Subject: My First Play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Monnat Jr
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
I was walking around the Austin Board Game Bash 2016 conference looking for something interesting. A man named Duane was setting up to teach Memoir '44. I thought it looked interesting, so I asked him to play. I helped him finish setting up with him as the British storming Sword Beach while I was the Axis forces protecting the beach and three villages. He had about twice the firepower as I, but I had several bunkers and forests for cover.

After a few rounds of trading shots on my right flank, Duane wiped out my un-bunkered infantry there to get his first of five medals to win. I reduced one of his infantry and his tank units both to one on my right flank, but he retreated with both to prevent me from scoring. That was wise of him.

Still on my right flank, Duane moved two special forces units and a third infantry around my right bunker and wiped out my infantry in it for a second medal. A little later I used my artillery in the center to eliminate one of his infantry units and get my first medal.

I had no cards for my right flank, so my tanks just sat idle in the woods. He took his two special forces infantry units and captured my right village for his third medal. I finally got an air strike card, so I used it on those two special forces unit. It wasn't as effective as I'd hoped, even though I rolled all hits, because I only got to roll 1 die per unit, or hex.

Duane used his center tanks to roll over the center village for his fourth medal. I tried using my tanks to take back the right village, but that was ineffective. The left flank Allied tanks tried to run for the left village, but I managed to destroy them with an infantry pincer movement for my second medal.

Duane's center tanks, which had been a persistent terror up my middle, fired on my last arty from the village and destroyed it with a lucky roll. That gave him his fifth medal and the win. At least I wasn't skunked.

That was really fun. Thanks Duane for introducing me to a fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to your new addiction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Monnat Jr
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:

Thank you The minis were really nice. What's the first expansion to get?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GeorgeMo wrote:
pete belli wrote:

Thank you :) The minis were really nice. What's the first expansion to get?

I would recommend whichever other theater/front you are most interested in: Eastern, Pacific, or Med.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Roberts
msg tools
Just bought the game today. already on my third solo game. It is a really fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Fardette
United States
Canandaigua
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
GeorgeMo wrote:
pete belli wrote:

Thank you The minis were really nice. What's the first expansion to get?

I would recommend whichever other theater/front you are most interested in: Eastern, Pacific, or Med.

Days of Wonder has a very good computer version, and it's free to try for the first dozen games or so. You might give it a try and you will be able to see all of the other armies/battles/etc. you can play solo against a bot, or take on a live opponent. Welcome to a great game system!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Monnat Jr
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everybody for the information. I didn't know it had solo play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also a great VASSAL module which, although it doesn't have any AI, includes all components from all expansions and many scenarios pre-setup.

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module%3AMemoir_%2744

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Monnat Jr
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Fields
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey, glad you enjoyed the game! As far as expansions go I can tell you that I like the variety that the Pacific expansion brings. I bought the Terrain Pack, which adds all sorts of cool tiles and optional rules, but there's only a few scenarios that use them. I keep thinking I'd make some up, but haven't.

I'm thinking of getting the Eastern and Mediterranean expansions, plus the Desert/Winter board. Then I can use the "proper" British troops on the Sword beach scenario.

Let me know if you want to meet up and play again sometime. I'm a member of the "Boards and Brews" meetup here in Austin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Monnat Jr
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Duane! Thank you for the introduction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald G
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whistle
dkf2112 wrote:
Hey, glad you enjoyed the game! As far as expansions go I can tell you that I like the variety that the Pacific expansion brings. I bought the Terrain Pack, which adds all sorts of cool tiles and optional rules, but there's only a few scenarios that use them. I keep thinking I'd make some up, but haven't.

I'm thinking of getting the Eastern and Mediterranean expansions, plus the Desert/Winter board. Then I can use the "proper" British troops on the Sword beach scenario.

Let me know if you want to meet up and play again sometime. I'm a member of the "Boards and Brews" meetup here in Austin.

This is really a very cool game and system of play. I have finally started to get in a few F2F games after playing online only for over 2yrs. The consensus on the Days of Wonder website for the game leans towards getting eastern front expansion early so you can get into the epic tank battles. Plus the Soviet "commissar" rule that really forces the Russians to plan ahead!!!

You may find yourself well and truly hooked as I did.

Don
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.