes their ranged attack and applies damage. If any monsters are left, they will move up to two spaces and make their attack roll (against the hero's original ranged attack roll). Two exceptions - the monsters won't move if there is another hero in the space they got attacked in, and they won't move if they can't reach the hero doing the ranged attack (more than two spaces away).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keene
msg tools
designer
pkreynolds wrote:

Quote:
Also, make sure you are using the Orbital laser to one shot a minion each turn.

It's actually more like once per round, and it can only destroy an abomination or acolyte. Even if we had been able to use the laser to kill all of those, she would still have the avatar, Dr. Gan and the controller in the space, which is a total of 16 dice plus additionals from burst results.

Yes, sorry I actually meant once per round.

Still, I feel like even with new characters you should have been able to stack equipment in your favor.

Did you follow the rule that new characters gain as many items as the character that died? You place the previous heroes equipment face up next to the normal 5 upgrade cards and you get to pick which ones you want.

I don’t know which of these items are base game and expansions but some potentially very useful items here:

Flame Thrower - +2 Dice in combat with 2 or more monsters
Ice Blade - +1 Dice + 1 Defense
Energy Shield - +2 Defense
Kevlar Vest - +2 Defense
Brutality - +1 Fist
Inner Master – At the start of your turn raise or lower your corruption by 1

Also, I believe you can raise your corruption during a skill test. Since the Sin player has to put corruption tokens into play in that mission, you could potentially get two corruption per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pkreynolds wrote:
I don't think we did anything wrong rules-wise, but I'm sure we could have played it better. I was super aggressive with Thorley early on, and he went on a tear through half of the map, defeating pairs of abominations in several battles. He rolled a total of 16 dice at one point I think. He actually sacrificed himself in order to complete the second mission step (destroy 3 abominations in fights). I think in future plays we'll probably take it a bit slower as the heroes and build up more strength.

Yes. There's some pacing involved on both sides. Not just go all out at the beginning since there's 3 missions to accomplish.

I mainly use Rocco to kill Aboms in a ranged fight. Thorley is probably the best all out fighter in the base set but even his 4 shields can get overwhelmed pretty quickly.

That final mission: yes, load up on corruption and go kill the required 4 marked monsters. Remember even if there's a stack of monsters in the space, you can choose how you want to allocate damage. If you're maxed out on corruption and able to gain that final corruption bonus, it's pretty easy to take out the avatar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul G wrote:
rrrrupp wrote:

Yup, wrong. Just can't start fights with other people.

Yeah you're right... However if the sin just stalls like this you can just keep hoarding equipment and easily take out the avatar to win

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I lost as the Sins player in a similar scenario. I was rolling 22 dice but the hero rolled eight or so, with the three successes from the corruption powers and a faith roll or two it was enough to drop the avatar for the win. the hero surviving or not didn't matter at that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember you can divide your hits however you'd like, so if you have at least 7 hits, you can choose to have all 7 hits go to the avatar, and you'd win. The rules also state that if complete the mission while dying, and having no hero to replace, you win(since thematically you still have 2 heroes living).

1)There is no figure limit per space

2)Whenever a card or ability says "add" you just straight up add that result as if you rolled it

3)The monster does not have to move and attack the player as the rules state "Then, if any Monsters in the targeted Space survived, they may Move up to 2 Spaces to try and Fight back against the Hero" Normal movement rules still apply though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Also, keep in mind that monsters can't move out of a space with a hero, so you could use a few heroes standing outside of the space, so when the monsters move towards it to get inside, they have to wait outside instead. I haven't played yet, so I don't know how viable that strategy is, but if the goal is to keep monsters out of the room, that might be one way to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msyterhe wrote:
3)The monster does not have to move and attack the player as the rules state "Then, if any Monsters in the targeted Space survived, they may Move up to 2 Spaces to try and Fight back against the Hero" Normal movement rules still apply though

Look at your rules again, page 36 under "Ranged Fight." There is no "may" in that sentence:

2. Then, if any Monsters in the targeted Space survived, they Move up to 2 spaces to try to Fight back against the Hero.

It's not an option. Monsters don't like being shot at, they will move and attack unless you can set up the shot from further than two spaces out or lock them down with other heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pkreynolds wrote:
msyterhe wrote:

Look at your rules again, page 36 under "Ranged Fight." There is no "may" in that sentence:

2. Then, if any Monsters in the targeted Space survived, they Move up to 2 spaces to try to Fight back against the Hero.

It's not an option. Monsters don't like being shot at, they will move and attack unless you can set up the shot from further than two spaces out or lock them down with other heroes.

He's quoting from the PDF of the WIP RuleBook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Piper
United States
West Park
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question as to how many monsters were on the board at the time, because you only summon at the beginning of the round. That many monsters, there's not enough spaces to keep spawning. Gan, Avatar, and even the Controller all have to be spawned at empty nests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chet Zeshonski
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
akumavern wrote:
I have a question as to how many monsters were on the board at the time, because you only summon at the beginning of the round. That many monsters, there's not enough spaces to keep spawning. Gan, Avatar, and even the Controller all have to be spawned at empty nests.

If all nests are full when you spawn Gan or the Avatar, you are allowed to pick any nest space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.