Subject: 5th Supply Cube Showdown rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played this game again, this time with 4 players. It definitely took longer than when I played with just 2 players, but everyone loved it and agreed it was a winner of a game. However, we found an interesting hangup develop as we played. The game stalled when everyone got 4 supply cubes built as no one wanted to be the person to add their 5th supply cube for fear of a visit by Phineus Pillbottom. We went quite a few rounds this way as everyone was doing everything but add that supply cube. The game kind of dragged at this point for a while. I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced something similar and what you did about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
elac yenwod
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I played two games tonight and I saw a lag at that point as well but we didn't completely stall. Eventually you have to move forward to start scoring points. It's only 5 points and you can always push phineas somewhere else with a well timed bribe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Couch
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I see that happen a lot with new players. I say embrace everyone else's hesitation. Seek them out. Use them to achieve the Open Claims that much faster. There are some that you can complete with Outlaws alone, and you can get those Outlaw characters much faster and for less cost than the Citizens!

Thanks for playing! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elacyenwod wrote:
It's only 5 points and you can always push phineas somewhere else with a well timed bribe.

Not sure what you mean by this. Having Phineus means supply cubes cost 3 gold instead of 2 which hurts you a lot if you are building them and bribing is expensive which is hard to do when gold is already scarce due to the higher supply cube cost. Are you referring to Sydney Smythe who is -5 points at the end of the game? He is not a big deal to get early in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What Van Ryder Game are YOU playing?
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertCouch wrote:
I see that happen a lot with new players. I say embrace everyone else's hesitation. Seek them out. Use them to achieve the Open Claims that much faster. There are some that you can complete with Outlaws alone, and you can get those Outlaw characters much faster and for less cost than the Citizens!

Thanks for playing! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the game.

Yep, lots of things you can do. Also I'll start snagging up the tile that gives you cubes and hold my cards that give cubes. Then I will jump at the chance to spring ahead. But then I am probably looking to move Phineus the first chance I get after that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Wiant
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This only happened on our first game. After that, everyone realized he's not that bad, and there are plenty of claims that require him.

The benefit from completing tiles is far better than his penalty.

In addition to bribes, there are also several saloon cards to move people characters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.