$35.00
dennis becker
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi guys, I know, it's a tough game but I like it a lot and was able to achieve a few victories in the solo conquest, also in the Blitz-conquest with Wolfhawk and Krang, both played by me.

What I can't imagine is how to win a scenario where you encounter the red city as second or third to conquer.

MAN! First, two dragons make approach difficult, especially if I want to invite another player to storm the city. What's worse though is that unblocked enemies do double damage.

I played the solo for the first time in two years again and boy was it impossible to win it because red was the second city...I cannot possibly specialize on blocking alone in the first rounds, so I have to allow them to wound me...
Well, after first attack I left with 28 damage to eat, but with my units and a rest it was still ok, I guess. But oh, of course I had to do it all again. Again, I left with my ass beaten and a laughing dummy-Norowas then quit the game.

Yesterday, I got some friends to try the blitz. Everybody was having a godd time until we came onto the red city.....let me just say, my partner quit after he got the guys with 11 attack who caused him 22 damage alone. It frustrated the hell out of the other two how impossible it seemed to even get the second (red) city, not to speak of the third one. Well, since I have won already, I still like this game, because I know it's possible.

But I claim that the percentage to win with the red city involved is very very very low. If you're lucky.

Any thoughts on that??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just like any other city, cancel attacks, use siege, approach from the North... there are a lot of options available that don't involve block-heavy builds or dragon-bashing.

I usually find the White city the most annoying to conquer. There's always the chance with red that you'll face elemental attacks and not have to worry about the brutal buff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like when encountering the Red City, probably one of my favorites, along with the White one. Here are some first ideas:

* Rig the map. In solo or cooperative scenarios you have the leisure of actually deciding where you will reveal the core tiles. Leaving intentionally holes in the map and revealing later on the core tiles there "from behind" is a well-known trick to skip the hurdles. In general, the core tiles share a tough frontier, while the back is well undefended.

* Advanced Actions, Skills or Spells letting you leap over spaces. Wings of Wind, Underground Travel/Attack, Flight (Goldyx), Temporal Portal, Space Bending are a few of them. Use them to leap over to the back of the city tile and attack the city from there.

* Spells providing ranged (elemental) attack. Fireball and Snowstorm are great dragon killers.

Benkyo wrote:
I usually find the White city the most annoying to conquer. There's always the chance with red that you'll face elemental attacks and not have to worry about the brutal buff.
I really like the Keep next to the White City. Conquering it makes the city so much easier... Not to mention the Spawning Grounds! It is though the most annoying as it's the easiest to forget the defenders' ability, the +1 armor. Gods, I tend to miss that even now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis becker
Germany
flag msg tools
Well, thank you for solving issue no 1: of course I forgot about the fact that the brutal buff goes only with physical attack...I assigned it to ALL the enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Erb
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mb
TheRiot wrote:
Well, thank you for solving issue no 1: of course I forgot about the fact that the brutal buff goes only with physical attack...I assigned it to ALL the enemies.

That might go a long way to make it easier : )

I'm in the boat with the white city being most annoying. The keep helps, but rigging the map will often help you have a keep in reach of other cities, too, and if you haven't taken more than one keep I often find a magical glade more helpful, anyhow.

I don't actually find the red city all that hard - I'd rank it third, after blue (really annoying to have all the elemental guys gain more attack, in particular the paralysing ones), but before green (who cares about poison on a couple guys).

There are excellent threads around on the boards on how to take cities.

In the base game, I found the second one is often almost trivial - you're just so beefed up from the first, and since you can burn anything you have (after all, you won't need it afterwards) there are so many ways to just annihilate your opponents without any attack ever making it through to you. The Siege Buff from Althem, Banner of Fear, Wings of Night, Earthquake + a bit of Siege, Underground Attack, the two spells that strip Fortification - there's so many possibilities to completely break the city advantage you'll almost always be able to pick up at least one before the final assault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.