Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-a-clinton-landslide...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, I think those are long odds.

Closer odds might be 12 points or so, maybe 13 or 14 if Trump manages to do the completely impossible and shit himself at the debates -- which he actually needs now more than Clinton does.

I notice that Priebus is trying to have him on a short leash; he's showing up with Trump at rallies in FL, trying to keep him from lashing out too much. (Promises of juice boxes and withholding of screen time tends to work pretty well, Reince.)

All of us know, though, that it's only a matter of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I just don't see it. I feel like we're so polarized our election maps will continue to look very similar for many elections to come. I definitely think Hillary is winning, as of now, but even with her current margin I would expect a repeat of the Obama 2008 or 2012 map at best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oldies but Goodies ... Avalon Hill and
msg tools
mbmbmb
No belief that the Trump campaign is this toxic and that voters everywhere will take note of it and vote accordingly?

I had Trump winning the nomination from weeks before the primaries even began largely because he was so caustic and unapologetic. I'll admit that since then, he has surprised me. I thought that he'd tone it down a notch (but only a notch) and focus his attacks on Hillary Clinton, who is an easy target. Instead, he's continued to attack anyone who dares question him, including fellow Republicans. Instead of concentrating on the opposition, he seems to be doing his level best to turn everyone into the opposition regardless of party or position.

He really can't control his mouth, and I expect we'll hear a continuous stream of outrageous statements between now and the election. At some point, he's got to lose everyone outside the rabid few who form the inner core of his support.

Yes, a Clinton landslide is becoming a distinct possibility. Given Trump's irresponsible comments about rigged systems and stolen elections, it could be more than that. It could be an imperative for Clinton to win so big that "the rabid few" will crawl back into their holes and disappear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SPIGuy wrote:
No belief that the Trump campaign is this toxic and that voters everywhere will take note of it and vote accordingly?

I had Trump winning the nomination from weeks before the primaries even began largely because he was so caustic and unapologetic. I'll admit that since then, he has surprised me. I thought that he'd tone it down a notch (but only a notch) and focus his attacks on Hillary Clinton, who is an easy target. Instead, he's continued to attack anyone who dares question him, including fellow Republicans. Instead of concentrating on the opposition, he seems to be doing his level best to turn everyone into the opposition regardless of party or position.

He really can't control his mouth, and I expect we'll hear a continuous stream of outrageous statements between now and the election. At some point, he's got to lose everyone outside the rabid few who form the inner core of his support.

Yes, a Clinton landslide is becoming a distinct possibility. Given Trump's irresponsible comments about rigged systems and stolen elections, it could be more than that. It could be an imperative for Clinton to win so big that "the rabid few" will crawl back into their holes and disappear.

I think turning Arizona and/or Georgia in addition to winning all the swing states would be as close to a landslide as she can hope for.

Definitely don't see the map being as blue as the example. But I suppose we will see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the most extreme of the three possible landslide scenarios.

I was on my phone and it's hard to link them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Trump only has a 5% chance of being nominated. Haven't you been following the news?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But what if the Clinton-haters do manage to vote Trump into office? This is also possible:
Scenario 4: Trump wins everything
How the Electoral College would look if Trump won the popular vote by 100 percentage points over Clinton:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Osirus wrote:
But what if the Clinton-haters do manage to vote Trump into office? This is also possible:
How the Electoral College would look if Trump won the popular vote by 100 percentage points over Clinton:

Illinois would still be blue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:

I take it the swirls are storms of flames from nuclear strikes or hell on earth?

Also... the other scenarios might actually happen..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Illinois Minnesota would still be blue.

FTFY

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump nabs West Virginia for 5 and shits the bed in all other states.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Latest 538 projection

Hillary 87.8% likely to win.

Electoral votes

Hillary Clinton 361.1

Popular vote

Hillary Clinton 49.0%

It does look like Hillary Clinton's upward momentum in likelihood to win is flattening out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Latest 538 projection

Electoral votes

Hillary Clinton 361.1

Popular vote

Hillary Clinton 49.0%

It does look like Hillary Clinton's upward momentum in likelihood to win is flattening out.

I don't think she could do any better if Trump was caught on camera praying to Satan. literally about 30% of the country will vote for any R or D as long as the right letter is next to their name. What else could Trump possibly do that he hasn't already done?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
Latest 538 projection

Electoral votes

Hillary Clinton 361.1

Popular vote

Hillary Clinton 49.0%

I don't think she could do any better if Trump was caught on camera praying to Satan. literally about 30% of the country will vote for any R or D as long as the right letter is next to their name. What else could Trump possibly do that he hasn't already done?

You're seriously asking this question of The Toddler Who Needs Attention Candidate?

The man dreams up entirely new ways to suck every day. He's the goddamn Mozart of how to be a complete shitbird. 2-3 months more is plenty of time to write his magnum opus in feces on the wall.

We haven't had the debates yet. Let that sink in your imagination for a while. ("You didn't call out any Jews for 5 whole seconds! Now we're back up on top by 1 point in Georgia! Keep it up, Donald!")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

also interesting...
some insight into trump's tax returns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oldies but Goodies ... Avalon Hill and
msg tools
mbmbmb
MTV News? There is such a thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Um. HOLY SHIT. (Something I say way too often in 2016: "Well, that's a new low.")

Something I didn't know here: Manafort was trying to prop up the Marcos regime back in the day. Fun!

As long as we're siccing the FBI on people, why not send it after the Trump campaign based on some rather obvious security concerns?

Because wow, this frigging guy.

Betsy Woodruff wrote:
But over the years, they made millions by representing a rogue’s gallery of clients far away from D.C.’s genteel corridors of power: dictators, guerilla groups, and despots with no regard for human rights—including one man responsible for mass amputations, and another who oversaw state-sanctioned rape.

So which arm is the one you use the most? Just make sure the other one's waving at Donald J. Trump!

Edit: yes, it's the NYT.
Yes - it's also blood in the water. And Trump has been fairly shitty about calling out journalists in front of his deranged supporters to the point that some reporters have had to get Secret Service protection out of his own damn rallies.
Even though Trump's win percentage stands at around 10% on 538, I'm now thinking it can get even lower. He's the most amazing candidate I've ever seen in my lifetime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
But Hillary!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Preisach
United States
East McKeesport
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Trump only has a 5% chance of being nominated. Haven't you been following the news?

Don't you mean Joe Biden?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tagge
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SPIGuy wrote:

+1 on this. It really was Trumps election if he just managed to buckle down after the convention and turn his gaze to Clinton (and focused like a laser on her health issues). At this point he is just like a poor sport who makes bad moves rather than concede. The GOP bowed down and proceeded to back him. Then he goes straight to attacking military vets. WTF man?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
mtagge wrote:
SPIGuy wrote:

+1 on this. It really was Trumps election if he just managed to buckle down after the convention and turn his gaze to Clinton (and focused like a laser on her health issues). At this point he is just like a poor sport who makes bad moves rather than concede. The GOP bowed down and proceeded to back him. Then he goes straight to attacking military vets. WTF man?

This was never Trump's Election. The electoral college favors the Dems because you can't gerrymander state lines, and this is a problem the pubs will face for years going forward, they will probably still dominate local elections because they've (get this) 'rigged' them so they can win.

Couple that with the fact that you have a successful and popular democratic president mean this was probably always going to be a dem landslide. Whether it was Hillary or Bernie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb

Anything is possible, I suppose...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
sikeospi wrote:

Anything is possible, I suppose...

From the same poll I believe:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
But again: single polls are worse than useless as they can be very misleading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.