Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's going to be a ball at the palace in seven days and we've got a lot of dresses and coats to make, resources have to be bought, decorations have to be funded, we need some temporary help and some employees are getting tapped to go work at the palace. And there's the Queen's favor to consider... it's a busy, hectic time!

The base game of Rokoko is busy- there's a lot to do and only limited resources so there are choices to be made about how to spend your money and which employees to hire and which ones to have do different tasks. The jewelry workshop gives even more choices- and in the middle of all of this, it gives the opportunity to hire more and different employees and have your in-house employees take exams to advance in rank.

It does give some extra ways to gain resources as well, both money and tiles, but it doesn't give you so much that it undermines the resource allocation choices.

The new employees are also nicely high powered- it's really worth the time and money to invest in them.

Possible downsides are that Rokoko is a big game- it takes a lot of table space and this makes it bigger. Rokoko has a fairly long and complex set up- this makes it longer and more complex. So far, setting up the game takes me about twenty minutes to half an hour. And it extends the playing time- both the income phase and the refill phase are a little longer because there is more to fill. Also it's almost certain that you will run out of player markers before the end of the game.

However, if you like Rokoko, it's not likely that you dislike lots of fiddly bits, longer set up times, larger playing spaces and lots of choices for all your resources. The jewelry box does just what an expansion should- it expands the base game. It makes it larger and more complex with more choices to be made and more ways to build a winning strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks I'll be adding this to the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'll like it a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
francie berger
United States
ellington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments, I can't wait to get my hands on this- Rococo has been my favorite for almost 2 years now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mowgli95 wrote:
Thanks for the comments, I can't wait to get my hands on this- Rococo has been my favorite for almost 2 years now!

You're going to have so much fun! It's like a whole new game... but just like the one we love.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
benjamin CLOVIS
France
flag msg tools
mb
Rococo has been a smashing success at our game group (i've brought it out twice, and am due to bring it a third time in three weeks), and now I have the extension. yay.
Now please allow me a variation of my favourite joke:
An englishman a frenchman, and a german are debating as to which language is the most beautiful. The Englishman, says "obviously it is english. Take for example the word "jewellery" here we have a hard stone, and yet the word "jewellery" when pronounced is soft and languorous. It perfectly describes the two sides of precious stone"; The frenchman says "non non mon ami, clearly it is french, for when pronouncing the word "bijou" your lips end up in the shape of a kiss. French like the bijou is all about seduction". The german fellow looks at the other two and says "VAT IZ WRONG WITH SCHMUCKKATCHEN?!?"
whistle
(original joke is papillon, mariposa, butterfly, and SCHMETTERLING!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wren08 wrote:
However, if you like Rokoko, it's not likely that you dislike lots of fiddly bits, longer set up times, larger playing spaces and lots of choices for all your resources. The jewelry box does just what an expansion should- it expands the base game. It makes it larger and more complex with more choices to be made and more ways to build a winning strategy.

Thanks for the review Gretchen. This helped me confirm that this expansion is not for me. I went and bought the promos with extra dresses. That seems more along the lines of what I was interested in.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
veector wrote:
wren08 wrote:

Thanks for the review Gretchen. This helped me confirm that this expansion is not for me. I went and bought the promos with extra dresses. That seems more along the lines of what I was interested in.

Cheers.

I'm glad my review was helpful! The extra dresses are much fun... getting one up to the fireworks is always a nice end game boost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.