Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zenvious
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I get started, know that I've only just ordered this game and have not yet received a copy. Thus I have no idea what each faction's Advancement Cards are, nor what all their fleets can do (and I know those will be huge influencing factors to answer this question).

Anyway, my question is in the title, so let me explain why I asked it.

Having gone through the Rulebook a few times, I struggled to see the benefit of Impulse movement at all. Even the shortest space lane lengths (2-3 'squares') at impulse 2 would require 2 commands to get through - which is the same amount required to travel that distance at Warp. And attempting to travel a 4-length lane at impulse would require 3 commands (which is +1 more than trying to fly it at Warp).

If a faction were to increase their impulse drive by +1 (to 3) things would become a bit more open in possibility as 2-length lanes could be moved through for 1 command (making it more efficient than Warp travel). However the 3-4 length Lanes at impulse would again take as long to travel in Command usage as it would to attempt it at Warp.

Thus it seemed, even if you were to improveme your Impulse, it would only benefit traveling 2-length lanes at the most. Everything else would be wiser to be done at Warp, as that not only gets you to travel at the same speed for short distances, but also is SIGNIFICANTLY more effective at traveling vast distances.

As such I started to wonder "what is the point of this then??"

I did then notice Retreating HAS to happen at Impulse drive (which is where my question comes in) and I figured that would have to be where it is used, to act as a balance-buffer/ penalty for running from a fight. I assumed it was going to go along the line of 'you cannot enter warp in a starlane' which would force you to limp to the nearest system before "bamf'ing" away.

But when I read on, it turned out that Warp CAN be performed in a Star Lane. Thus making impulse drive again seem more of a 'tacked on' trait, than something of tactical significance to be used or considered.

Am I reading this right? Am I missing something?

Cause as it stands, I feel that basic Impulse should be increased to 3 so 2-length lanes can be crossed for 1 command in the early game, and 3-length lanes can be crossed for the same once you increase you impulse engines. That would increase command efficiency for local travel, and make Warp even MORE viable for distant travel.

As it stands, with none of my knowledge of the full Advancement decks of the original 3 factions (very much looking forward to gaining that knowledge), I cannot see how this would be a game breaker. Rather I see it as a game improvement for increasing choice, without reducing mechanical effectiveness.

Plus I think the Cardassian's would like this (since I HAVE seen their full deck of advancements, and none of them improved their impulse drives at all!). But thats just me.

Thoughts? Please convince me I've missed something :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I was also wondering what the point of impulse was, especially in the late game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
while a 2-impulse speed doesnt get you across a 2-spacelane into the next system, it does get you adjacent to that system.
this is important for combat where you know the rival will not let you enter his system and you plan to attack him, then getting adjacent is enough and saves you a command to fight.

another use of impulse speed is to establish spacelanes, it allows you to enter a new spacelane, thereby checking its length (given the roll of the spacelane die) and if you dont like the result you can use that 2nd sector move of your impulse to go back to the system you came from and discard that spacelane, to try again to get the desired length on a next move.
at warp you couldnt do this as efficiently.

certainly, if your opponent decides to put single ships in sectors in spacelanes to force you to move/engage and use up more commands than normal, then moving at impulse is enough

in general, using impulse is really dependent on the situation and there will indeed be times that its useful.
overall, impulse is used about 25-30% of the time and warp 70-75% of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mayer
United States
Perry
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was taught the game at GenCon, the teacher shared one good use. Making uour way down a warp lane and siting on the last space prior tona system. Defensively, if another player enter that system, they are forced to stop in that system. If that system is one that can potentially cause damage, that is a bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenvious
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
another use of impulse speed is to establish spacelanes, it allows you to enter a new spacelane, thereby checking its length (given the roll of the spacelane die) and if you dont like the result you can use that 2nd sector move of your impulse to go back to the system you came from and discard that spacelane, to try again to get the desired length on a next move.
at warp you couldnt do this as efficiently.

This I do like - the "one step forward, one step back" has nice merit. Feels a little unthematic... but then I can see how it could come in handy.

Question - and no specifics need be given - do any of the factions gain an increase to their Impulse speed via Advancements??

The Example Federation page shows he Cochrane Institune increases Impulse by +1. All good! :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Impulse does a few things that Warp doesn't.

Blocks space lanes.

Can get you adjacent sectors in a 2 space lane with only one command.

They have said that you can increase impulse speed. 2 increases will pretty much replace Warp for all distance neighboring systems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe a gencon visitor can confirm this, i think that each race has a single tech to get +1 impulse

but +2 impulse would only be possible if you steal one from an opponent

if you would change the spacelane die to 2-2-2-3-3-4 as a variant rule, then impulse would become a bit more useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Federation has a technology that increases their impulse speed to three. The other factions do not have a way of increasing impulse speed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blocking lanes with impulse speed can be important in defence. For example if you have a 3 space lane with each space having 1 ship on it your opponent will need to attack 3 times to get through that space lane.

For offensive uses they give an example in the rulebook sure the Klingons blocked all the lanes out of a sector they were going to attack so the federation had no space to retreat to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what might be missing currently in the game is situations that would make warp speed more dangerous, as to incite players to move more cautiously at impulse.

it could be in the form of discovery cards; if you fly into the system at warp you cant avoid the hazard, while at impulse you detect the danger before flying into it.

it could be in the form of sabotage; a specific tech that if researched can be exhausted once per turn to sabotage 1-3 ships so they can only travel at impulse speed this turn. would be a nice way to foil an opponent's attack or limit the nr of ships he can send your way.

or a specific phenomenon that prevents warp travel through its sector.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
What if each warp speed increase you gained also gave you +1 space to impulse movement? Then impulse would still be relevant for short-ish distances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.